Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel mega?

Aaron Maue

Trying to decide how to implement my planned pixel tree for next year. I was originally planning to do a full 360-degree megatree, but seems like a waste of at least some of the pixels, as not all will be able to be seen by my guests. Also, not sure whether I'll like the look of some of the effects I'm envisioning (scrolling text, clip art, etc) on the full tree, not knowing whether I'll be able to see the effects when looking through the tree.

So, for anyone who's done a pixel tree (of any implementation - 2D, 180-degree, 370-degree) do you have any videos posted that might give,e a view of how yours looked? I've seen a few of the 2D ones and I saw the 180-degree one done in the Colony Christmas Spectacular. Would like to get as many perspectives as possible.

Take a look at this thread which has some videos of a 30 string pixel mega tree in action.

I am planning on doing a 24 string pixel mega tree next year. I will set it up in my backyard in march or april to start playing around with it and will most likely take some videos.

Im going to do a 85 pixel tall, 32 strip half tree. As you cant get to the back side as my display has to be most 2d as I dont have a yard to use in a townhouse this will be my center piece.

I built a 2d strip tree last year because of limited space and the fact that i like to use lots of animations in my show. The tree was a smashing hit my way

Take a look at it in action

I saw your video for this and last year and was wondering what your top center pixel screen consist of as well as the software to run it is.

Could you also tell me who sings the little drummer boy in your 2011 show.

Thanks

John (oldandslow)

I saw your video for this and last year and was wondering what your top center pixel screen consist of as well as the software to run it is.

Could you also tell me who sings the little drummer boy in your 2011 show.

Thanks

John (oldandslow)

I have a basic how to on the matrix which an be found here http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,148.msg712.html#msg712

I use LightShow Pro for my display

The song was given to me from my brother who had a techno mix album he bought a few years ago, So i have no idea who actually sings it

and here are two more with 360 degree trees

Here is some with a 360 degree tree

For my tree i used 20 x 120 flex strips on a half megatree.

It is my experience that the effects get better and better when you get the vertical spacing closer. For any given number of strings, animated gifs, pictures and most all effects look better by building a 180 degree tree.

There would be some cool effects on 360, but people cant seen the back of my tree since it is near the house (http://nutcracker123.com)

Wow. All of these are amazing. Thanks for the examples. Giving me some good ideas.

BrianBruderer - I took a look at yours in the post from Ron Boyd above. You say that you're using clear wire loom. How are you "mounting" the CCPs inside the tubing? Specifically, I'm wondering how you're keeping the weight off the CCP string itself as well as how you're maintaining a consistent spacing between the pixels.

Here is a person who built a half megatree. They sent me the links because they used nutcracker effects on their megatree.

Smeighan, Could you find out some detail on his tree or even a email so I can make contact. Thanks in advance for your time as I start to get into the pixel stuff.

Jeff

I have a basic how to on the matrix which an be found here http://auschristmasl...712.html#msg712

I use LightShow Pro for my display

The song was given to me from my brother who had a techno mix album he bought a few years ago, So i have no idea who actually sings it

Thanks for the feed back. I did watch your how to video and while building the matrix looks doable the sequencing looks very confusing and a lot harder than doing a song in LOR..,

I did join Auschristmaslighting to learn more about the Pixel strips and the tips from the people on the forums.

If I get the confidence I might try the matrix this year.

Again Thanks for the feed back.

John (oldandslow)

Here is a person who built a half megatree. They sent me the links because they used nutcracker effects on their megatree.

I love this mega. And this fellow is only a few miles from me. Who knew.

nhays could you stop in and gather some information and maybe some pictures as I want to see base design and top design. This will provide me a way to keep them in a line. He did a great job with this tree setup.

Jeff

Guest Don Gillespie

What is everyone mounting their pixels on? I would imagine a strong wind could do some damage, this will be my first year using pixels and I have been looking at Sean's info about nutcracker on the sequencing portion of things.

Right now I am thinking 3/4 inch PVC with the clothes line wire inside from top to botton to hold it in place. Thing I will use rebar t's to hold bottom and mount the PVC on it. 5 will do one this year bet on it.

Jeff

nhays could you stop in and gather some information and maybe some pictures as I want to see base design and top design. This will provide me a way to keep them in a line. He did a great job with this tree setup.

Jeff

Jeff

Actually, I have been speaking with him and plan to do so.

That is GREAT News Sir.. Getting things together now before fishing season starts.. Boss says she will be fishing this year with me or with out me. Better keep her happy so she will give me a bonus to buy Pixel's and controllers this year. LOL

Jeff

<snip>

So, for anyone who's done a pixel tree (of any implementation - 2D, 180-degree, 370-degree) do you have any videos posted that might give,e a view of how yours looked? I've seen a few of the 2D ones and I saw the 180-degree one done in the Colony Christmas Spectacular. Would like to get as many perspectives as possible.

I did a 12 string flat pixel tree for my animation only show. The entire "show" is just over 7 minutes and is available at:

What is everyone mounting their pixels on? I would imagine a strong wind could do some damage, this will be my first year using pixels and I have been looking at Sean's info about nutcracker on the sequencing portion of things.

I built a frame using unistrut and ran 1/8" aircraft steel cable with the pixels ty-rapped to the cable. I did a web page that has some photos that explains it better.

http://www.k6ccc.org/pixeltree/index.html