Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie looking for all the advice he canget

Premier

Okay, so after seeing all the wonderful lighting sequences on TV News broadcasts and YouTube during this last season I finally talked my better half into going for a full animated Christmas at our small shop in oregon for this next season. I downloaded the LOR Software a week ago and have been totally obsessed with it. Been programming a 32 channel show for next year ( have 4 sequences done and working on # 5 ), and am sure after the wife sees it in action she will allow me to buy more controllers and even more lights. I did scoop up on a ton of great extension cords and Holiday Lights right after Christmas. I haven't purchased the controllers yet. So for the newbie here are my questions...

1.) Best time to buy? Thinking about waiting for the Feb/March sale but I read somewhere that there is a new GEN3 coming out and the Controller Kits may no longer be available.

2.) I have two great intro's sequenced so far for my planned show(s), but having a complete mental block on what would be a great closer other than the Carol of the Bartenders by Bob Rivers ( anti- drinking and driving song ) Does anyone have a great song or songs they like using as a closer???

3.) Having issues with the whole foreground/background thing. What is a proper way ( if there is one ) to do things like fades/chases/Shimmers and being able to adjust intensity all at the same time?

4.) Lastly and most importantly I quess I better ask before I find out too late, other than Controllers, My PC, the FM Transmitter and the connector for USB, is there anything else I should look to be planning on buying? Would hate to get this thing up and ready and then find out I am missing something and can't start the show.

Haven't even turned a single bulb on yet and already I am hooked......

Hmmm, I notice one thing that is missing from your list you may want to buy.....

LIGHTS!!!

Edited by magish01

thanks for the replies.

1.) "Plenty of extention cords !!! Plenty of power?

Plenty of Power, we own a nursery ( plants, not kids ) and power/outlets is not an issue, as up to now have had a 20k+ light/inflatables static display, just want to change it from static to chorographed.

2.)"Do a search on the EDM transmitter. The Whole House one that LOR sells is not recommended by most members."

Read through previous posts and found what appears to be an excellent FM Transmitter and additional exterior antenna, so any and all visitors should even be able to get good if not great reception even from across the street in a huge parking lot.

3.) "LIGHTS!!!"

Already got em, plus picked up another 400.00 worth ( LEDS/Candy Canes/Etc.) right after Christmas, so I should be at nearly 30k in lights for this up coming year. Only ones I may be shy on is orange bulbs as I am considering doing a smaller Halloween show for a few weeks so any bugs and issues can get resolved before the larger Holiday show.

4.) "MP3 Player"

Since this will be at my business rather than my home and I wont be there for the entire run of the shows, and probably not there every night it runs I really want the computer to run the whole thing, On at dusk, pre show lights, pre show announcement, run the show, run a after show sequence all night and off at dawn. Plus as I already have a interior/exterior security system wired as well as the computer linked to my home computer, I can pretty much actually monitor the whole thing from my house any time.

5.) "READ"

Been doing quite a lot of that as well as watching tutorials on YOuTube, etc, but I tend to learn either by hard knocks or just by doing it. Have been having a great time programming sequences and have learned a lot just by correcting my own mistakes.

Still wondering, what are some great closing songs?

So far I have the a mix of techno, comedy and old time songs on my list to include, but figuring out which one to close with is tough.

Appreciate all the replies!

Welcome to the madness!

I have some advice from a now Sophomore Christmas Light addict as last year was my first year.

Go to your local gathering! For you it is the NW CLAP (North West Christmas Light Addiction Program). There an announcement about it in the Coffee Shop that has all of the details. Definitely a must for newbies. Come join us, there are folks coming from as far as California, so from the coast isn't really that bad. Oh and did someone mention extension cords, yes you will need extension cords, lots of extension cords. (Or just skip to SPT 1 or 2 and make your own cords)

-RainyOregonChristmas

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas
  • Like 1

Okay, so after seeing all the wonderful lighting sequences on TV News broadcasts and YouTube during this last season I finally talked my better half into going for a full animated Christmas at our small shop in oregon for this next season. I downloaded the LOR Software a week ago and have been totally obsessed with it. Been programming a 32 channel show for next year ( have 4 sequences done and working on # 5 ), and am sure after the wife sees it in action she will allow me to buy more controllers and even more lights. I did scoop up on a ton of great extension cords and Holiday Lights right after Christmas. I haven't purchased the controllers yet. So for the newbie here are my questions...

1.) Best time to buy? Thinking about waiting for the Feb/March sale but I read somewhere that there is a new GEN3 coming out and the Controller Kits may no longer be available.

2.) I have two great intro's sequenced so far for my planned show(s), but having a complete mental block on what would be a great closer other than the Carol of the Bartenders by Bob Rivers ( anti- drinking and driving song ) Does anyone have a great song or songs they like using as a closer???

3.) Having issues with the whole foreground/background thing. What is a proper way ( if there is one ) to do things like fades/chases/Shimmers and being able to adjust intensity all at the same time?

4.) Lastly and most importantly I quess I better ask before I find out too late, other than Controllers, My PC, the FM Transmitter and the connector for USB, is there anything else I should look to be planning on buying? Would hate to get this thing up and ready and then find out I am missing something and can't start the show.

Haven't even turned a single bulb on yet and already I am hooked......

1)anytime! when I decided to go LOR, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the controllers. The last thing I wanted to do is wait for a sale, but now looking back, the saving is nice. but again its up to you...as long as its here before the time to set up.

2) my closing was made by -kevin dunn, known as the demented elf. a well known voice over guy around here. everyone loves his work. he is the man. not to step on any toes, there might be others out there that I don't realize that to this is well. I just said Kevin because Kevin has always done all of my work. And to me he's the best at what he does. I improve the statement.

3)you can get very creative with LOR. really the only way to help you find out, is by doing what everyone else here did which was practice,practice, practice, practice. you also have the ability to watch tutorial videos, found here on the forum and on YouTube. and you get to read a lot of great documentation put together by the Lor God's. you will definitely pick up the hang of it, and I definitely think you have gone to the right place, myself and all the other guys here are really helpful. If you get really Stuck on something ask people we surely help if we can.

4) that is definitely another go is you learn question, and every set up is very technically different than another. All the basics that you will definitely need to get from your computer to lights are set up and dan's ....Light-o-ramas website and forums here. so you can read a little bit. But I think you've got the basics. Except for a ridiculous amount of extension cords. If you think you have a number in your head of what you were expecting to need for extension cords, I personally would tell you the double it. You never know , you might want to move something you didn't expect to move it that means you have to run extension cord around the world to get to it whatever the case might be. You can never have enough extension cords. You might want to go wireless between your boxes, you might want to use CCR's, or pixel lights, which takes you down a whole norther Road of thinking. Oh, I would also have more lights then you expect to use the first year to.just have an idea that lights blowout during your season, if their incandescent lights you can just change the bulbs, some LED lights let you change the bulbs as well, there is a ton of LED lights out there that most companies sell nowadays that are all self encased lights. Which means of ego LEDs and you can change it and one light dies, and you're like most of us here you change the entire string. So a good rule of thumb that I've picked up over the years, I keep tee box for each type of bulb filled with about 10% of my lighting as backup / extra lights. So if things go wrong I can pull stuff out of that box and put it out in the display.

hope this helps.

4)

A couple of minor things you might keep your eye out for are things to help with the installation. Zip ties, wire, gutter clips, etc. Start planning on where will the controllers go, where will all the lights go, etc. This year I had a ton of hooks, masonry screw eyes, etc. that I need to install before I got the lights up.

Also make sure you have enough power. If you're on LED chances are you are fine on one circuit. Having a watt meter is always a handy thing to have.

Welcome to the madness!

I have some advice from a now Sophomore Christmas Light addict as last year was my first year.

Go to your local gathering! For you it is the NW CLAP (North West Christmas Light Addiction Program). There an announcement about it in the Coffee Shop that has all of the details. Definitely a must for newbies. Come join us, there are folks coming from as far as California, so from the coast isn't really that bad. Oh and did someone mention extension cords, yes you will need extension cords, lots of extension cords. (Or just skip to SPT 1 or 2 and make your own cords)

-RainyOregonChristmas

Tried looking up NWCLAP, couldn't find anything but posts about a meeting last year, any direct link? web site? etc????

Wheres the "Coffee Shop""???

1)anytime! when I decided to go LOR, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the controllers. The last thing I wanted to do is wait for a sale, but now looking back, the saving is nice. but again its up to you...as long as its here before the time to set up.

2) my closing was made by -kevin dunn, known as the demented elf. a well known voice over guy around here. everyone loves his work. he is the man. not to step on any toes, there might be others out there that I don't realize that to this is well. I just said Kevin because Kevin has always done all of my work. And to me he's the best at what he does. I improve the statement.

3)you can get very creative with LOR. really the only way to help you find out, is by doing what everyone else here did which was practice,practice, practice, practice. you also have the ability to watch tutorial videos, found here on the forum and on YouTube. and you get to read a lot of great documentation put together by the Lor God's. you will definitely pick up the hang of it, and I definitely think you have gone to the right place, myself and all the other guys here are really helpful. If you get really Stuck on something ask people we surely help if we can.

4) that is definitely another go is you learn question, and every set up is very technically different than another. All the basics that you will definitely need to get from your computer to lights are set up and dan's ....Light-o-ramas website and forums here. so you can read a little bit. But I think you've got the basics. Except for a ridiculous amount of extension cords. If you think you have a number in your head of what you were expecting to need for extension cords, I personally would tell you the double it. You never know , you might want to move something you didn't expect to move it that means you have to run extension cord around the world to get to it whatever the case might be. You can never have enough extension cords. You might want to go wireless between your boxes, you might want to use CCR's, or pixel lights, which takes you down a whole norther Road of thinking. Oh, I would also have more lights then you expect to use the first year to.just have an idea that lights blowout during your season, if their incandescent lights you can just change the bulbs, some LED lights let you change the bulbs as well, there is a ton of LED lights out there that most companies sell nowadays that are all self encased lights. Which means of ego LEDs and you can change it and one light dies, and you're like most of us here you change the entire string. So a good rule of thumb that I've picked up over the years, I keep tee box for each type of bulb filled with about 10% of my lighting as backup / extra lights. So if things go wrong I can pull stuff out of that box and put it out in the display.

hope this helps.

4)

Everything helps, thanks so much!

A couple of minor things you might keep your eye out for are things to help with the installation. Zip ties, wire, gutter clips, etc. Start planning on where will the controllers go, where will all the lights go, etc. This year I had a ton of hooks, masonry screw eyes, etc. that I need to install before I got the lights up.

Also make sure you have enough power. If you're on LED chances are you are fine on one circuit. Having a watt meter is always a handy thing to have.

Zip ties!!! Yes, will have to keep an eye out for those. I already figured out all the lights, and found a great idea of how to pre-install all the lights using PVC pipe, which I have a ton of around here at the Nursery. So I am planning on cuttining PVC Pipe to the lengths of my eaves, Marking each one with which eave they go to, attaching the icicle lights to the PVC and hangers ( J Hooks ) in the building itself. So when it comes to install time all I have to do is take the appropriate piece of PVC with the lights already on them and hang them in the J hooks and plug em in. Simple install and simple tear down. Will do the same with the other lights as well.

Have got a good idea where the controllers are gonna wind up, but have to actually walk the area with a tape measure and make sure of exactly where they will wind up.

All great ideas, thanks so much!

only thing I can add is monoprice (you can get a case for what you might spend for three packs at Lowe's) for your wire ties, tons for dirt cheap. Also I use "We wish you a Merry Christmas" as my closer, real slow and kind of fades off.

Edited by caniac

only thing I can add is monoprice (you can get a case for what you might spend for three packs at Lowe's) for your wire ties, tons for dirt cheap. Also I use "We wish you a Merry Christmas" as my closer, real slow and kind of fades off.

Great idea for the closer, saying to my self "duh why didn't I think of that "

What is Monoprice? Tried goggling it, nothing came up other than a company that does antennas and such...got a link so I know whatyou are talking about????

Thanks again

Coffee Shop is in the midway part of the forums. The announcement is most likely back a page or two. Or go to www.nwclap.org

The Feb/March sale you are talking about is usually in March, though I have heard rumors that it will be in April this year. The best prices of the year are at that sale. Quantities are very limited, though. And stuff sells out in less than 5 minutes. So if you don't have a very quick trigger finger, you may not get controllers at those prices. There is also a sale that has typically been in the summer, but in the past few years it has been later than that. The prices in that sale are not as low as in the Spring sale, but quantities are not limited.

The threads you are reading about GEN3 'coming out soon' are from two years ago. GEN3 controllers are already out. As I understand it, one of the major advantages of GEN3 is that it has ghost loads built in that make smoother fading when using LEDs. I use 'snubbers' to achieve that.

A recent thread discussing people's experieinces with GEN2 and GEN3 is here:

http://forums.lighto...en3#entry243232

Instructions for making snubbers are here:

http://forums.planet...ubbers-to-make/

You really do not have to have your controllers until very late in the year. In 2011 a newbie on the forum (I don't remember who) had all their sequencing done, props made, all the lights and everything set out in the yard with extension cords already going to where his controllers were going to be. He went live within a day or two of getting his controllers.

You will need Cat 5 cables to daisy chain the USB connector and all your controllers.

And if you want sound without people having to listen in their cars, you will need a radio or speakers and a reciever.

One of my biggest pieces of advice is to invest some time up front to set up the animation window or visualizer to closely match what your display is going to look like if you have not already. This will give you a really good idea of what your display is going to look like before you have all your stuff set up.

Here is a video of my animation window from 2011:

Here is a video of the same song in real-life in my display:

I think they are pretty darned close!

I used the animation window, but the Visualizer came out in 2012 and offers a lot of flexibilty and tools for representing your display that are not offered in the animation window.

Best of luck to you!. It is a fantastic hobby!

http://www.monoprice.com

Great prices on zip ties and cat5.

I try to be a good Samaritan AMAP and buy local. There are many things that seem cheaper online, but when you add in shipping, your time and risks of online ordering, and not having the item right there in your hand, Its often the same price or cheaper to buy local.

Lowes or Wal mart may not be "local", but they do employ local people, and a lot of your dollar stays local. Ever try to return or exchange anything online?... forget it!

tj

Oh, and, you need a good and very visible sign telling people that your lights are synced to music and what frequency. I personally use a sign place like vistaprint and then have a spotlight on it. Some people make their own. That's up to you, but it's an important component.

I agree completely with the monoprice.com recommendation. Their prices for cat5 cables are about 10% the price you'll find locally. And either monoprice or Harbor Freight for zip ties, again at a fraction of the local cost.

(Sorry TJ, but when local merchants quit trying to rape me for $9.95 for a pack of 100 8" cable ties while Harbor Freight runs them on sale for a buck, maybe I'll consider it. Or when a local merchant sells a 50 ft cat5 cable for less than $59, or a 100 ft one for less than $79. You go ahead and buy local, but I'll take that extra set of CCBs that I can buy with my annual savings.)

As for closing song, don't put too much into that because on most nights there probably won't be many, if any, people there at closing. (If I look outside and see the street full I usually extend the show until there's only a couple cars left. YMMV.) Any song will do, actually. If you follow it up with an announcement thanking people for coming by and saying goodnight, they'll get the message. My first year I used Web Footed Friends by Mitch Miller and the Gang for a closing song. Since 2009 I've used a live version of Brain Damage / Eclipse by Pink Floyd as my closing song. Yeah I know - they're not traditional Christmas songs. But so what? I'm the one out there bringing the traffic cones and donation box in and I'll darn well listen to whatever I want. You should too. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Sounds like you've got your head on straight and are doing it right Premier. With that approach, you'll find no lack of help here. I'd wish you luck but it doesn't sound like you're gonna need it. So instead I'll wish you fun.

Welcome to our madness.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1