Light-O-Rama Forums

Argh! Update to 3.1.4 killed show

zman

Becky Scott wrote:

I am not experiencing this same problem. I actually have three different displays running from three different computers, two of which are working beautifully. However, one is locking up after running the show once. It locks the LOR control panel on - will not let me disable show. When I restart the computer, I have to unplug the usb and use the second comm port on the computer. It runs for about 10 minutes then locks up again. I have to go through the same process again. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

What version are you using? If it is "3.something.something", and it is not 3.0.4 or 3.1.4, I suggest upgrading to one of those.

If it is 3.0.4 or 3.1.4, or if upgrading to them does not help, then:

Freezes that "unfreeze" when you pull the USB cable usually are caused by excessive noise on the line. So, I suggest taking steps to reduce the noise on the line, such as:
  • Use a better shielded USB cable.
  • Use ferrite beads on the cable. If you're already using ferrite beads, use better ferrite beads.
  • Isolate the cable as best you can from any potential external sources of electromagnetism (other cables, wires, motors, fans, monitors, whatever).
  • Try using a different USB port, especially one that's directly on your motherboard.

Becky Scott wrote:

I am not experiencing this same problem. I actually have three different displays running from three different computers, two of which are working beautifully. However, one is locking up after running the show once. It locks the LOR control panel on - will not let me disable show. When I restart the computer, I have to unplug the usb and use the second comm port on the computer. It runs for about 10 minutes then locks up again. I have to go through the same process again. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Becky,

On the computer that locked up. In the LOR Sequences directory, delete ALL the xxxx.LCS files and let LOR on that computer regenerate them. LOR will do this on its own.

One of those files may be causing an issue.

What Bob states is important as well. Ensure your physical set up is as clean as possible to avoid interference.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Can we stick with the PI version for a while? PI is my favorite version so far.

Maybe the next version can be 3.141
Then on to 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510

http://pi.ytmnd.com/

that's a lot of versions!

Hope you thoroughly document each step