Light-O-Rama Forums

PC16 Kit

Mike Manzara

Going to give you some advice. First, if a vet says something. Realize we have been there and done that, and we are trying to save you some grief or having to relearn what we have found to work. LEDs go out at abt 5 to 10% and most are at abt 95% illumination at about 50% turn on.

Dan,

Just a zero year newbie here with a question as we begin to assemble our first display.  I've read that single strings of LEDs sometimes dont operate well on their own channel because they daont draw enough current like incandescent lights do for the circuit to recognize the load and stabilize, so some folks put a non-lighting draw item on the line to help compensate.  Are you saying that as I program our first sequence, that we must also use a 10%-55% illumination rating for LEDs instead of a full on or off?

But if you just have to see this for yourself. Attach a string of LEDs and using the Hardware Utility and the sliders and in a dark room run the slider up and down and take notes when the LEDs go out and when they seem to stop getting brighter. Ya you might see a slight difference in brightness between 50 and 100%. But not much. Then I suggest you put a string of LED and ican minis and do some 0 to 100 and back to 0 fades and see how the icans look good. but the LEDs seem delay fading.

This is why the power levels for fades are different between the two types of lights.

Went back and read some more. The 5 to 50% is for a non-compensated board. If you have a Gen 3 board and apply a fading curve then you might be able to use the full 0 to 100%. I have no experience with one of those boards.

Edited by Max-Paul