Light-O-Rama Forums

Major problem - Losing audio as the night progresses

Tim Fischer

(In case you are wondering,it's an IO Gear 4 Port Dual View KVM, and it's being returned as soon as I press the POST button on this).

"Not a creature was stirring...except for the IO Gear 4 Port Dual View KVM mouse..."

Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Well, the trend ends. Tonight I lost the video portion of my show. I have added details about the issue in the thread I consider more relevant:

Ironically, since there is no video window, I can't really be sure that the audio issue is fixed either, since that seemed to be caused by the cursor wandering over to the video window and the scroll wheel activating.

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens....

The reason for the new KVM (that has long since been sent back), was for the new computer I was building. I've never gone all out on a build, and this was my XMas present to myself: 4GHZ 8 Core, 32GB, ASUS 990FX2 MB, GTX670 graphics card. All of it unlocked and overclockable.

Today I jumped into the BIOS to fool around with some settings. The BIOS on this thing has a really nice graphical interface that you can use a mouse with. I had hooked up my MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000.

My computer was POSSESSED. The cursor was jumping all around, and worse -- it was sending random button clicks as well. I'm sure there were some mouse wheel events in there too. I killed the power before I really screwed up the BIOS. Thinking that maybe the receiver wasn't completely in the USB slot, or something else user related, I changed things around, changed batteries - same issue. I even plugged the receiver into a USB 3 port - same issue.

I went back to my wired mouse and everything worked AOK. I booted all the way into windows, and the wireless was behaving. Back to the BIOS and it was possessed.

I have NO explanation as to why it is doing this. I would blame this on Windows, but mine was doing it in the BIOS setup screen. I would blame this on USB 3, but this was hooked up to USB 2 & 3 with the same result..

Wish I had come across this post earlier in the year. I've had audio issues too this year. Shows starting with no audio for an hour or more. My wife saw it most times as I was at work, but I did have it happen to me a time or two to me. I have a wired mouse, but no video elements in my display. The only fix I found was restarting the computer and it would come right back. I had chalked it up to the memory leak, which I have not updated for yet. I will update it tonight after I shut down the show for the season. I'm taking from my wife's years of pagination experience, "Never let your computer updated on a deadline day." As Christmas season is my "Deadline," I let it ride.

My post is not to suggest that other people (like yourself) who are experiencing audio issues have the same issue that Tim (and myself) have with random mouse movements.

My post simply confirms that YES, I've seen weird wireless mouse behavior and that Tim is not crazy.

and that Tim is not crazy.

You may have trouble convincing a lot of people of this fact...

You may have trouble convincing a lot of people of this fact...

I have to admit I thought you were slightly crazy when this came out. I had seen random mouse movement stuff before, but not as bad as you described.

Now with this new BIOS thing, I can fully attest that you are not crazy. At a minimum we are both equally nuts.

• Like 1