Light-O-Rama Forums

TIP: How to mount RGB strips, CCRs or ropelight to roof line.

TJ Hvasta

I'm doing this with my dumb RGB strips.. slipping the strips inside 3/4" PEX (Lowes Vanguard, $5/10'; HD Sharkbite, also $5/10') cold-water drinking pipe.. the color shining thru the pipe is amazing!! For CCRs, you could zip-tie them to the outside of 1/2" or 3/4" PE (thin wall) or Sched40 (thick wall) pvc pipe.. Once thats done, get a BUNCH of spring broom clips, the kind that separate when you push the handle into them.. slide them off the long bar, screw them to the front of your eaves/rafters. Then push the 10' (or 16' ttl length) pvc pipe with the CCR/RGB Strip zipped to it, into the clips on the front of your eaves. Goes up in like 5 minutes. Would work for any type of strings, mini's C5, 7, 9's. Snap your whole length of lights into place in minutes., No hammering/nail bending, stapling, or hook screwing needed.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202305506/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=broom+clips&storeId=10051&relatedSearch=broom%20clips#.UDL8L91lREN

My RGB strips are on 1/2 inch strapping tape with clear heat shrink holding them in place, with D-rings on both ends for attaching them.

I'm doing this with my dumb RGB strips.. slipping the strips inside 3/4" PEX (Lowes Vanguard, $5/10'; HD Sharkbite, also $5/10') cold-water drinking pipe.. the color shining thru the pipe is amazing!! For CCRs, you could zip-tie them to the outside of 1/2" or 3/4" PE (thin wall) or Sched40 (thick wall) pvc pipe.. Once thats done, get a BUNCH of spring broom clips, the kind that separate when you push the handle into them.. slide them off the long bar, screw them to the front of your eaves/rafters. Then push the 10' (or 16' ttl length) pvc pipe with the CCR/RGB Strip zipped to it, into the clips on the front of your eaves. Goes up in like 5 minutes. Would work for any type of strings, mini's C5, 7, 9's. Snap your whole length of lights into place in minutes., No hammering/nail bending, stapling, or hook screwing needed.

http://www.homedepot...ps#.UDL8L91lREN

TJ, you come up with some very simple but amazing tips. Brother, we appreciate it. now I know how to do that when I get to it. Thanks.

• Like 1

would you happen to have any photos of this?

I don't right now, but I will take some. Or are you talking about the first post?

I don't right now, but I will take some. Or are you talking about the first post?

I would like to see pics of all the scenerios talked about here.

I use these from ACE Hardware.

I zip tie my C9 (red, green, white) to 3/4 sch40 PVC. I used a clip approx every 3'.

I mounted the clip on the underside of my eves. Lights face down. It's different than most ppl. but I like it. It hides the clips so you don't see them when looking at the house straight on.

I can put up the outline of my house in less than a hour.

Edited by dknahoolewa

I would like to see how you hang your up. ill be doing rgbs for my roof line and have thought of tie raping them to pvc or even angle iron.

I would like to see how you hang your up. ill be doing rgbs for my roof line and have thought of tie raping them to pvc or even angle iron.

I think I would do the PVC before the angle iron.

I made a star out of standard RGB ribbon last year, and also put it in the "cloudy" water tube to help with the color distribution. I had a heck of a time getting it inside the tube so I ended up just slitting the tube down the entire length and putting it inside (the ribbon was already outdoor-rated. The results looked great, like a neon tube, even from the bottom.

Here's a pic of what it looked like during setup:

megastar1.jpg

I don't have a great "showtime" pic of it working but this gives you an idea of the light spread. Without the tube, the portions of the tube pointing up would be nearly invisible:

imgp6045.jpg

Edited by Tim Fischer
  • Like 2

Thanks Ron.. trust me, it isnt talent, its just repetition =) I saw this on YT a couple yrs ago.. one guy put his lights up in abt 4 minutes using this method. He used the bigger "broom" vclips tho.. I think the smaller ones (first link) would be a bit easier to hide/blend in..

I'm going to look for several sources for small spring clips this weekend, either the type from HD (larger fingers) or some smaller ones.. I posted a couple pix and links in the CCR section about these clips.. I'll post what I find..

this is one I think would be perfect.. small, low profile, stainless..

http://www.elitespri...pring Clips.JPG

http://transconn.com/img/gutekunst-spring-clips.png

http://www.gibsongoodtools.com/

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Looks great Tim, where did you get the water tube from.

Lowes. HD has it too, and I'm assuming any hardware store would.

Thanks 'mate, I've got a bunch of commercial ropelight but it isnt cutable (or at least, no marking where to cut it). 'think I'd have to go with mini's, but that'd prob work if I can find/use the water tubing..