Light-O-Rama Forums

Water in a controller - Advice needed

Redbirdruss

Anybody else use Corrosion X on the boards?

Many on the builders on the DIY sites use this stuff and some claim a properly covered board will run wet. I wouldn't try it however. I think the downside to this stuff is it makes a mess if you try to repair the board if needed.

I find it best to keep them locked up and sealed up except for a minor opening to breath.

I wonder if filling the box with rice would work? I dropped a cell phone in water and everyone said pull the battery out and put in a container with rice. had it in there for 3 days put the battery back in and worked like new.

I wonder if filling the box with rice would work? I dropped a cell phone in water and everyone said pull the battery out and put in a container with rice. had it in there for 3 days put the battery back in and worked like new.

If it was submerged (like the cell phone) that might be an OK choice, but otherwise it probably is overkill, especially based on everybody's responses with the above approaches. One difference is that you can't get to all the internal parts of a cell phone, so the rice helps to pull the moisture out, whereas all the internal parts of the controller are accessible so nowhere for the water to "hide".

Cant say that I am familiar with that product name. What is it?

basically its a souped up version of WD-40

http://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-Space-Age-Lubricant-Penetrant-aerosol/dp/B0081TEZJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355762590&sr=8-1&keywords=corrosionx+90102

David Moore from HolidayCoro recommends it as a water displacement/corrosion prevention spray for CAT5 connectors. Especially when running power over the CAT5 line.

Bob