Light-O-Rama Forums

Noob can't get it to work

MikeyRo

OK, I have upgraded to the Advanced version of the LOR Software, I have a USB485, I have a Network cable that has Pins 4/5 and 1/2 crossed, I have an $8 DMX controller, I have a 12 volt power supply and I have 3 RGB LED Modules.

I changed the network settings to remove COMM 7 from the LOR table on the top, restarted the software, Added my A700eqcd adapter in the DMX settings, set as Universe 1 and Raw DMX protocol.

I have started the LOR Control Panel, but do not see the comm listener anywhere. EDIT.... Found it... Had to restart the control panel, now the listener is on and is says it accepted my adapter.

I went to tools, Chanel configeration and added a controller as a DMX Universe, Universe 1 and 16 channels.

I then set up channels 1-3 as the controller and RGB.

The lights are just cycling through their color sequence as though there is no controller hooked up.

I can use the XLights program and control the lights fine (not using the usb485 or crossover cable) so the lights and controller are hooked up.

The controller is set to beginning channel of 1 using the Holiday coro programmer for the dongle.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong ??

It sounds like you have the software configured properly which leaves the cable. So I'm thinking it's the cable? or pinout? Here's a discussion where I posted a pinout of the RJ45 to XLR adapter that I use to connect a DMX fixture to a US485. basically Pin 4 to Data + and Pin 5 to Data -

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/18198-dmx-rgb-etc/

oh, also make sure you have Control Lights checked.

The test lights I am using are controlled via RJ 45 Network cable, so no XLR connector. I made the cable myself and tested it to make sure. I have pin 1 crossed to pin 4 and pin 2 crossed to Pin 5. Then into a Female to female adapter and to the Dongle's RJ-45 male.

I am assuming the dongles cable is correct, since it works correctly with X-Lights.

I have a simple LED DMX light from my old KJ days. I will get an XLR connector and see if I can make that work...

Still feeling pretty frustrated.

Mike

hmm.. not sure. Haven't seen the $8 dmx controller with an RJ-45 so not sure what it's pin-out would be.

you don't have both the Holiday Coro programmer and USB485 hooked up to the PC at the same time do you? I'm guessing they both look like 485 adapters to the PC.

I did at one time end up with both plugged in, but it was when I was making sure the channel start was at 1. The programmer would not initalize. But no, both are not in at the same time when trying to control the lights. :D

have you tried to see if the LOR network configuration will recognize the holiday coro programmer as a DMX dongle? Probably be a different Hex ID.
I believe Dave Moore mentioned that it would work.. channels may be off by one though if I remember correctly.

Well, that works. I plugged in the Holiday Coro adapter, the, Set the Network Preferences to use it, and it works...

What does that mean?? Did I do something wrong with the crossover cable??

sounds like it is a cabling issue. is the Female to Female adapter taking all 8 pins through? same for any cables?
also re-verify the pin-out of the RJ45 on the DMX dongle and ensure 4 and 5 are going to the Data + and - pins.
dave

I am having the same problem, when using the holiday coro dongle to the holiday coro 3 channel dmx controller I can control the lights via Raw DMX from LOR.

But if I try to use my 485B to CAT5 with blue/white and blue crossed over to orange/white, and orange the comport listener does not see the DMX controller - so it does not control the lights from LOR.

I'm missing something, I have tested the continuity of the CAT5 with a Ethernet Tester, 4 goes to 1 and 5 goes to 2.

I have not tried running the lights through a LOR 16XX controller, would that make a difference?

Regards,

Mike

The listener doesn't care if there is a dmx controller on the line or not. Its just talking to the dongle (485b in your case) and will show connection established when it connects.

Can you post a screenshot of your LOR network settings (from sequence editor) and the listener window?

That will help us troubleshoot with you.

The DMX module/controller you using cycles through the colors when power is applied, but no DMX signal is detected. As soon as is receives the DMX signal, the cycling stops. So the module is not receiving the signal. Although I’ve have no problem getting the LOR adapter to work in DMX Raw, I’ve always had the +1 channel off problem.

It definitely sounds like you have everything set up correctly. Post the screenshot as flogger suggested.

Doubt this is the issue, but I did this before causing me to over look everything when it was just a simple reverse the cat5 cable. Make sure when using the cross-over cable...that the side using pins 4 & 5 are connected to the LOR adapter and the other side using pins 1 & 2 are connected to the DMX module. Reversing the cat5 cable would also cause your problem.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware for the LOR adapter. You can verify this by going to your Device Manager and open up the port of the adapter, then go to Drivers tab. I don’t have the latest version and still works so this may not help.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Kevin

Kevin,

Aha thanks, I had the CAT5 crossover cable backwards, not sure what I was thinking when I connected it.

I reconnected the cat5, ensured the com port was correct via device manager, loaded com port listener, started sequence editor, Identified the correct DMX adapter in network preferences, saved, closed sequence editor, restarted sequence editor and worked right away.

Thanks for the great help, now to test all my LOR components together with the dmx; servodog, LOR controllers, and DC board.

Thanks again,
Mike

"One is glad to be of service" :P

Remember if your going to use the LOR adapter for your DMX Universe, then add +1 channel to all sequences.

Meaning, if your DMX module is set to channel 1-3, your sequence for that module needs to be set at 2-4. All channels are off by 1 channel. I dont know why, but many have expernece this. So verify yourself first.

But if you use the Enttec Open or Pro, this does not apply. Its all 1 for 1.

Kevin

Alright, can someone from LOR (Partners obviously don't know the answer) regarding this +1 channel issue? It has been reported over and over and many people do not need to do it to work and you shouldn't.

Can someone from LOR please explain why this happens in some cases but not in others?

Ponddude wrote:

Alright, can someone from LOR (Partners obviously don't know the answer) regarding this +1 channel issue? It has been reported over and over and many people do not need to do it to work and you shouldn't.

Can someone from LOR please explain why this happens in some cases but not in others?

Greg,

Can I assume you are not experiencing this +1 channel off issue?

Kevin

Kevin, see here. Greg's had a different experience than many (most?)

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=33093&forum_id=75&jump_to=319044#p319044

I have tried 3 different LOR USB adapters. With 1 sometimes 2 fixtures on the DMX network, they usually address correctly. With 3 or more on the network, they all start requiring the +1 channel offset for me as well.

I also Do Not have the +1 issue.. I tend to run many DMX channels from the USB485B, but not many devices. (i.e. a full universe of pixels from one dmx controller).

Note that I am using the Booster version.

You are correct Kevin, I have not.

I will say that when the issue reported in beta testing I had the issue. It was reported by several and the update/release from LOR did away with the issue. Bob seemed to rectify it rather quickly. However, I will certainly say that it has been very well documented by many here like flogger said, but I just have no experienced the issues. I also have had many customers say they are having issues. I am currently running 4 universes via different LOR USB485 adapters with no issues what so ever. I would just like an answer from LOR regarding the issue but they seem to be rather mute on the point.

Kevin, perhaps as a newly appointed Partner you have a more direct line to LOR than we do? Can you see if LOR can chime in on a post or two here?

Greg

While I am new to the DMX world, I also have the +1 offset issue, not critical, now that I am aware.

Thanks,
Mike

• 3 months later...

Another Noob here,

And I am having some issues with DMX. I am using a USB485, brand new this week, crossover cable, coro's dmx modules on their luminaries and want to check out the operation. Have a LOR controller attached and operating on Comm5, and in network preferences, I have the DMX set for raw protocol, and the only adapter listed is A014....something. I run the control panel and the listener is running and sees the adapter. LOR controller works fine in sequencer controlling lights....DMX just stays off....unplug the crossover and they start the auto pattern....plug it in and they go off. Heard about trouble with them being 1 off...so I went through all my DMX channels and moved them up 1 number, so RGB light on 56-58 is now on 57-59, please chime in if I completely misunderstood that concept...and that's about it. I have saved changes, shutdown control panel and restarted, shutdown computer and restarted everything....Ideas??? Please???