Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm Having Some E1.31 Issues... Anyone Want To Help?

coasterbp

Tim, I posted a pic of my 681 config screen in the first post. I'll try the multicast again and if it doesn't work, I'll post a screenshot of that page as well.

When you say "try multicast again" do you mean you aren't using multicast now? You absolutely have to be, or the E681 won't work. The IP address is just for using the configuration web utility.

If you could post the two screenshots we could try to compare inonsistencies, or anything that different from our configs.

Dont do that, set those outputs to multicast.

The E681 does not do unicast E1.31. You have to use the standard multicast addresses for the universes, or the E681 won't hear it. The configured unicast IP for the E681 is management traffic only.

dont do anything on the E681 side, just assing your universes and pixel types. on LOR side Multicast and let er rip!

When you specify multicast, it is going to the correct multicast address for that universe. It has zero to do with the IP address that you assign to the E681. The E681 sets these multicast addresses automatically when you configure which universes it is supposed to respond to.

The Etherdongle, E68x series, and most of the Joshua systems are ready as multicast, all you need to do it tell them what they are to do in terms of what universe, the network will do the rest.

When you say "try multicast again" do you mean you aren't using multicast now? You absolutely have to be, or the E681

You will be using Multicast to control the E681. So the default Multicast IPs will be assigned by the LOR Network Prefs applet. 239.255.0.1 is DMX Universe 1 as you set it in the LOR Channel configuration.

Jeff

Ditto what Tim and Jeff said. E681 will work in Multicast only.

Kinda trying to make a small point here.

Edited by GoofyGuy

Hysterical, Tim.

I've found the problem and while I've fixed the problem with the pixels, I've developed a new problem.

My problem was my wireless connection. Here's my computer setup. I have an LAN connection onboard my motherboard. I have a second LAN card on a PCI slot and I have a wireless internet USB dongle. I have successfully used both LAN connections to test the pixels. But the wireless connection (the usb dongle) is mucking up the works. As soon as I unplug it, the E1.31 control over my pixels works. So how do I get the best of both worlds?

-=CoasterBP

how is the E681 connected to the network? Through the on baord Lan into a router or switch, or wirelessly through a repeater or switch?

The E681 is connected directly from the LAN card. No router. My USB wireless internet dongle connects to my router inside the house.

So there isn't a way to tell the Network Preferences program WHICH connection to listen to, is there? I need that internet connection to be active while shows are running.

I have the same issue when using xLights.

To control the E681 when it is plugged directly into the computers ethernet port I have to disable my wireless card first.

I was hoping it was just an xLights thing....

I too, will be watching and waiting for a solution.

Edited by Tim Herberger

Can you (are you willing to) share the results for:

ipconfig

netstat -rnv

Both with things unplugged so that they work and with everything plugged in?

This image is from where the wireless internet is working, but the pixels are not:

post-4002-0-29995800-1342392408_thumb.jp

And when the pixels work because I umplug the USB wireless adapter.

post-4002-0-91591600-1342392749_thumb.jp

If you can't see details on this pic, let me know. I'll let you know specifics.

Thanks!

-=CoasterBP

Thats tricky right there. I think Wbottomly or Jeff is running 2 network cards, 1 for the actual network, 1 for LOR output so the 2 arent on the same for security reasons. We will have to wait till they check in.

With both connected, try:

route add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 192.168.2.5 metric 5

Basically, the way the wireless is configured, it is the preferred gateay for pretty much everything. This command should cause the other interface to become primary for all multicast traiffic. This could be narrowed down to just put specific multicast E1.31 networks out specific interfaces if needed.

Yes. From Vista or 7 it's going to take an 'Elevated' command prompt:

Start Button/In the 'Search for files or programs' box, type CMD BUT DON'T PRESS ENTER

In the list, at the top you'll see CMD (or 'Command Prompt'). Right click it.

Select 'Run as administrator'

As you are finding out:

E1.31 configurations can be complex, and may require a firm grasp of networking, network topologies, and addressing.

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

E1.31 configurations can be complex, and may require a firm grasp of networking, network topologies, and addressing.

You got that right. And... it may not be for everyone.

Tried that. Typed it all into my dos prompt and hit enter. Relaunced control panel and tried the test sequence. Got nothing.

My bad. On review, I had your two interface IP addresses reversed...

Try these two in sequence:

route add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 192.168.2.5 metric 30

route add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 metric 5

If your routes get lost on reboot, or adding/removing the interfaces (quite possible) you should only need the second one. The first one is ony there to push the wireless route preference back high after my bad command above.

Well, klb, you got it to work. Thank you so much! I appreciate the help and the time you and everyone else took. to help me out. Thanks!

-=CoasterBP