Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing Contest!

George Simmons

Well, since Brian has seen fit to disperse the inner workings of his process, it's only fair that I do the same...

What I did was I initially set up various scores ranging from 29 - 57, and then as I watch the first eight seconds of each sequence, I'd indiscriminately assign it one of those scores.  That way I make no disparagement of a person's actual sequencing ability, nor do I actually even need to view each sequence in it's entirety.  My process is certainly quicker than Brians, having taken me less than five minutes to judge all the sequences. 

And then, to make doubly sure that there's no bias, I changed all the sequence ID numbers and randomly ranked them on a list. Then, I gave sequences in the top half of the list seven extra points, and for the rest I deducted eleven points from each score.  That assured there would be no ties.  Then I fed all the date into the LOR randomizer (a feature of the Advanced software level that most people have never even heard of before) and came up with all the final scores.

All in all, it seems like a much simpler process than actually having to watch each and every sequence, and it has the added virtue of eliminating the need for me to have to wash my eyes out with soap between the viewing of each submitted sequence.

Awh man,  now my head is gonna explode !!    I thought sequencing was bad enough !!  LOL  :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PMC

• TonyD

• Brian Mitchell

• George Simmons

Well, since Brian has seen fit to disperse the inner workings of his process, it's only fair that I do the same...

What I did was I initially set up various scores ranging from 29 - 57, and then as I watch the first eight seconds of each sequence, I'd indiscriminately assign it one of those scores.  That way I make no disparagement of a person's actual sequencing ability, nor do I actually even need to view each sequence in it's entirety.  My process is certainly quicker than Brians, having taken me less than five minutes to judge all the sequences. 

And then, to make doubly sure that there's no bias, I changed all the sequence ID numbers and randomly ranked them on a list. Then, I gave sequences in the top half of the list seven extra points, and for the rest I deducted eleven points from each score.  That assured there would be no ties.  Then I fed all the date into the LOR randomizer (a feature of the Advanced software level that most people have never even heard of before) and came up with all the final scores.

All in all, it seems like a much simpler process than actually having to watch each and every sequence, and it has the added virtue of eliminating the need for me to have to wash my eyes out with soap between the viewing of each submitted sequence.

Glad to see that you're keeping it fair, George. On a COMPLETELY unrelated topic (yeah that's it, unrelated...) do you accept PAYPAL?

Glad to see that you're keeping it fair, George. On a COMPLETELY unrelated topic (yeah that's it, unrelated...) do you accept PAYPAL?

LMAO!

A lttle less conversation and a little more judging, :P  who is the winner, its not like you guys had 7000 entries here :P

Hey - mind your manners... you don't know how tough it is trying to determine whether a lighting event occured precisely on the beat or whether it was a centisecond or two off the mark...

We said we'd get the winners announced on or about today, and in true LOR fashion, I guarantee they will indeed be announced sometime prior to June.  :D  :D  :D

Edited by George Simmons

Hey - mind your manners... you don't know how tough it is trying to determine whether a lighting event occured precisely on the beat or whether it was a centisecond or two off the mark...

just be the lights.....feel the lights....

We said we'd get the winners announced on or about today, and in true LOR fashion, I guarantee they will indeed be announced sometime prior to June.  :D  :D  :D

that reminds me   whan is the summer sale?????????? ;)

Spring Sale is in April, if that helps

As for my technique for judging, I use a Spin-It Prize Wheel I put everyone's name on a space and spin it 4 times,  that's so everybody has a shot, and to make it theme oriented I put some LED lights around the outside rim of the wheel and when I spin really hard I get a headache, just like what the wife says to me everynight

Edited by PMC

Guest Don Gillespie

LMAO :D

I have to ask, do you think the TSO posters are a worthy prize for 1st or 2nd place?

Considering we started this for bragging rights, I would say absolutely.

I have to ask, do you think the TSO posters are a worthy prize for 1st or 2nd place?

If you're trying to decide if 1st/2nd should get the gift cert or the poster perhaps it could be up to the winners to decide what they want?

Tough choice,  $50 would get me halfway to the new DC board I wanted to add this year, but the TSO poster could go next to my gold pan I had autographed by Jack, Thurber, and Todd (Plus two of the newbies) from Gold Rush.

Tough choice, bling for the yard, or bling for the garage?

I'd take either, but kinda leaning toward the certificate, but could go the other way if I had to...

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

forget the sequencing.. I want to judge the judging...  :P:lol:

This are too good not to be rated! 

Then I will judge the judge that is judging the judges. :D  (or more commonly I will judge you on how you judge the judges) Bribes are accepted.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

If you're trying to decide if 1st/2nd should get the gift cert or the poster perhaps it could be up to the winners to decide what they want?

I was going to let the first place winners decide on what prize they wanted, either the LOR gift card, or the TSO poster and 2nd place gets the runner up prize, I was thinking of emailing my contact for Mannheim Steamroller and get some prizes from them, and more stuff from TSO if we do this contest next year, and since the radio stations I work for sponsor each TSO and Mannheim when they come to Pittsburgh, I should be able to score some nice stuff

I even have these, I was looking around my office and I have a few of these, and they are autographed by Paul O'Neil (I'm not giving these away, but I could add them for next year though)

Edited by PMC