Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter vs Outdoor Speakers

JF1993

I actually was able to pick up a couple of solar rock spot lights for less than $10, removed the solar guts and lights, drilled out the plexiglass face plate for speaker holes, glued some saran wrap behing the plexiglass and in front of the speakers. Mounted the speakers where the solar LEDs and reflector assembly was originally. Ran speaker wire through a small hole in the back of the rock, reassembled, ran the wiring to my stereo and a nice set of rock speakers hidden among the display.

Hmmm... I think I've seen these rocks at Dollar General or Family Dollar before. I'll have to do some searching around and see what I can find. Thanks for the idea though. If I can find these or find some inexpensive outdoor speakers somewhere I'll be all set for the holidays. Thanks again for the idea. :)

Like others, I run both. I live where there are a lot of walkers who come to see what I've done. I have two speakers mounted 8' up in some trees for them. The FM transmitter for the families who bring all the kids in the minivans and SUVs. I live in cold country and the closer it get to 12/25... It can be in the teens/twenties during the evenings. My show starts at 6 and shuts down at 8. I do check with my neighbors often to make sure all stays 'nice'.

I got an fm transmitter and two yard speakers from home depot. I figure if my neighbors dont like it....too bad. Its Christmas. we have alot of people that walk so I want to entertain them too. Most of my neighbors are cool and they usually get an invite to the Christmas party soo....had the Mr. Christmas before and it ran continuosly for like 3 hours. This year with the LOR it will only run a few times an hour.

I have read many posts about the whole house transmitter, some good some bad, I've read articles about illegal transmitters and my head is spinning. I have a small lot and I am running all of my LOR stuff and computer in my garage, so I really do not have to transmit very far. Is there anyone that can help. I do not want to get arrested for broadcasting Christmas music, but I also do not want the music sound awful and take away from the show. This is my second year, last year I only had a speaker by the front door and it was difficult to hear inside a car. Thanks in advance,

... I do not want to get arrested for broadcasting Christmas music...

If you are broadcasting on an unused channel and not stomping on other used frequencies, you shouldn't have anyone to even complain. The legal distance is something like 400 feet. I usually go up to nearly a mile. The reason is these cheap transmitters which claim to reach 100-200 feet. Take that with a grain of salt. In reality that will be 25-75 feet of clear audio, 75-100 feet of static audio, and beyond that it's just broken or hit and miss. So I turn up the power to insure cars lined up down the street can get a clear signal. If the FCC ever comes calling it's likely to just be a warning.

There was a guy here a couple years ago too near an airport - that can be serious, but he was just told to turn down the power.

TWO Miles !

400 Feet !

Come on guys, get real. Neither of those is correct.

If you are going to be using these transmitters, it is your duty and responsibility to read and understand 47 CFR Section 15.239 in particular. (Google it)

When the FCC knocks on your door, saying I read on a message board that someone said transmitting two miles was OK will not be much of a defense.

• Like 1

The maximum transmitting distance on an UNLICENSED FM "Hobby" Transmitter is 200 feet period! And that IS in the FCC Part 15 Rules and Regulations {have you read them?}

And I know many of us ARE well over that limit too.

The maximum transmitting distance on an UNLICENSED FM "Hobby" Transmitter is 200 feet period! And that IS in the FCC Part 15 Rules and Regulations {have you read them?}

And I know many of us ARE well over that limit too.

Wrong! Have you read them? No where in 47 CFR Part 15 sec 239 does it say "the maximum transmitting distance on an UNLICENSED FM "Hobby" Transmitter is 200 feet" No statement like that is in the regulations .

____________________________________________________________________________________

47 CFR 15.239 - Operation in the band 88-108 MHz

§ 15.239

Operation in the band 88-108 MHz.

(a) Emissions from the intentional radiator shall be confined within a band 200 kHz wide centered on the operating frequency. The 200 kHz band shall lie wholly within the frequency range of 88-108 MHz.

(b The field strength of any emissions within the permitted 200 kHz band shall not exceed 250 microvolts/ meter at 3 meters. The emission limit in this paragraph is based on measurement instrumentation employing an average detector.

(c The field strength of any emissions radiated on any frequency outside of the specified 200 kHz band shall not exceed the general radiated emission limits in § 15.209

___________________________________________________________________________________________

It is generally accepted that if you do not exceed 200 feet, nor cause any interference to any other licensed station that you will be OK. But that is not specified in the FCC regulations.

• Like 1

I kind of do both. For the unveiling I break out my 200W Beringer powered PA speakers - these are really great. Then the Ramsey for the rest of the season.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB210D

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM30B

A couple folks here need to relax. As stated by several of us, if you are not interfering with anyone's signal - TV/Radio/Phone, etc... there shouldn't be any issue. Those are the issues that the FCC is most concerned with. If 100-200 feet works for you then great. I wish that worked for my neighborhood, but it doesn't. With that type of restriction only 1 or 2 cars sitting directly in front of my house (blocking all other viewers) could hear the show. The way I do it they can line up all of the way down the street watch and listen. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and have to hide my antenna in the attic of an all brick house.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

A couple folks here need to relax. As stated by several of us, if you are not interfering with anyone's signal - TV/Radio/Phone, etc... there shouldn't be any issue. Those are the issues that the FCC is most concerned with. If 100-200 feet works for you then great. I wish that worked for my neighborhood, but it doesn't. With that type of restriction only 1 or 2 cars sitting directly in front of my house (blocking all other viewers) could hear the show. The way I do it they can line up all of the way down the street watch and listen. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and have to hide my antenna in the attic of an all brick house.

JohnB was the only one who really gave accurate information.

It is true that if one uses some common sense and doesn't go down the path of trying to blanket the neighborhood with signal, the risk is low, but from a standpoint of gross misinformation and inaccuracies, this thread contained a lot of it.

Whether or not you decide to follow the regs, its still a good idea to know (and understand) what they actually say.

Edited by GaryM

My posts were in regard to posts that claimed 400 feet was legal (post 29), or two miles was legal (post 28) , or that the FCC regs stated 200 feet.(post 31)

All three statements were incorrect.

I posted 47 CFR Sec 239 for the benefit of those that have never read them or what was actually legal.

Many things are done, without complaints being filed, and that is great for those circumstances or locations.

But some should be careful saying something is legal, when it is not true. Just want to see accuracy

The frequency 87.9 is part of the TV channel 6 frequency allocation. Some US FM radios may not be able to tune that low. In the US the FM frequency band is generally considered to be 88.1 to 107.9

The frequency 87.9 is part of the TV channel 6 frequency allocation. Some US FM radios may not be able to tune that low. In the US the FM frequency band is generally considered to be 88.1 to 107.9

I think, not sure, with the advent of digital OTA TV, you can't even hear the channel 6 audio at 87.7 anymore.

The good old days are long gone... :)

I use 87.9 fm does that mean you can broadcast without any problems?

Again, it falls into the category of "you can certainly do it..just (in this case) isn't legal from an FCC standpoint.."

As much of an issue is the fact that some may miss out on your audio depending on their particular FM radio.

I think, not sure, with the advent of digital OTA TV, you can't even hear the channel 6 audio at 87.7 anymore.

The good old days are long gone... :)

No you can't pick up channel 6 on 87.7 any longer. My brand new radio I just had installed in my vehicle will go all the way down and starts at 87.5 FM and it's just static or staticy bleedover on 87.5, 87.7 and 87.9. And my vehicle radio I had installed was manufactured in 2012.. My other radio that it replaced could also started at 87.5 and it was a replacement radio that was in the vehicle when I purchased it used in 2009.

So I can't say if all new radios will start at 87.5 any longer, but the one I just bought a few months ago, again manufactured in 2012, still can.

Edited by Orville