Light-O-Rama Forums

HolidayCoro's Tiny pix

zanclus

I have a few HolidayCoro Tinypix contriollers snd was wonderinh if I can use E1.31 with S3 to run my ws2811 pixels. I have 2 of their actidongles but would have to purchase another which I'd rather not have to.

If you have less than a full DMX universe, you can use the Actidongle and the Tinypix controllers without having to go E1.31.

How many pixels are you trying to control?

You have enough hardware to control two universes right now. For another $50 you could have another universe.

Get one of these: http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=157

and then read this: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=E1.31_Bridge#Programming_the_EEPROM

I have a total of 4 of the TinyPix and will be running each one from a different port.

I have a  total of 300 ws2801 pixels  (2- 150 pixel strands)and  also 100 ws2811 modules. I  have 3 Tinypix controllers,  2 Actidongles and  an ENTTEC open. For some  reason  the  Enttec does not  work  correctly. I have  never  used  it ,except to  test  the  strands ,the   colors are  all wrong and  the modules   "flicker".  I was planning on  putting the 2801s on  my  roof line and using the 2811s on  an arch  at the  end of  my  driveway.  My  budget is  spread thin as of  now  due  to  building a 16'x64' deck on the  back of  my   house for  my  daughters wedding in the  spring.

I   am unable to   build circuit boards from "kits" due to the  fact I  am legally  blind and    small  parts and I  don't  play  well  together....lol

Edited by zanclus

Get one of these: http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=157

and then read this: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=E1.31_Bridge#Programming_the_EEPROM

I have a total of 4 of the TinyPix and will be running each one from a different port.

Can I  purchase one of  these bridges already  built?

Not sure but I think not.

Jeff McIntyre on one of the facebook pages will build it for you. I think he charges $10 for one of these. He has a bunch already built and tested. Once he receives your kit he will turn around and drop one in the mail for you. You have to pay the shipping also but thats normal.

If you get in touch with him, I think when you order yours, have it shipped straight to him and that will save you a shipping charge.

The facebook page is "Introduction to RGB"

Edited by Ron Boyd

... For some  reason  the  Enttec does not  work  correctly. I have  never  used  it ,except to  test  the  strands ,the   colors are  all wrong and  the modules   "flicker". ...

The Enttec Open model has a characteristic of using your computer's CPU power to generate the DMX timing and may "stutter" from time to time, depending on what your computer is doing at the time.

The Enttec Pro model works just fine, as does the Actidongle and DMX Fusion Pro and the small Dmxking micro. No problems with these units.

I asked David at HC and he said I could use a balanced output from an E682 and run one of these. You can also run it with the Bridge mentioned above. 

PC/E1.31-->Switch-->6 port Bridge-->TinyPix or 27 Channel controller. Take your pick.

--> E68x

Hopefully I understood what he was telling me or I have a rude awakening coming soon. I plan on running all 4 of mine from the 6 port bridge.

Edited by Ron Boyd

The Enttec Open model has a characteristic of using your computer's CPU power to generate the DMX timing and may "stutter" from time to time, depending on what your computer is doing at the time.

The Enttec Pro model works just fine, as does the Actidongle and DMX Fusion Pro and the small Dmxking micro. No problems with these units.

I am using the holidaycoro dongle with the tiny pixel controller and it does slightly stutter from time to time but not that noticeable for what I am doing with it.

I will invest in a Enttec Pro next year.

I asked David at HC and he said I could use a balanced output from an E682 and run one of these. You can also run it with the Bridge mentioned above. 

PC/E1.31-->Switch-->6 port Bridge-->TinyPix or 27 Channel controller. Take your pick.

--> E68x

Hopefully I understood what he was telling me or I have a rude awakening coming soon. I plan on running all 4 of mine from the 6 port bridge.

I am not sure what the "switch" would be ... Can you please explai Ron?

Network switch  ---  Your computer (PC) --> RJ45 cable --> network switch --> RJ45 cable --> 6 port bridge --> TinyPix

You can get it from most electronic outlets (BestBuy, on-line, eBay, lots of places)  $18 to $35 for a 4 port switch.

The Network switch passes E1.31 traffic only.

The 6 port bridge receives E1.31 incoming and spits out regular DMX on each of it's six ports, and in Ron's case above, delivers one universe to each of his Tinypix controllers. (well, he's only got four of them right now)

Edited by Ken Benedict

I just got a tinypix I don't believe it will work with E1.31 only dmx with adapter

You are correct.

I am using the holidaycoro dongle with the tiny pixel controller and it does slightly stutter from time to time but not that noticeable for what I am doing with it.

I will invest in a Enttec Pro next year.

The Actidongle should run without any "stuttering" problems.

You might want to check your computer to see what else is running (and maybe shouldn't be) that may cause short delays.

You should have Wi-Fi and auto-updating turned off and any virus scanners.

See if your hard drive is being accessed at the same time as the stutter.

I have a  total of 300 ws2801 pixels  (2- 150 pixel strands)and  also 100 ws2811 modules. I  have 3 Tinypix controllers,  2 Actidongles and  an ENTTEC open. For some  reason  the  Enttec does not  work  correctly. I have  never  used  it ,except to  test  the  strands ,the   colors are  all wrong and  the modules   "flicker".  I was planning on  putting the 2801s on  my  roof line and using the 2811s on  an arch  at the  end of  my  driveway.  My  budget is  spread thin as of  now  due  to  building a 16'x64' deck on the  back of  my   house for  my  daughters wedding in the  spring.

I   am unable to   build circuit boards from "kits" due to the  fact I  am legally  blind and    small  parts and I  don't  play  well  together....lol

Each of your 150 pixel WS2801 strings will take up 450 channels (or 2 universes)

and the 100 pixel WS2811 string will take up 300 channels (60% of a universe).

There shouldn't be a color problem with the Enttec Open unless you have a Network Definition that doesn't match it's characteristic (raw dmx).

Or your PC is overloaded and may not be able to keep up with the sequencing (see above).

If everything's working properly, you should be able to do what you have in mind without spending much more.

There's two other Caution areas for you: running power that far may need "power injection" or maybe supplying power at each end of the strip. Second Caution is the distance to the first WS2811 pixel should not exceed 25 feet from the controller; as long as you can put your Tinypix controller and power supply close to the actual string, you should be OK. Some people have inserted "dummy" or "ghost" pixels to re-amplify the signal.

FYI: here's the difference between the 2801 and 2811 pixels: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/22698-ws2801-vs-ws2811/

Edited by Ken Benedict

The Actidongle should run without any "stuttering" problems.

You might want to check your computer to see what else is running (and maybe shouldn't be) that may cause short delays.

You should have Wi-Fi and auto-updating turned off and any virus scanners.

See if your hard drive is being accessed at the same time as the stutter.

I will check that out. Thanks!

I would first like to say thanks to everyone who have shared their knowledge. I am going to purchase another Actidongle for this season. Next season I will then use the E1'31 route.  My setup will be as follows:

Computer-----Actidongle----->Tinypix----->ws2801s

----->Actidongle----->Tinypix----->ws2801s

----->Actidongle----->Tinypix----->ws2811s

----->Enttec. Open-----> HC 27 channel controller-----> dumb  strips with Coro stars and canes. 

All controllers are mounted in waterproof boxes and will be mounted within 5' of 1st pixel. Power will be injected as needed...

Edited by zanclus

The Network switch passes E1.31 traffic only.

The 6 port bridge receives E1.31 incoming and spits out regular DMX on each of it's six ports, and in Ron's case above, delivers one universe to each of his Tinypix controllers. (well, he's only got four of them right now)

Key words here are "right now". With the way my yard is and the smaller elements im using, its just easier to use the single universe controllers. I do have an E6804 for my mega tree but am only using 4 full and 360 channels of the 5th universe. Still a lot of wasted space on it. If I run it in multicast, im only wasting 1 and change of a univ. Unicast on the other hand 7 plus universes are wasted. Edited by Ron Boyd