Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Newbie

Discotech24

I want to go to some RGB DMX control next year, but am still unclear as to what is required, so many things posted in so my posts in this forum, head is spinning. First question, can I plug a DMX controller into the second RJ45 port on my original LOR 16 channel controller(perhaps with some rewiring of the connector on the wire) and just control the DMX universe that way? Second, if this is not possible what is the easiest and cheapest way to start into RGB DMX. Essentially I would like to make my house similar to the one on YouTube featuring the song from LMFAO, maybe not next year but that is the direction I would like to head. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am an electronics technician so I have access to alot of hardware and components to do whatever I need to in order to make it cheaper(i.e. make my own cables, adapters etc.)Check the video, I'm sure most have seen it.

First answer -> Prior to S3 you needed an iDMX1000 to plug run your LOR network into your DMX network. S3 software allows you to buy a DMX dongle to run your dmx network. Thus you would have two networks, LOR and DMX. With that said, this document tells you how to run your LOR controller as DMX. http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf. Again to run dmx you need a DMX dongle like an Enttec.

2) The least expensive way to go is to use the $45 Enttec (Open DMX protocol). Howerver, I use the pro - $110. The difference is the pro does the timing, the open your computer does the timing.

There are several DYI projects where you can build a pro for about $45. Google Martin DMX and DIY Lightamation DMX. BUT, Why when you can get one that works.

I have read and hopefully someone else chimes in that the LOR RS485 can also do DMX. But again, two networks.

Hope this helps shed some light on this for you!

So i can still use my existing LOR 16 channel controller for the other channels and I need a second dongle and/or DMX controller and plug it into a second USB port on the PC? DOes it have to be Entec or can I use the ones from holidaycoro.com

KenL_MCSE wrote:

First answer -> Prior to S3 you needed an iDMX1000 to plug run your LOR network into your DMX network. S3 software allows you to buy a DMX dongle to run your dmx network. Thus you would have two networks, LOR and DMX. With that said, this document tells you how to run your LOR controller as DMX. http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf. Again to run dmx you need a DMX dongle like an Enttec.

2) The least expensive way to go is to use the $45 Enttec (Open DMX protocol). Howerver, I use the pro - $110. The difference is the pro does the timing, the open your computer does the timing.

There are several DYI projects where you can build a pro for about $45. Google Martin DMX and DIY Lightamation DMX. BUT, Why when you can get one that works.

I have read and hopefully someone else chimes in that the LOR RS485 can also do DMX. But again, two networks.

Hope this helps shed some light on this for you!

For some reason the link doesn't work.

Yes you would continue to use the LOR controllers for your 110 volt lights and use the dmx dongle for DC lights/apperatus at the same time ( LOR osb485 plugged in and your dmx dongle (enttec) in a different usb port). If you are using LOR 3xx or LSP.

That item as superbrightleds is not a dmx dongle. This is;
http://www.sirs-e.com/st/enttec-open-interface-p-47.html?cPath=27 - and this is http://www.sirs-e.com/st/enttec-interface-p-46.html?cPath=27

The item you send from super bright leds is basically a DMX board. Like the LOR board. You would use the dongle above, LOR software and this to control a single RGB strip. Which is crazy since you can use a LOR DC board to control 5 RGB strips.

Google lightorma dmx it will be the first search result returned.

OK thanks....now i understand...but I thought I had read that the LOR DC board would only work as dummy controller....can you use it to do the same RGB light changing and control that I see all over the net?

one dongle will do a single universe which is 512 channels. The RGB's I use a dumb strings. Thus every string of 50 lights is 3 channels. I have a single dongle and a single LOR RS485 dongle.

The reason I said I use dumb RGB strings is there are also smart or IC controlled strings. Like the CCR. Each light is a single channel in the DMX world. This is what you see when you have guys talking about smart strings running their mega trees. The cost of a tree like this is over $2000 - that is a whole new world!

So would I be able to use the Entec dongle and one string of RGB LED's to create an arch and have the jumping effect I see on the net, that is one prop I would love to put in my yard, but I don't want to have to take up 4-8 of my 16 channels on my LOR controller.

Watch this video,

Pay attention to my RGB swags and my RGB Bethlehem Star.

I use these lights http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-314088420/12mm-diameter-through-hole-LED-channel-letter-DC5V-input-RGB-waterproof-0-3W-120degree-beam-angle.html

I cut the strigs in groups of 8 lights for each channel in the swag. Each swag is 8 RGB channels that is 24 channels each swag. The star is 3 RGB channels which is 9 channels. These are dumb strings;

Now the smart strings like the CCR you control each individual light. These are the strings that have an IC in the light, example the 1801. For these you need a DMX dongle and a special controller like a E680 - LOR current does not support these controllers - but probably will this year. Take a look at this; http://sandevices.com/products.html

Keep in mind that dumb rgb strings wil be all the same color (3 channels). If you break up a string (like a 5 meter string) into 7 sections you would require 21 channels and require (7) 3 channel controllers or a controller capable of 21 or more channels as well as a power supply. If your goal is leaping rgb arches simpler might be CCR (since it has its own power supply and controller), and would allow up to 50 channels all in one package.

What about the singing faces. I would love to purchase a face from holiday coro but i need more channels, it will take at least 8 channels to do those faces. Could I use the DMX dongle and its 512 channels to control the faces. I would love to get some for Christmas and Halloween

With singing faces you have several options.

1) buy the coro faces from Dave
2) buy coro ($20 a sheet) and make your own faces
3) use a LOR controller DC or AC
3a) AC - You can use 110 volt mini lights
3b) DC - You can use lights from Ray that cost .15 each - this is what I use on my snowflakes.
4) use DMX AC or DC
4a) AC - pay out the nose
4b) AC - DIY DMX board - There are two good DIY boards being used for Christmas - Both under $100 to build
4c) DC - DIY DMX - under $50
4d) DC - 27 channel (9RGB) channel DMX for $44

Just so you are aware there are two major Christmas lighting groups. There is the Light-O-Rama group and there is the do it yourself Christmas group. LOR boards are fantasic and come with great support. The DIY boards have a forum for support. Everything DYI is DMX. LOR boards do both DMX and LOR protocols. If you are going to make a singing face and use 110v mini lights then us a LOR CTB-16PC board. If you are going to us DC lights (I would!) then you can use a LOR DC board. There are other boards out there, these are the two leaders!

If you want to learn more about DMX in Christmas lighting, check out doityourselfchristmas.com and diylightanimation.com.

From what I see the bigest issue with DMX Christmas is not the hardware or the pricing. It is the software. When it comes to software there are only 3 choices and in my opinion LOR is the clear winner! The other two are Vixen and Lightshowpro (aka LSP).

KenL_MCSE wrote:

Just so you are aware there are two major Christmas lighting groups. There is the Light-O-Rama group and there is the do it yourself Christmas group. LOR boards are fantasic and come with great support. The DIY boards have a forum for support. Everything DYI is DMX. LOR boards do both DMX and LOR protocols. If you are going to make a singing face and use 110v mini lights then us a LOR CTB-16PC board. If you are going to us DC lights (I would!) then you can use a LOR DC board. There are other boards out there, these are the two leaders!

If you want to learn more about DMX in Christmas lighting, check out doityourselfchristmas.com and diylightanimation.com.

From what I see the bigest issue with DMX Christmas is not the hardware or the pricing. It is the software. When it comes to software there are only 3 choices and in my opinion LOR is the clear winner! The other two are Vixen and Lightshowpro (aka LSP).

Most important part I see in this quote from Ken who offers great advice is SUPPORT. In a DIY world you have to be able to depend on other people to help you out and for the most part they do. As for Light O Rama Ac or Dc boards, you have a crew of people that only spend time with Light O Rama equipment. They respond quick, usually have the right answer the first time if not they stay on top of you till its fixed. They dont wait for you to respond they keep sending you info till you say its fixed. Im not saying DMX is bad as Ill be running both this year, but if your uncomfortable with finding help when things go wrong LOR is the only way to go.

For those interested in getting DMX to work with LOR, here is a document we put out explaining how to get DMX to work with LOR. It is available on our Downloads page on our site.

http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/pdf/UnderstandingDMX.pdf

I know it has helped a lot of people so I am sure it will help you as well.

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

For those interested in getting DMX to work with LOR, here is a document we put out explaining how to get DMX to work with LOR. It is available on our Downloads page on our site.

http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/pdf/UnderstandingDMX.pdf

I know it has helped a lot of people so I am sure it will help you as well.

Greg

I was looking at this and have a question, is there any conflict running an Enttec and a LOR usb at the same time. In other words can you run more than one dongle at a time?