Light-O-Rama Forums

PC16 Kit

Mike Manzara

Has anyone heard when more PC 16 kits are going to be available. They have been showing out of stock since Christmas

Guest wbottomley

Mike Manzara wrote:

Has anyone heard when more PC 16 kits are going to be available. They have been showing out of stock since Christmas

I understand they are going to be sold only to US residents. :P

Greg Doughty wrote:

whew, I thought they weren't doing them anymore.
And what close their doors? The PC series is their biggest money maker I bet. As for the actual kits that you put together, well that might be another thing again. I am hearing that a good portion of the board is SMT. And 99.9% of us do not have the equipment to build an SMT board.

But as always, rumors have a 50/50 chance of being right. So, lets just wait and see what is offered up.

yep, that is what I am worried about. The boards that need to be soldered together. I see that as part of the fun!!

Greg,

I totally know what you mean about it being part of the fun. With the exception of one DC card. My 7 AC card are kits that I built. I used LEDs and Kepal CG-1500 boxes and I used Al angle bars for both heat sinks and the way to mount the boards in the boxes. So, if the PC boards in the future are SMT, well that will take a bit of the fun out of the controllers.

Max-Paul wrote:

Greg,

I totally know what you mean about it being part of the fun. With the exception of one DC card. My 7 AC card are kits that I built. I used LEDs and Kepal CG-1500 boxes and I used Al angle bars for both heat sinks and the way to mount the boards in the boxes. So, if the PC boards in the future are SMT, well that will take a bit of the fun out of the controllers.

that might be something to add to the wishlist, Incase some would like to try and solder.

Well, if you take a look at the board photo here:

http://store.lightorama.com/caasaop.html

There are still some through hole devices. The Triacs, and spade lugs are obvious ones. But also the transformer, 3 different header blocks, and the socket for the RS-485 chip. Some of those might be done before board gets set aside for a kit. I doubt we will know until somebody has them in hand.

• 3 weeks later...

So Does anyone know if they really aren't making the Solder yourself boards this year? that will change my budget plans? I'm hoping to get 4 boards this year and i was going to build them myself to save on cost.

MCas4380 wrote:

So Does anyone know if they really aren't making the Solder yourself boards this year? that will change my budget plans? I'm hoping to get 4 boards this year and i was going to build them myself to save on cost.

Only going with what I know. The word is "by the end of the month."

(Sorry, don't know anything more than that.)

Well I just called and your right about the end of the month. and they say it will still be the Gen 2 kits. just so other know.

I'm from Missouri. And we have a saying "Show Me". Till I see it back in the store all is just a bunch of speculation. Don has been wrong once already trying to speculate. There was a running joke a few years ago about the availability of a custom built rifle. The guy every two weeks would say "Just two more weeks!". Lesson learned and last year is another case lesson.

So the Pc-Kits will still be Gen2?

Is there that much difference between Gen2 and Gen3 boards other than how it is built? I mean you can get a kit for $99 or a Prebuilt Gen3 for $42 more. Is it worth it?

Dan C.
Mind you, this is what was being passed around. Dont think I have ever seen this in print per say. But the Gen 3 boards were going to be more LED friendly. Meaning that there was going to be a snubber built in the board to help remove the flicker fades. I also thought that there was going to be some form of scaling so that even though the LEDs operated between say 10% to 55% for min and max. By applying the scaling, you would still program 0 - 100%.

Those are the two I remember. Now I say was a lot. This is to mean, what I had heard, and might actually be on the new G3 boards. But I have to see it to believe it is true and do not mean to mislead, but to answer your Q to my best.

• 11 months later...

Dan,

Just a zero year newbie here with a question as we begin to assemble our first display.  I've read that single strings of LEDs sometimes dont operate well on their own channel because they dont draw enough current like incandescent lights do for the circuit to recognize the load and stabilize, so some folks put a non-lighting draw item on the line to help compensate.  Are you saying that as I program our first sequence, that we must also use a 10%-55% illumination rating for LEDs instead of a full on or off?