Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Visualizer?

Guest guest

LightORamaDan wrote:

With LOR II your sequences and your lcc files can be used. You just open them up just like you do today. The software will notice that they are LOR I formatted files and convert them automatically.

Yes, I understood the convert and use. I was thinking of needing to modify the channel placement "drawing" to use the new .jpg image ability.

Sounds like the options are:
1) start new
2) use converted (not full benefits of starting new???)

I was hoping to
3) migrate and enhance.

No worries. I have my christmas layout now. My Halloween is 50% done. I needed to start, it seems that 64 channels takes a little bit of time.... ;)

And if I can actually do option 3 - bonus!

And in 2008, I get to use HolidaySoft, right?!? From what I've seen, that will be uber-cool. :P

rns

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smjosephrn

• beeiilll

• RickMosher

• rstephenrrtx

• 5 weeks later...

Shortly after the PC Plus, the Holiday Lights website said it would be available in November, but that has been removed from their website. Speculating here, but perhaps they had to push that back since the final version of LOR II has not been released yet (LOR II Gamma version only). Maybe they are waiting for the final version of LOR II to come out so that they can make sure the two programs will interface properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael M wrote:

do you have the right site there? good lord its popup

Noticed another page after i posted...

http://www.holidaysoft.com is the right place, the first posted site there seems to be a squatter (the www holidaylightsdesigner com)

Yes it is a squatter. I would be nice if someone would/could edit that first post and correct the URL.

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded the demo of Holiday Lights Designer and found it pretty frustrating.

I would expect that drawing strings of lights would be like drawing lines in PowerPoint (or any other drawing or photo software). When you click to start a string, the line should follow the mouse pointer until you release the mouse button. Instead, you click, it drops a light and you have to guess where a straight line is from that point and click again for the string to be drawn.

I tried drawing strings of lights around the windows of my house and could never get a square shape, it was always skewed.

You have to use the buttons on the screen to move the view or zoom which is lame too.

Didn't play with it much because it was too frustrating. Might try again in a few days.

How well is this going to work with yard elements such as arches, mini trees mega-trees etc. Looks like the lights you are able to use on this are pre-defined. In order to program your mega tree properly you would need an overhead view. How would this be handled. Can you like rotate the pic so you can see it from the top then draw your tree out then rotate it back to normal view?

Well I downloaded the holidaysoft Lights Designer and played with it yesterday. I have to say that I am not impressed with it either.

It is frustrating to navigate around in and quite frankly the LOR II animator works easier now that you can bring in a picture of your house to work on.

Perhaps when they bring out the new Version 4 that it supposed to be able to work directly with LOR, then it will have some of the features like arches and mega trees in it that will make it better.

But I didn't spend a lot of time with it and probably it has things that work very well for static displays.

Time will tell.

• 5 weeks later...

MJC7000 wrote:

Ouch. That hurts. So are we wasting our time adding LOR functionality to HLD?

Sorry. I didn't mean that to sound like HLD doesn't have it use or anything. I just did not spend enough time tinkering with it to find out since LOR2 has the ability to use a photo for the animator, it is just easier for me to learn LOR right now rather than trying to learn 2 programs.

I'm sure that HLD ver. 4 (from what I have read) will have significant improvements in it that will make it not only easier to use, but with its integration to LOR should be a fine product.

I'm just starting out with animation, so I have my hands full just figuring out LOR :cool:.

And I, like everybody else, am waiting for HLD's new version to release so that I can see what it has to offer. Any program has its uses and HLD is pretty clever although I also didn't like having to drop a bulb and then try to get a straight line of them. Should have a "point to point" snap feature to allow that for sure.

And in fairness, if it already does (I didn't find it in ver. 3) then my apology. As I said, I did not spend much time trying out the program. When I have some free time, I will probably go back and look at it and learn more about it.

Bill

MJC7000 wrote:

Ouch. That hurts. So are we wasting our time adding LOR functionality to HLD?

If you're representing HLD, it's probably a bit pre-mature to ask if it's a waste of time.

I think users would probably like to see ver 4 of HLD before making judgements like that.

Personally, I found the interface for HLD 3 to be pretty frustrating and not very intuitive, and the app itself seems to be a memory hog... I can't imagine running it in tandem with LOR.

I'd like to see what improvements have been made to HLD 4.

I agree HLD is not for everyone. It's nice to get feedback however. Version 4 will be better than version 3, but not as good as version 5 or 6.

It's the same as George Lucas says about making movies: "A movie is never finished, only abandoned".

MJC7000 wrote:

I agree HLD is not for everyone. It's nice to get feedback however. Version 4 will be better than version 3, but not as good as version 5 or 6.

It's the same as George Lucas says about making movies: "A movie is never finished, only abandoned".

Are there any known dates for version 4 or LOR compatibility? There are many people here who would like to check it out and see if it is worth the spend. I hope there will be demo that will show the LOR capability. It might be a hard sell otherwise since the LOR visualizer has seen some good improvements.

If you are part of HLD, you should consider signing up for a name that represents your company, unless you don't want to officially represent HLD. There will certainly be LOR users who buy HLD looking for support in this forum. Perhaps you should check with LOR/Dan first, but HLD vendor support here could be a great value add not to mention great PR for your company.

OK, I just re-visited the HolidaySoft web site and they now have their own forum where they've posted a few preview vids of HLD 4.0. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the direction they're going.

4.0 seems to be an vast improvement over 3.0 and it completely blows the LOR II Animator out of the water. They fixed my #1 complaint, which was drawing strands with an invisible line (the line is now visible). Plus a host of other new features. Not only will it interact with LOR II (either connected between two PC's over a network, or on the same PC) but if I understand correctly they're adding functionality to support Mega and Mini Trees and Spotlights.

If it's really as easy as the videos represent, I think they have a winner.

RickMosher wrote:

OK, I just re-visited the HolidaySoft web site and they now have their own forum where they've posted a few preview vids of HLD 4.0. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the direction they're going.

4.0 seems to be an vast improvement over 3.0 and it completely blows the LOR II Animator out of the water. They fixed my #1 complaint, which was drawing strands with an invisible line (the line is now visible). Plus a host of other new features. Not only will it interact with LOR II (either connected between two PC's over a network, or on the same PC) but if I understand correctly they're adding functionality to support Mega and Mini Trees and Spotlights.

If it's really as easy as the videos represent, I think they have a winner.

Wow! That is sounding really cool. I might have to start changing my ways. I use S2 and drew the entire 2008 design in the old animator format without a picture. :shock:

• 5 months later...

I tried the Version 4 trial download. Sure had a lot of neat features, but there were some glitches which made it a challange to use. The worst was attempting to make a 'mega-tree' (small, with 2 colors). The light strings would not always place, and when you rotated the image to add more strings, the tree was centered on the imported picture, which blocked the guide lines from each side.

• 1 month later...

I too can not seem to be able to draw strings around windows and get them square, is there a trick to it?

RickMosher wrote:

I downloaded the demo of Holiday Lights Designer and found it pretty frustrating.

I would expect that drawing strings of lights would be like drawing lines in PowerPoint (or any other drawing or photo software). When you click to start a string, the line should follow the mouse pointer until you release the mouse button. Instead, you click, it drops a light and you have to guess where a straight line is from that point and click again for the string to be drawn.

I tried drawing strings of lights around the windows of my house and could never get a square shape, it was always skewed.

You have to use the buttons on the screen to move the view or zoom which is lame too.

Didn't play with it much because it was too frustrating. Might try again in a few days.

• 2 months later...

Here is the quick and dirty...

Click the view animation button (to the right of the ramp). On the left side of the animation window, labeled drawing, click the draw button. From the drop down, select the channel. Now click away. If you make a mistake, click erase.

You can import a picture of your house using the background image section. I think 800 x 600 but do a search. The info is out there.

The animation is part of the configuration (channels, labels, etc.) Export the configuration that import the configuration for your new sequences.

Its a bit more complicated than that and it takes some time but that is the quick and dirty.