Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie looking for all the advice he canget

Premier

For anyone interested, here's my closing song. This is preceded by the thank you and goodnight announcement. If you don't watch the whole thing, be sure to check out the last minute.

http://vimeo.com/57293220

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

I used the animation window, but the Visualizer came out in 2012 and offers a lot of flexibilty and tools for representing your display that are not offered in the animation window.

Best of luck to you!. It is a fantastic hobby!

thanks for taking the time to offer up all the great advice.

got tons of CAT 5 here at the shop, picked up a box at a garage sale for free, several starnds of 100' and several more shorter. Am only planning on 32 channels this year so the two 100' should do the trick no problem. Am sure as I get more and more addicted to this I will be adding a lot more controllers in the years to come.

Great post on the snubbers, never thought of that and they look super easy to make.

And yes, got my animation window close to what the display will be and the visualizer synched, and spot on to what I have planned to display. They really helped not only in the sequening part but seeing what I could and could not do by only having two controllers. Its great and fast sequencing with the animation window then running the entire sequence or just portions through the visualizer to make sure I am getting the effect I want.

Interesting choice on the closing video ( and yes I watched it all ), while it definately could work for a late night show, not sure if I would want that in my earlier shows, I plan on being at the Nursery early to set up the donation cans and what not, unsure if I want all the kids to see me as the "lunitic on the lawn!"....LOL although am sure my better half already thinks that I am. Considering the Carol of the Bartenders for the late night closer and an earlier suggestion of the old stand-by "we Wish you a Merry Christmas" for the earliest shows///but am always open to new thoughts and others inputs!!

Thanks again, this forum is great!

I try to be a good Samaritan AMAP and buy local. There are many things that seem cheaper online, but when you add in shipping, your time and risks of online ordering, and not having the item right there in your hand, Its often the same price or cheaper to buy local.

Lowes or Wal mart may not be "local", but they do employ local people, and a lot of your dollar stays local. Ever try to return or exchange anything online?... forget it!

tj

I try to be a good Samaritan AMAP and buy local. There are many things that seem cheaper online, but when you add in shipping, your time and risks of online ordering, and not having the item right there in your hand, Its often the same price or cheaper to buy local.

Lowes or Wal mart may not be "local", but they do employ local people, and a lot of your dollar stays local. Ever try to return or exchange anything online?... forget it!

tj

Well I am in such a small town that we don;t have any big box stores like Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot etc within an hours drive of us. And as that we are a small local business I always try to do business here in town first, but always have my favorite back ups via the web.

Thanks TJ

Oh, and, you need a good and very visible sign telling people that your lights are synced to music and what frequency. I personally use a sign place like vistaprint and then have a spotlight on it. Some people make their own. That's up to you, but it's an important component.

Oh, and, you need a good and very visible sign telling people that your lights are synced to music and what frequency. I personally use a sign place like vistaprint and then have a spotlight on it. Some people make their own. That's up to you, but it's an important component.

Good advice, used Vista print years ago when we first started the Landscape/Nursery business, then found 123Print ( dot ) com, much more flexible on the design aspect if the designing part is something you like to do and often times better prices. They did up huge vynal banners for us last year, for way less than anyone else could do, the quality and fast shipping was a-one.

So I will definately do that and have it spot-lighted. Don't want to go to heavy on outdoor speakers as I wouldn't want to annoy the entire neighborhood for hours each night. Annoying those in their cars is enough for me ;)

Also got together with our both our small twice a week newspaper and small local radio station yesterday, sounds like they are both on board to advertise the shows next year as well since we are raising contributions for our local food bank. ( not to mention the fact that I spend a ton of money on them each and every month and they wouldn't want to lose their accounts.... :lol: :lol: :lol: )

For anyone interested, here's my closing song. This is preceded by the thank you and goodnight announcement. If you don't watch the whole thing, be sure to check out the last minute.

I had no trouble watching the whole thing :). Really, really awesome! How do you ever keep track of so many elements? Easily one of my very favorites of the year.

Thanks Tony.

After a while the various elements pretty much keep track of themselves. Really, they do...

My memory is another thing however, and for IT, I've got a few detailed spread sheets.

The true devil's in the details of plugging everything in where it's supposed to be.

Welcome to the madness!

I have some advice from a now Sophomore Christmas Light addict as last year was my first year.

Go to your local gathering! For you it is the NW CLAP (North West Christmas Light Addiction Program). There an announcement about it in the Coffee Shop that has all of the details. Definitely a must for newbies. Come join us, there are folks coming from as far as California, so from the coast isn't really that bad. Oh and did someone mention extension cords, yes you will need extension cords, lots of extension cords. (Or just skip to SPT 1 or 2 and make your own cords)

-RainyOregonChristmas

Matt thanks for the plug! I agree, we have a lot of talent here in the NW. Here is the direct link:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25885-2013-pacnw-regional-clap-mtg/

Just a thought but since you might be doing a "public" not a "private" show would you need to have UL approved controllers? Any thoughts from those in the know?

Amazing. And wow! What an ending! Truly awesome, George.

Couple questions, if I may...

How many strobes on how many channels? I love the randomness and am trying to figure out how to achieve this, albeit on a smaller scale. I'm definitely willing to dedicate multiple channels, though.

What type of product are you using to form the triangle on the garage gable? I love some of the effects you're using.

OK.

I'll probably get banned for this...

RUN AWAY!

AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

The comment in my signature is not a joke!

tj

OK.

I'll probably get banned for this...

RUN AWAY!

AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

The comment in my signature is not a joke!

tj

LOL< I haven't even plugged in my first light yet and already I know I have gone down the perverbial rabbit hole....no turning back now though!

Maybe I should start up L.A. ( Lights Anonyomus )

Or C.A. ( Controllers Anonymous )

But afraid if we had a twelve step program we would all sequence lights to it!!!