Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing part of a sequence from 9 to 16 channels?

kzaas

Is there a way to stretch a part of a sequence that is 9 channels and stretch it over 16 channels? or from 5 to 8? That's the bad thing about adding new items every year. I sure hope that someone has the answer I am looking for, I don't want to have to resequence entire songs just to add things like more mini trees.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

One thing to do is only ADD channels below your existing sequence. The new empty chennels then can be moved as needed into, between or above other channels - and then coded as needed.

Is there a way to stretch a part of a sequence that is 9 channels and stretch it over 16 channels? or from 5 to 8? That's the bad thing about adding new items every year. I sure hope that someone has the answer I am looking for, I don't want to have to resequence entire songs just to add things like more mini trees.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Not sure why you think you have to resquence entire songs. You can just add channels above your whole sequence, below or in between channels. It's pretty easy to just add that new element into the current sequence.

Then export that channel config (lcc) and import it to the other sequences. Then all sequences will be on the same page with the new element you added.

I guess I worded my original post incorrectly, I should not have said "resequence an entire song". What I meant to say resequence parts of a song to include my new channels. I do know how to add channels and move them around as needed, what I was hoping for was a way to copy and paste from 15 channels and stretch it to 24 channels. For instance for quite a few years I have had five mini trees and this year I want eight mini trees each one having three channels. Well instead of having to resequence the mini tree portion of a song I was hoping to be able to copy the existing channels(15 channels) and stretch it to the new channels(24 channels) kind of like you do for "Painting a sequence" effect but that stretches and reduces time not channels.

Now that I have completely confused everyone, I hope someone has an answer.

Are you talking about selecting a row and copy and paste.

Yes but I am talking about selecting for instance 15 rows and pasteing to 24 rows. Stretch the 15 channels to 24

Nope, no stretch option.

Add, copy paste, delete.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll just go through my sequences one by one and make the changes.

Thanks anyway,

Ken

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll just go through my sequences one by one and make the changes.

Thanks anyway,

Ken

Ken,

Honestly, it's not that bad. Once you do one or two, it gets easier to work it in other songs.

Just remember to export the updated channel config after the first reworked sequence then import it to the other channels.

Not sure why you think you have to resquence entire songs. You can just add channels above your whole sequence, below or in between channels. It's pretty easy to just add that new element into the current sequence.

Then export that channel config (lcc) and import it to the other sequences. Then all sequences will be on the same page with the new element you added.

Careful where you add the channels... if you add them in between or above your existing channels, when you export, and then import the channels to another sequence, your programming will be off. The software won't know that the new channels are "new" and the sequencing from the existing channel will be in the new channel. it's as if the existing sequence info is just overlayed onto the new channel list. At the end of the channel list, you will have blank channels, however many you've added, whether THOSE were the ones you added or not. As someone else suggested, add and keep any new channels at the bottom of your channel list, and then there will be no issues.

D.T.

Edited by DownTown
  • Like 1

Careful where you add the channels... if you add them in between or above your existing channels, when you export, and then import the channels to another sequence, your programming will be off. The software won't know that the new channels are "new" and the sequencing from the existing channel will be in the new channel. it's as if the existing sequence info is just overlayed onto the new channel list. At the end of the channel list, you will have blank channels, however many you've added, whether THOSE were the ones you added or not. As someone else suggested, add and keep any new channels at the bottom of your channel list, and then there will be no issues.

D.T.

Oops, thanks DT. My bad. I usually add to the top and readjust my sequences going down as I update each sequence with a new channel config. But you are correct. It could make a mess if on top or in between existing channels if you don't know what your doing or what to look for.

My second year I did not know that adding channels somewhere other than at the bottom would make a mess of things when you export and then import into an old seq. Figured that out real fast. Also to add, I use tracks. And any new element is put into a new track at the bottom of all other the old tracks. For me, tracks are the best way to go. Examples are that I have a track for the roof, that includes the 4 colors of outlining, the 4 colors of icicles, and the 8 LED snow flakes. I have a track for 8 lolly pops, 14 mini trees, Arches, and many more. Thus when I want to work on the mega tree, I just cursor down to the track named Mega Tree. Always add below and when importing into old songs, everything will fall in place.

It took me three years to figure out the same thing as Paul did in two...

I used to use tracks the same as Paul, but with the invention of groups, I've converted over almost all my sequences to the following format:

Track 1 is my Master track. Nothing in it EVER gets moved anywhere. (I even recommend locking the track to prevent inadvertant changes from occurring.) New channels are added ONLY to the bottom of the list. Makes updating the configuration from year to year (or even month-to-month) quick and totally error-free. Adding channels to the middle, as DT Dave alluded, is a BIG mistake and means you have to update each sequence manually. If we're talking about going from 16 to 32 channels maybe that's not so big a job. If we're talking about adding scores or hundreds of channels, it's a friggin' nightmare. They offer medals for people who can do that error-free, but I've never heard of anyone winning one.

Track 2 is used exactly the same way, but for CCD devices. Again, new ones always go to the bottom.

Track 3 is for Groups. Groups are copies of channels from the Master track that can be arranged in any order or association you want. (Be sure you copy channels from the Master track rather than duplicating the Master track.) I do all my sequencing in Track 3. Groups are so much easier to manage than tracks because you can drop and drag them any way you want to line up whatever display elements you want next to each other for sequencing. And unlike tracks, as long as you NEVER make changes to the channel order in the Master track, you can leave the groups in any order you want to and nothing will be negatively impacted in any way by copying in a different lcc file at some point in the future.

Edited by George Simmons

• 4 weeks later...

If you were to do a mini tree row that was originally 8 and were turning it into 16. This is what I do. I put the first mini tree as 1 first one and than the last mini tree as 8 which would now be 16 and than you can always chase it down. But it is still going to take time. But it keeps the timings this way.

D.T.

But you can not do it this way if you are adding to a specific prop.. arches, MegaTree, MiniTrees, etc.. you cant expand an 8ch megatree to 12 or 16 channels by putting the new channels at the bottom of the channel list and expect to seq it properly.

With a smaller (than most of us) channel count, not dozens of controllers or hundreds of channels or props:

If you add 4, 8 or 6 more channels to a MT, to get to finish a chase, the channels have to be right after the last channel of that prop, then complete the chase. It cant be done if those new channels are at the bottom, far away from the first 8 ch. Likewise, if you add 2 or 3 more segments or sleeves (channels) to an arch, you wont be able to get it to chase if those new segments arent connected (you know what I mean) immediately after the first part of the chase.

ksazz.. to continue a chase, after youve added the new channels to the end of that specific prop, you'd start at the beginning of that chase, drag down to the last new channel, in the same time period (dont go farther in time then the old channels), then release. the chase for those new channels has been included. Save, contiunue..

Now if you're adding a group of channels that are not prop/element dependent, then you can put them anywhere you want and seq them accordingly. In this case, at the bottom would be appropriate.

I agree if you're using a saved channel guide/template, adding the new at the end of each prop will throw off

anything imported with the new channels template, then a Master, or Tracks has to be done beforehand..

Tracks: everybody's friend!

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 1

But you can not do it this way if you are adding to a specific prop.. arches, MegaTree, MiniTrees, etc.. you cant expand an 8ch megatree to 12 or 16 channels by putting the new channels at the bottom of the channel list and expect to seq it properly.

If you add 4, 8 or 6 more channels to a MT, to get to finish a chase, the channels have to be right after the last channel of that prop, then complete the chase. It cant be done if those new channels are at the bottom, far away from the first 8 ch. Likewise, if you add 2 or 3 more segments or sleeves (channels) to an arch, you wont be able to get it to chase if those new segments arent connected (you know what I mean) immediately after the first part of the chase.

Now if you're adding a group of channels that are not prop/element dependent, then you can put them anywhere you want and seq them accordingly. In this case, at the bottom would be appropriate.

Thank you TJ. That's what I do when adding more channels to props. Put them with the other channels for that prop.

Couldn't you copy the existing sequencing for that element, then do a paste to fit, over the element with the new channels added?