Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple Networks Questions

WeissWelsh

Hi,

I had no problems with my display this year with 32 regular LOR controllers. However, I will be adding about 16 CCRs next year and from what I have read on these forums, I should consider using multiple networks because of the additional 2,400 channels (16*150.) So, I read a bunch of old posts and I have some questions.

#1 -- How many additional networks do you recommend I add for the 16 CCRs? In other words, how many CCRs is suggested per network? I will be upgrading to S3.

#2 -- I currently use a USB485B adapter on one of the USB ports on my laptop. Does using an additional USB port on my laptop constitute a new network?

#3 -- If #2 is true, do I add another USB485B adapter for every additional USB port (network) I use?

#4 -- When I run my show with one network, I can plug the USB485B adapter into any USB port on my laptop and the show runs fine. I don't have to tell it what USB port I'm using. It just figures it out. Is that normal? If I were to use multiple networks, does it just "figure it out" still, or does having multiple networks mean each USB485B (network) must always be attached to a specific USB port?

#5 -- If #4 is true and each USB485B has a specific port, then how do I figure out what each USB port on my laptop is called (comm1, comm2, etc...,) so that I know how to set up my channels properly?

I think that's enough questions for now. I'm sure there will be more. :-)

Bob

#1 there have been a lot of numbers reported to work. I use 1 for each 4 CCRs. Some have said 6 and some use an adapter for each CCR. It depends on how many commands you need to send to the CCRs at once. Doing very complex movements on all CCRs at once will overload with too many commands and some will drop or not be performed.

#2 Yes You install another adapter and also configure your sequences to use it.

#3 Yes

#4 There is default called 'regular' which is used.

#5 In your sequence Channel configuration. You specify which network along with the unit and circuit. In preferences you specify which comm port is associated with the Regular network and any other you use.

WeissWelsh wrote:

Hi,

I had no problems with my display this year with 32 regular LOR controllers. However, I will be adding about 16 CCRs next year and from what I have read on these forums, I should consider using multiple networks because of the additional 2,400 channels (16*150.) So, I read a bunch of old posts and I have some questions.

#1 -- How many additional networks do you recommend I add for the 16 CCRs? In other words, how many CCRs is suggested per network? I will be upgrading to S3.

I ran 11 on one network and it seemed to keep up no problem. (I had 15 total) the other 4 ran with my regular controllers.

#2 -- I currently use a USB485B adapter on one of the USB ports on my laptop. Does using an additional USB port on my laptop constitute a new network?

Yes One USB port one USB485B = One Network

#3 -- If #2 is true, do I add another USB485B adapter for every additional USB port (network) I use?

Yes see Above!

#4 -- When I run my show with one network, I can plug the USB485B adapter into any USB port on my laptop and the show runs fine. I don't have to tell it what USB port I'm using. It just figures it out. Is that normal? If I were to use multiple networks, does it just "figure it out" still, or does having multiple networks mean each USB485B (network) must always be attached to a specific USB port?

When you have one there is the notion of default network. You need to configure the alternate networks and then tell the sequence what network the device you are using is on.

#5 -- If #4 is true and each USB485B has a specific port, then how do I figure out what each USB port on my laptop is called (comm1, comm2, etc...,) so that I know how to set up my channels properly?

You can use the Hardware utility to sort that out. It asks you which is the default network then you can test and see which is which. (seems to work for me but I am sure there are probably other ways as well) :)

I think that's enough questions for now. I'm sure there will be more. :-)

Take Care!

Bob

Plugging the adapters in one at a time and documenting which comm port gets added with each new adapter will help you sort it out

WeissWelsh wrote:

or does having multiple networks mean each USB485B (network) must always be attached to a specific USB port?

Each USB device (e.g. a USB-RS485B) has a unique serial number. When you first install the device (it doesn't matter which USB port is used), Windows™ remembers the settings for that device, including the serial port number, if applicable. If you plug it into a different USB port (such as a hub), it should use the same serial port number.

The best way is to add a new USB-RS485 with the existing ones connected. That way you know it will be assigned to a unique serial port. Then write that port number on a label and stick it to the device.

Did you try only putting one adapter on the PC, then open the sequence editor, see if that adapter in the Network Preferences is being displayed and mark to Unique serial down.

Close the Sequence editor and remove that adapter and plug the other one in to the same USB port and then open the Sequence Editor again and check what the Network preferences shows you for that adapters serial number.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

#1 there have been a lot of numbers reported to work. I use 1 for each 4 CCRs. Some have said 6 and some use an adapter for each CCR. It depends on how many commands you need to send to the CCRs at once. Doing very complex movements on all CCRs at once will overload with too many commands and some will drop or not be performed.

#2 Yes You install another adapter and also configure your sequences to use it.

#3 Yes

#4 There is default called 'regular' which is used.

#5 In your sequence Channel configuration. You specify which network along with the unit and circuit. In preferences you specify which comm port is associated with the Regular network and any other you use.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for all the information. I was curious about one thing you wrote. You mentioned that you use 1 network for every 4 CCRs. If I decided to do the same thing, then I would need 4 USB ports for my CCRs and 1 port for everything else, for a total of 5 USB ports. I run the show from my laptop that has only 3 USB ports.

If I were to attach a 4-port USB hub to one of my laptop ports, will each of those hub ports work as a new network? More importantly, will it do what it's intended to do, which is to reduce the traffic on a network?

The reason I ask about reducing the traffic is because I thought when a command is sent to a USB hub, it is really sent to every port on the hub and then the device it was intended for uses it, while the other devices on the hub ignore it. But since every port receives the command, won't that defeat the purpose of reducing traffic?

Keep in mind I have no real knowledge of all this USB port stuff and may be remembering what people said to me long ago incorrectly. I do that a lot. :-)

Bob

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the advice concerning the ports and the USB485B adapters. Unfortunately, I can't currently try the suggestions becuase I need to purchase more adapters first. :-)

However, I think I understand most of what was said, so I thnk I'll have no problems. I'm ordering the adapters today and I'll let everyone know how it went when they come in.

Thanks again!!

Bob

The USB hub should work with no problem. I ran a total of 15 usb adapters this year (3 LOR and 12 DMX) using two 7 port USB 2.0 hubs (plus on board ports) and had no issues.

As mentioned above, plugging adapters in one at a time, labeling and documenting their ID's saves tons of headaches down the road.

dave

Used 1 network for each of my 4 CCRs because I make them do a lot in a short period of time.
I think you can connect upto 127 USB devices to a Windows PC

Shouldn't impact the use of an ELL since the ELL would be after the LOR dongle. To the ELL it should appear no different. Caveat that I haven't used an ELL for much more than testing in a very long time.

dave

heystew wrote:

You would need 1 pair of ELL's for each network you want to extend.

That could get expensive real fast!

Gary Blair wrote:

heystew wrote:
You would need 1 pair of ELL's for each network you want to extend.

That could get expensive real fast!

Yes it would.
My standard statement about wireless stuff: When you NEED a wireless connection, using one is great. If you don't NEED a wireless connection, a cabled connection will beat a wireless connection every time. That applies to computer LAN, keyboard and mouse connections, headset connections, speakers, lots of other things, and of course - LOR networks.

I would look real carefully to determine if you really NEED to use ELLs or would a cable work for each network. There are of course situations where a wireless connection really is required, but ask yourself if you really need to use ELLS (and the money that goes with purchasing them) or can you use cable?

And yes, I'm a radio guy so if anything I have a bias towards using radio based stuff, but I seldom use WiFi and Bluetooth unless I really have to.