Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Newbie

Discotech24

bdeditch wrote:

Ponddude wrote:
For those interested in getting DMX to work with LOR, here is a document we put out explaining how to get DMX to work with LOR. It is available on our Downloads page on our site.

http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/pdf/UnderstandingDMX.pdf

I know it has helped a lot of people so I am sure it will help you as well.

Greg

I was looking at this and have a question, is there any conflict running an Enttec and a LOR usb at the same time as dongles. In other words can you run more than one dongle at a time?

Greg, nice update to that document. You covered every question I have ever seen.

Barry, did you notice the screen shot of the Network preferences

And to answer, no conflicts, You can have multiple LOR and DMX dongles.

KenL_MCSE wrote:

Greg, nice update to that document. You covered every question I have ever seen.

Barry, did you notice the screen shot of the Network preferences

And to answer, no conflicts, You can have multiple LOR and DMX dongles.

Ok I was just wondering about that. Just wondering again would that mean I could get 1024 channels using 2 dongles?

Cant wait for 1.31 support, the DMX questions will explode! You can run many DMX dongles for multiple universes. You no longer need Entec or the such as the USB485 from Light O Rama works fine as a universe. There are advantages to the EntecPro but those are mostly void if your using a show computer.

Ken is correct, you can run a ton of networks on with your LOR network. Let me say this though...

I run right around 1600 DMX channels, which is 4 DMX universes. I don't have that many USB ports on my show computer so I ended up having to use a USB hub. I found that the Enttec's don't like the USB hubs. However, the LOR adapters, acting as DMC dongles, have no problem at all with them. So I just used my available USB ports on my computer for my Enttec and the rest of my networks were done on the hub. The show ran great. I also used the Enttec pro, a LOR USB485, a LOR USB485B and a Lynx dongle to make sure the software could handle all the protocols and have no issues whatsoever. Not even a hick up.

It really is going to become extremely useful when you guys see what Seasonal Entertainment will be releasing! ;)

Ponddude wrote:

It really is going to become extremely useful when you guys see what Seasonal Entertainment will be releasing! ;)

Tease! Come on just tell me!

Ponddude wrote:

At least give us a time frame!!!!

By June everything will be available. That is when our second presale is scheduled for. The first one will start on Monday. Sign up for the newsletter!!

Ponddude wrote:

a "DMX For Dummies" book?!?!?!

I'll take TWO!!! :D

GoofyGuy wrote:

Cant wait for 1.31 support, the DMX questions will explode! You can run many DMX dongles for multiple universes. You no longer need Entec or the such as the USB485 from Light O Rama works fine as a universe. There are advantages to the EntecPro but those are mostly void if your using a show computer.

+1 for E1.31 support. This is the one thing that has me holding off from ordering any enttec or usb485 dongles or rgb controllers as of right this moment. I would hate to spend $150 a pop for a bunch of enttec pros and then end up using E1.31 to create multiple universes.

Disco, I'm just a week ahead of you with the research. THere are a number of links in this forum that have a lot of info.

I found this one on the Holiday corosite. It's the first one I went through.

Dave has created some great videos on the basics of RGB.

https://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=15

Here's a a thread that has a video that proved INVALUABLE as to how to use S3 to setup both LOR and DMX

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31417&forum_id=75&jump_to=297295#p297295

• The topic was locked