Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B to Controller not work

MikeHeather

Hello:

I'm having troubles with my USB485B to controller connection.

• All I get is blinking red light on the controller, don't get solid.
  • The PC recognizes the USB485B.
  • I see it listed under the ports in the control panel.
  • Originally it was listed as com 13, I went ahead and changed it to com 2 in case it was an over 10 problem.
  • I've reinstalled the driver.
  • Rebooted
  • I'm using the Hardware Utility and the Setup Comm Port is set properly (had to manually select).
  • Tried clicking refreash to select unit to configure and 0 units are found (Max unit is 10)
  • Tried several different controllers
  • It seems like the CAT connection just doesn't work (tried 3 different CAT cables).
  • I'm using Windows Vista
  • Haven't tried another computer yet, does it take a license to run the HW utility?

• I did have it all working several months ago.

Regards,

Mike

Damn Mike I hate to tell you but I'm having a hard time reading the fine print. You need to change the font size please and maybe some old timer will be able to help you.

Thomas

I agree, no need for the fine print. A good number of us guys are needing glasses as it is.

I see that originally it loaded the USB485 adapter as Comm 13. And you changed it to Comm 2. I would think that Comm 2 would be already assigned to something in your computer. Did you confirm that Comm 2 was open and available? Might try something like Comm 4 or 5. Those are 9 times out of 10 open and not assigned.

Sorry about the font. Here it is a bit bigger. Reason I picked 2 out of 1-10 was it was the only one available. All the other ones are supposedly in use.

==========

Hello:

I'm having troubles with my USB485B to controller connection.

• All I get is blinking red light on the controller, don't get solid.
  • The PC recognizes the USB485B.
  • I see it listed under the ports in the control panel.
  • Originally it was listed as com 13, I went ahead and changed it to com 2 in case it was an over 10 problem.
  • I've reinstalled the driver.
  • Rebooted
  • I'm using the Hardware Utility and the Setup Comm Port is set properly (had to manually select).
  • Tried clicking refreash to select unit to configure and 0 units are found (Max unit is 10)
  • Tried several different controllers
  • It seems like the CAT connection just doesn't work (tried 3 different CAT cables).
  • I'm using Windows Vista
  • Haven't tried another computer yet, does it take a license to run the HW utility?

• I did have it all working several months ago.

Regards,

Mike

Have you waited a few seconds to see if the red light stops flashing, I've had other things running and it took 3 to 5 seconds or more for the led to stop flashing.

How are the pins (cat5 connection) on your USB485B. Are they all there and straight and your try both connection.

I've waited extensive amount of time, actually overnight accidentally. All pins on both ports in the USB485B look good and I've tried both. Is there a loop around test that can be done on the USB485B?

First, if you have the 485B plugged in and you start the Hardware Utility do you get any error messages? If so you got to fix that problem first.

Second, the flashing LED on the controller will not go steady until the Hardware Utility finds the controller ID doing a refresh of the devices.

What ID do you thing the controller is set too?

What is your Max ID refresh setting? Maybe you have it set too low and the controller ID is not in the range.

I would go and set the MAX ID to 255 and do another refresh again, this will take some time to do this scan, after that reset the max ID to something just over your max ID;s or reset the controller ID to some lower number without conflicting any other controller ID's.

Dennis:

No errors when starting up Hardware Utility. Port shows up in the control panel without any problems. I have 5 controllers (ids 1-5). I'm only hooking up one controller. Max id is currently set to 10 (16).

I went ahead and did your suggestion in setting the Max id to F0 and doing a refresh, no units are found.

Note I had this working very well couple of months ago when I built the controllers, programmed the ids, and tested them via the HW utility. The led would turn solid red immediately.

Regards,

Mike

Dennis:

No errors when starting up Hardware Utility. Port shows up in the control panel without any problems. I have 5 controllers (ids 1-5). I'm only hooking up one controller. Max id is currently set to 10 (16).

I went ahead and did your suggestion in setting the Max id to F0 and doing a refresh, no units are found.

Note I had this working very well couple of months ago when I built the controllers, programmed the ids, and tested them via the HW utility. The led would turn solid red immediately.

Regards,

Mike

Good, did you try another controller to see if you get the ID?

Need to find a common point of everything working.

Good, did you try another controller to see if you get the ID?

Need to find a common point of everything working.

Tried 3 controllers doing the refreash each time with max id of F0.

It appears that I physical connectivity to the USB 485B based on the computer being able to assign a com port to it, but the connectivity between the USB485B to the controller isn't there? Is there a way to validate the USB485B output?

Thoughts?

OK re-read some of your posts again.

1. Is this the same computer that worked fine with LOR eariler this year?

2. Not an expert on Vista, but someone else might chime in here on the 'RIGHTS' issue.

3. Can you remove the other Comm port devices so you can try other comm port numbers?

OK re-read some of your posts again.

1. Is this the same computer that worked fine with LOR eariler this year?

2. Not an expert on Vista, but someone else might chime in here on the 'RIGHTS' issue.

3. Can you remove the other Comm port devices so you can try other comm port numbers?

Same computer as before. I'll try and monkey around with some of the other comm ports, but 13 was the one that worked couple of months ago without problem. It doesn't work now and comm 2 doesn't work which was available. I'll try getting another computer going and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Mike

Just a spitball idea here. Do you have a lic level that allows more than 4 controllers (address above Unit 4)?

Additionally, I have a sim problem with the -485 not connecting (getting a comm port, to start with), swapped with another -485 (have a spare), and the comm port went away.. it is possible for the -485 to get a comm port and still not connect to the controller, so in addition to just having a spare -485, is there a LOR user in your town that you can test another one with?

Just a spitball idea here. Do you have a lic level that allows more than 4 controllers (address above Unit 4)?

Additionally, I have a sim problem with the -485 not connecting (getting a comm port, to start with), swapped with another -485 (have a spare), and the comm port went away.. it is possible for the -485 to get a comm port and still not connect to the controller, so in addition to just having a spare -485, is there a LOR user in your town that you can test another one with?

TJ, I have the "Advanced with Super Start Demo" license, that should give me above 4 controllers.

ok, then its not a lic level thing.. you swapped several cat5 cables.. tried each of the other controllers you have? If so, and there is no detection of any, the -485 is the prime suspect. My bad -485, would make Win7 do the normal hardware beep when it was plugged in, get a comm port in the Device Manager, but still not get a port in the HU (had to set it manually but thats where any appearance of working would end. My first thing to try is swap with another -485.

ok, then its not a lic level thing.. you swapped several cat5 cables.. tried each of the other controllers you have? If so, and there is no detection of any, the -485 is the prime suspect. My bad -485, would make Win7 do the normal hardware beep when it was plugged in, get a comm port in the Device Manager, but still not get a port in the HU (had to set it manually but thats where any appearance of working would end. My first thing to try is swap with another -485.

Thanks TJ, I've been coming to that conclusion. Now I just need to get my paws on one. So if I did get another one and it worked, does that mean my current 485 is bad and needs to be returned?

I helped a fellow member with this same problem last year,it turned out the the adapter was bad,I took mine I am just using a 485 not boosted and all worked fine. after you try a new cat 5 cable if the don't work then it's probably the booster

If it's bad, you can try and see if LOR will do the 40% warranty, thats what I'm doing for the bad one I have.. I am considering getting the repeater/splitter version for my primary and using the standard USB485 for the backup again.. but yeah, see if you can get a replacement.

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

I've gone ahead and opened a support ticket with LOR to see if I can get it swapped out since it is just a few months old and barely used.

Thanks for all the input.