Light-O-Rama Forums

Water in a controller - Advice needed

Redbirdruss

This morning, as I was troubleshooting an exterior speaker issue (varmints!), I found one of my controllers with the door wide open. We had some light rain this morning and the controller was definitely wet inside. I also noticed that the mini trees it was connected to were lit up. I immediately unplugged the controller from power and dabbed as much water as I could out of the enclosure. I then placed the controller, with the door open, in my half bath because it is probably the warmest, driest area in the house. I am hoping that it will dry out before tonight's show. I have some questions. 1. What other precautions should I take? Should I pull all of the connectors free? 2. How long will it take for it to dry out? 3. What are the chances I will have issues with this controller going forward? 4. I have a spare controller, should I just replace the wet one for this years show? If anyone has experience with this issue, I would love to hear from you. Thanks Russ

Hi Russ - I had the same thing happen last year - left the door open and it got rained into.

I opened the controller and put it over a heater vent and the warm air dried it out in just a couple hours. No need to remove dongles or anything. I took it back outside, plugged it in and it has been working fine since then. As a precaution, if you have a spare controller, I'd suggest this might be an excellent time to put it to use, just in case....

Edited by George Simmons

George

Is your keyboard repeating itself?

George

Is your keyboard repeating itself?

:P

Gary - are you hitting the bottle again already this morning???

You seem to be seeing double.

I thought your rehab was going better than that...

Well, drinking isn't what they say will cause you to go blind...

Do your palms have hair growing from them, perchance?

• Like 1

Having experienced the same issue, I took the controller inside and put an old blow dryer in it and partially shut the door (turned on low heat). It dried out thoroughly in no time (be careful as some newer higher wattage dryers could be a fire hazard!)... :o

Cum on now Gary, I can't believe that someone living in California would be such a big JERK that they wouldn't know how they got that hair on their palms and not know how to keep it OFF.

And I'm not referring to your trees... okay, maybe your twig...

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Well, drinking isn't what they say will cause you to go blind...

Do your palms have hair growing from them, perchance?

Having experienced the same issue... :o

Great back to back posts.

Cum on now Gary, I can't believe that someone living in California would be such a big JERK that they wouldn't know how they got that hair on their palms and not know how to keep it OFF.

And I'm not referring to your trees... okay, maybe your twig...

well this post is a happy ending and is wrong on so many levels

To follow up. I left the controller over a heat register for about 6 hours. I had the time and wanted to be sure it was completely dry. Hooked it up, secured the door, and it has been working ever since.

Guest wbottomley

I just discovered a door was not properly shut on one of my units. I left it open for tonight as the rain has ended. Tomorrow when the sun comes out and the wind begins to blow, hopefully it will dry out and all will be good.