Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you convince wife that you need more controllers?

Guest guest

Yesterday, I was discussing the possibility of hooking channels to relays, and using the relays to burn Estes model rocket igniters. If you used the igniters in the place of fuses in 4th of July morters, you could launch fireworks to music. It would take a lot of practice, and a lot of morters to get the timing right.

Me buying more controllers is the least of her worries...

(Set the bar very high to make it look like you are settling for much less)

derrickb wrote:

Yesterday, I was discussing the possibility of hooking channels to relays, and using the relays to burn Estes model rocket igniters. If you used the igniters in the place of fuses in 4th of July morters, you could launch fireworks to music. It would take a lot of practice, and a lot of morters to get the timing right.

AWSOME …

Small world , Just tell her it makes you happy, almost as happy as she makes you.:)

Works for me. I hope she buys it. Just make sure the bills are paid first. :)

Mike

derrickb wrote:

Derrick,

A couple of years ago we attempted fireworks synchronized to music using Estes ignitors and a manually controlled (homemade) switch panel. We had to throw the switch at the right time, so it wasn't computer controlled. We had mixed results, but we learned some things.

Trying to "stuff" the ignitor in place of the fuse is tricky, you have to make sure the end with the pyrogen (black stuff on the end) is in good contact with the gun powder. You also have to make sure you have good clips on the leads, our main problem was a bad clip system that did'nt make real good contact with the leads. About 30% of the fireworks failed to ignite. Also, the time between throwing the switch to the time it actually ignites has a fair amount of variance in it, but generally you have to apply power about 0.5 to 1 second before you actually want it to ignite. Using a good 12V source (as opposed to the small Estes 6V launchers) makes for quicker and more reliable ignition.

I've been experimenting with small pieces of Nichrome wire in place of the Estes igniter with pretty good results. It's alot cheaper than the 60 cents or so you pay for each Estes igniter.