Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B to Controller not work

MikeHeather

the flashing LED on the controller will not go steady until the Hardware Utility finds the controller ID doing a refresh of the devices.

As soon as the Hardware Utility (or Sequence Editor) is started and successfully opens the Comm Port, it will start sending a heartbeat signal on the LOR network. This will make the LED on the controller go steady. If the LED is not steady, there is no use doing a refresh, because the signal is not getting to the controller.

You should always have a spare USB485. It is vulnerable to things like a controller being flooded and putting 120v on the LOR network cable.

I've gone ahead and opened a support ticket with LOR to see if I can get it swapped out since it is just a few months old and barely used.

Thanks for all the input.

It does sound like a bad USB485B as there are multiple controllers and cables not working but only one of the USB485Bs. Because it is less than a year old it is covered by full warranty. The USB485 connector is a single point of failure. There are 10s of thousands of them being used and every year we get 20-30 failures for various reasons. Good thing they are light because when they do fail during the season, people need to have them overnighted to get the show back up.

Dan

I think this is the one thing to def have a spare of.. Like Dan said.. without a working -485, doesnt matter how many spare controllers or cables you have.. nothing will work.

LOR is shipping a new one out to me. I'll post when I get it and if things return to working condition.

Cheers,

Mike

I'm with TJ on this one. Have a spare RS-485 adapter. I have 2 of them and will order another one or two next time I place an order. Just because of how things work out, I expect to use 2 networks and I may use a 3rd for DMX (provided I don't just go straight to E 1.31 for the DMX).

Even going up the $2 from last year (was $27.95) it's well worth having a couple of them. One controller or twenty-one controllers, without a working -485, they're just expensive extension plug prong protectors.. . (say that 10 times fast!) :P