Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D-QC

rgardner518

I want to buy a CMB16D-QC this summer. And I'm looking now, for the housing to hold it, and my power supply. I think my power supply will fit in the CTB16PC enclosure. But the LOR website doe not state the size of the CMB16D-QC. So My question to everyone.

Whats the measurements of a CMB16D-QC?

FOLLOW-UP: My Power supply is 4.5" wide, by 8" long. The CTB-16PC case Interior dimensions: 10.3" x 7.7" So that give me 3.2" between the power supply and the wall of the enclosure. Is the CMB-16D-QC that small?

Now I understand what everyone is talking about, I clicked my mouse 3 times to get the answer to your questions, and yes it's on the LOR website...

rstately wrote:

Now I understand what everyone is talking about, I clicked my mouse 3 times to get the answer to your questions, and yes it's on the LOR website...

I don't understand your comment? But I did find it on LOR's website here: http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html

Nevermind

rescue_653 wrote:

Ray let me look at my DC controller I have it mounted in a PC controller box so let me measure the left over space and I will let you know.

How did you make out?

Thanks. So it will not fit inside a pc box with the power supply I have. That's why I ask. You also said heat sinks. I thought you could not put heat sinks on this, as the board is run differently! I thought I read that if they are installed. It takes channels 1-8 makes it one channel. And channels 9-16, and makes that one channel. I don't understand that though.

Regarding heatsinks, the requirements and installation differ between generation 1 & 2 DC boards. (See manual pp5-6). Generation 2 boards handle 4A/channel without heatsinks and in my experience, this has always been adequate for running LED strings & RGB modules that I have connected. (Generation 1 boards are more limited at 1A/channel without heatsinks.)

Last year I ran 30 DC boards - none with heatsinks.

Hope this helps - Geoff

rstately wrote:

+1 ^^^^

• 2 months later...

Timon wrote:

One thing that's not in the docs is the mounting hole spacing. Does anyone have it or can measure it easily.

Thanks
John

It was hard to measure the board since it is mounted but it lools like 3 11/16 by 4 11/16. The holes are just inside each corner.

Thanks Gary!

I was hoping that the board size was actually a bit larger than listed and the holes were really 4 x 5 but that was such a long shot that the target is not even visible. That said, I was expecting them to be at least a 1/4 inch from the edge and thus be 3.5 x 4.5. I guess it doesn't matter as it looks like one needs to make a mounting plate to use any of the CG-xxxx series cases.

Again, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first two CMB16D-QC's. But does it have LED indector light on it like the PC version does so I know if its working?

Okay here is a question for the teche people. How can i wire an external led to the board so i can mount a remote led on the outside of the encloser?

If you want to avoid any electrical work, use some fiber optics. You may find some in an old decoration such as a fiber optic lamp or whatever. (I have a Christmas decoration with a load of it)
You may luck out finding some at a salvation army store, or buy it online. It is not cheap, but you will not need much. It can be set up to transfer the light from the LED inside to the outside of your box. Just a different way of doing it.
If you are unfamiliar with fiber optics, it is just lengths of fiber that transfers incoming lite on one end, and sends it, without any power, to the the opposite end. Very efficient, as well.

• 3 months later...

The manual for the CMB16D-QC shows + and - for each channel.

The rectangular RGB LED modules have 4 wires. red, green, blue and yellow. My understanding is the yellow is a common +.

How do I wire this up?

tj

Edited by tjflory

The manual for the CMB16D-QC shows + and - for each channel.

The rectangular RGB LED modules have 4 wires. red, green, blue and yellow. My understanding is the yellow is a common +.

How do I wire this up?

tj

your right yellow is common,so on channel one you would put yellow positive,and then red negitive,then channel two green neg only and channel three blue neg only.then channel 4 yellow positive and red ned and so in