Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel issue in Harware utility

zing

So, i'm pretty new at this and have been snooping around these forums for help. Anyways, I haven't come across anything like this so i'm hoping for some help, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

In "LOR Hardware" (version 3.6.0 Basic), I turn on the first 6 channels and plug in lights into those channels and test (test mode is set to test light)(why 6 channels, mostly because I didn't feel like lugging in additional sets). When I test the light mode, either steady / shimmer / twinkle, channel 5 will turn on but when I hit the "off" button, channel 5 doesn't always turn off. Originally I thought, it was something to do with the LED's. I happen to have some of the incadescent's kicking around and plugged those into the LED set to see if that would fix it (originally thought I might need a snub connector)...no it didnt'. I then plugged in the incadescent string only into channel 5, and moved the original LED string to another channel. Sure enough when I hit the "off" button, channel five wouldnt turn off. I didn't put anything into channel 5, tested the system hit off and everything was off. I then plugged in a set of lights back into channel 5, and the lights turned right on. I also noticed another channel was kind of acting up as well, but its more intermittent than that of channel 5.

So question is, am I doing something wrong or?

Also side note, if I hit the console button and hit twinkle/shimmer/effect off. That appears to consistently turn everything off including channel 5

A board reset should fix the problem. Consult the manual according to the type of controller you have for the reset procedure.

Just tried that and set-up the advanced configuration this time and changed everything to dimCurve01 (which is the LED default), and left the default on channel 5 which just happens to be the only incadesent string. I uploaded all of the settings as the manual says. Tested it...hit the Off button, and channel 5 is still on :( I have to hit the off button in the test mode several times to actually get it to turn off.

File a support ticket. A triac is blown.

Thanks, I have done this and after a few emails back and forth, the repair team is going to look into it.

I'll update this thread with the outcome in case anyone else ever runs into this problem, they'll know what to do

Definitely sounds like a blown triac. I have the same issue on Controller #3 Channel 5. I will repair it after the 2012 Holiday Season, so I just avoid using that channel currently unless I have something I want to be on all the time, then I can sequence it with a full on command and just leave it.

Mine however is only on at 50% intensity, looks like 100% with LED, only 50% with an incan C7. Mine is an older unit built in late 2009 or early 2010 Version 2 board.

But if I hit the off button several times with an incan on it, it will sometimes, but not always turn off like yours.

So I'll bet it's a blown triac that is the issue. After the Christmas Season I'll dismount my controller #3 and replace the bad triac on channel 5.

Definitely sounds like a blown triac. I have the same issue on Controller #3 Channel 5. I will repair it after the 2012 Holiday Season, so I just avoid using that channel currently unless I have something I want to be on all the time, then I can sequence it with a full on command and just leave it.

Mine however is only on at 50% intensity, looks like 100% with LED, only 50% with an incan C7. Mine is an older unit built in late 2009 or early 2010 Version 2 board.

But if I hit the off button several times with an incan on it, it will sometimes, but not always turn off like yours.

So I'll bet it's a blown triac that is the issue. After the Christmas Season I'll dismount my controller #3 and replace the bad triac on channel 5.

The repair team think's it's "alright" and for me to return it after the holiday season. I need that channel as I only have 16 as it is (being new didn't wanna go over board with the whole thing). My knowledge in electronics is wicked minimal. I now can't get channel 5, to turn on when I hit "Steady On" in the Hardware Utility thing (the section below the chase option). I guess i'm going to try the next step and get a song to play and see what the heck it does. Hopefully, i'm overreacting but my gut says i'm not. The issue isn't just limited to channel 5, but rather 6 and 7 where 6 and 7 don't happen nearly as much as 5.

I'm not super happy about this whole thing. I'm a newbie and this has been nothing but headaches. :angry:

The repair team think's it's "alright" and for me to return it after the holiday season. I need that channel as I only have 16 as it is (being new didn't wanna go over board with the whole thing). My knowledge in electronics is wicked minimal. I now can't get channel 5, to turn on when I hit "Steady On" in the Hardware Utility thing (the section below the chase option). I guess i'm going to try the next step and get a song to play and see what the heck it does. Hopefully, i'm overreacting but my gut says i'm not. The issue isn't just limited to channel 5, but rather 6 and 7 where 6 and 7 don't happen nearly as much as 5.

I'm not super happy about this whole thing. I'm a newbie and this has been nothing but headaches. :angry:

Wow, I'd be a little miffed myself if I only had one controller and just acquired it and it had issues like that. So I fully understand your frustration.

Hopefully LOR may send you another controller and you will just send the one you have back once you get the replacement. I know LOR has done this before. I wish you the best of luck with all this.

This is why I'm going to start doing my sequences for 4 controllers/64 channels and keep the 5th for a replacement in case I have issues with any of mine, Especially since I did have an issue with #4 this year, but since repaired {repaired it myself}. So I'm not going to use all 5 controllers and 80 channels until I can buy a 6th controller for a back up now.

I'd say if you could afford a 2nd controller to keep as a backup in case of issues in the future would be a good move, But I know it's very difficult NOT to sequence those extra channels that you'd have in doing so.

Good Luck and hope you get the issue resolved quickly and soon.

Edited by Orville

Well i finally got around to running a show and no issues with any of the channels. I'm wondering if the testing that I was doin was just too much / too quick for the controller to react? Not sure but the show did seem to work fine including channel 5. I'll see what else the techs say in regards to my issue. Super pumped to actually see the lights do its thing. ill be looking into expanding next year it's tough to do a show with just one controller.

Thanks for the support and good luck with your controlle, hopefully you wont have any other issues.

This happens to me as well. I think it's the hardware utility software, not the controller. I have had zero issues with any lights acting abnormally using a show or the sequence editor. If I use the hardware utility to control the lights I can get one or two to stay on about every 5 times I use it.

To me the HU (Hardware Utility) isn't much use for nothing.

I've added and changed controllers for the past 7 years and can't remember the last time I went to the HU.

The HU is more of a false "go-to" thing than a purpose IMHO.

Stay off that thing and just plug and play.

My thoughts and experience...

Also want to add. If it was a triac problem. Most generally, the problem will be the same and not intermittent. Either they work, or they don't.

Edited by Santas Helper

Also want to add. If it was a triac problem. Most generally, the problem will be the same and not intermittent. Either they work, or they don't.

That is incorrect. When an electronic part STARTS to fail, it can be intermittent until it finally fails in either an off only or on only state in the case of a triac, since this is basically used as an electronic switch, it can be intermittent as it may slowly fail and not be an immediate failure.

This happens to me as well. I think it's the hardware utility software, not the controller. I have had zero issues with any lights acting abnormally using a show or the sequence editor. If I use the hardware utility to control the lights I can get one or two to stay on about every 5 times I use it.

I have been using the Hardware Utility for 3+ years and I have never had these issues. When a triac STARTED failing in my Controller #3, that was the only time I had issues with the HWU, and it was not the HWU, it was the Triac on Channel 5 in the controller going bad, it finally went and now is stuck on at 50% intensity, but for a while it did work properly until it finally broke down to where the current leaks at the 50%.

The HWU is an excellent utility and it does work very well for testing lights, again, been using it for 3+ years to make sure my controllers ARE working properly. There must be something else you were doing for the HWU to give you such results or the triac may be erratic and slowly breaking down until it fails completely. I also use the HWU to program my shows for the DC-MP3 Showtime Director and been doing that for 3+ years with no issues there either.

Edited by Orville

well, LOR sent me a new cat5 cable and usb adapter for me to test out as it was beleived to be a communications issue. Well, I hooked it up and it all works now, can't recreate the issue.

Glad to hear it was a SIMPLE fix and not a triac, which would have been a bit more complex to replace.

Glad LOR was able to help you get it all sorted out. Best customer support in the entire Universe as far as I am concerned!

• 2 weeks later...

wow a cat 5 cable. even when my controller does not have a cat 5 cable in it still is stuck on channel 6 reset the board still stuck. considering reloading firmware to correct?