Light-O-Rama Forums

More RGB Strips

Dan C

+1100 Donny!!

You cant put heat sinks on the DC board as the tabs are hot and would short out the channels. Its in the book. If you can figure a way to put very narrow vertical sinks on each tab..

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew Bev

• rgardner518

• Ken Benedict

• Dan C

Dan C,

If you pull back the tape the only thing covering the connectioin points is the sticky adhesive, so if you are willing to take a chance that moisture will not track between the tabs, but myself I am not willing to take that chance for an extra $10 a strip.

And I found the 30/LEDS a meter to be very bright.

Dan C wrote:

Well The guy you recommended on eBay Ken, I offered him $60 for two. He wouldn't come down much at all. He replied that there was little profit in them for him so he came down to $69 for two. Originally two would have been $69.98

So here is my question. If there is little profit and he's only willing come down $0.98 why bother having a "Make offer" on the auction?

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy them yet.

As for the underside waterproofing issue. I have a question. are the contacts bare on the underside? and is that where you are supposed to solder the wires on?
This will make a huge difference in how I build the framework.

Also, if you do peal the sticky backing off, and the connections are bare, If you applied it to square steel, wouldn't it short out?

I know darn well how much I can get them for and yes the shipping from China can be expensive but I am sure he could be making a profit of about $10.00 on each string. That is why I don't want to buy off of there if I can help it. I rather go straight to the company and purchase from them.

Donny M. Carter wrote:

I say, why make an offer when you can just steal everything you need to do a display? Works for some!

That's not cool! Anyone who steals Christmas stuff, should be punished! I wish I knew who you were referring too! Was this recent?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
I say, why make an offer when you can just steal everything you need to do a display? Works for some!

That's not cool! Anyone who steals Christmas stuff, should be punished! I wish I knew who you were referring too! Was this recent?

One day I hope I'm fortunate enough to meet up with you! That's all!

Donny M. Carter wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
Donny M. Carter wrote:
One day I hope I'm fortunate enough to meet up with you! That's all!

I'd love to meet up with you too! We can exchange ideas, and more! I may have been at this a little be longer then you. But I'm sure I could learn a lot! its a shame we are 1,400 miles away. Oh well! We can just share here.

Really, How close! I would love to meet other people who do this hobby. There is not many in my area who use LOR.

Hope I am not hijacking here but I had a similar best offer experience on ebay, not on the lights but on a power supply priced at $34.95 with free shipping. I offered 33.00 and the seller came back with a counter offer of $34.90 5cents off . I too wondered why bother posting a best offer. The funny part is I won the same power supply on auction same seller for 11.99 + $15.95 shipping . Still less than my offer of $33.00. Also on the lor DC controller in the manual it says you have to insulate the heat sink from the mossefts with a fiber washer and bushing .I don't know if lor sells these or not. Sorry if I am intrupting this thread.

depending on your location( you can put it in your profile) you may not need heat sinks. anything under 4 amps per channel would be fine unless your in a hot climate

Jeffrey wrote:

Here's where I've bought twenty 30-5050 RGB strips from here...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220888921557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you email him and buy 10 at a time he discounts by 10% with free shipping. Shipping takes about a week and so far out of the 10 I've tried, they have all worked wonderfully and seem to match colorwise.

I have to try the next 10 out this weekend and then *hopefully* I will start playing with them all over the next month. I want to get some mounted outside under the eave to see how they hold up.

-Jeff

How do they work with LOR?

Here is my RGB plan, wait 1 more year while everyone here figures it out a little more and makes it a lot easier for me in 2013 :)

I will have to sit and be jealous of your new displays but I hope it will pay off a year from now when I buy in.

I dont know what you are waiting for as a lot of people including myself used this type of LED strip in our displays last year and it all worked great.

This type of strip is easy to cut into sections to make spinners and signs etc.

If you are looking for even more info before you go down the RGB 5050 LED track you can check out our RGB threads at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php

You can also check out one of my videos in which I used the strip for my Mega Tree and Spinners.

The strips were all controlled using LOR DC controllers.

Using it like this does use a lot of channels but you can get any colour from each section.

Troy Mann wrote:

Jeffrey wrote:
Here's where I've bought twenty 30-5050 RGB strips from here...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220888921557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you email him and buy 10 at a time he discounts by 10% with free shipping. Shipping takes about a week and so far out of the 10 I've tried, they have all worked wonderfully and seem to match colorwise.

I have to try the next 10 out this weekend and then *hopefully* I will start playing with them all over the next month. I want to get some mounted outside under the eave to see how they hold up.

-Jeff

How do they work with LOR?

Work great. I noticed the color order on these strips are GRB but honestly... it's not a big deal at all since you assign the individual colors to channels of your own choosing so reassigning them to be RGB is trivial.

I was messing around to get the strips to fit our red, yellow, and white color scheme when I decided to try to "twinkle" all the channels... my 9 year old daughter only got out "cooooool". :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YFHs3YFQc&hl=en&fs=1

The video really doesn't really capture how vivid the colors are in real life... it's *almost* too much.

-Jeff