Light-O-Rama Forums

My apologies to the community.

CLD Kevin

With all this extra attention, people are signing up to the LOR forum just to message me for my address. Bringing new people is great, but not if they are just going to troll.

If you are new (just signed up within the past few days) and have 0 post and sending me PMs for my address...I will not answer you. If you just signed up just to get my address, then you’re at the wrong place.

Fellas...and ladies, please tell me if I’m being too harsh. I’m already getting a lot of people showing up to my house and I understand they would like to see it, but it’s just getting too crazy and I’m not the only one living there. Besides, this forum is for those who want to learn and share…not to troll.

Kevin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Roberson

• caniac

• shfr26

• LORi P

Kevin - you're not being too harsh at all...

To paraphrase a wise old man (that's you, Jeff), Never do a media interview. It will be nothing but trouble.

We have seen it over and over, from Carson Willimas to you, Kevin. Word of mouth is plenty of advertising for me.

By the way Kevin, your display is AWESOME, and if I lived closer, I'd be in that line of traffic in front of your house :)

D.T.

Kevin, You do what you need to do to keep you'r sanity, your private life private, and your family safe.
We are all proud of you, and at the same time, most of us are SO glad not to be in the spot light.

You have 1 more week till things start to settle down, once that happens you can fill us all in on the craziness that has overcome you in the last week.
Of course by then we will all be running to get Christmas done and ignore you, but hey after 2+ million people have watched your videos and thousands trying to contact you, isn't it nice to know that the ones that are here for you will just ignore you in a good way :cool:

Kevin,

Do what you need to do. I understand. Last Christmas some how people got my cell number. I got calls at all times of the day. People would drive up after the show was off, 1 or 2 in the morning and call saying can you turn it back on.

You got a grate display. Hope to stop by this week.

Steve

Steve Constantino wrote:

Last Christmas some how people got my cell number. I got calls at all times of the day. People would drive up after the show was off, 1 or 2 in the morning and call saying can you turn it back on.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Craker, you have done an amazing job and like everyone else has said, being in the spot light has its drawbacks. That much attention is one of them. I'm sure everyone means well, but you never know who is out there who might have other intentions, so all I can offer is be cautions with you give your address out to.

And, NO, you are not being to harsh at all!!! I would treat the people signing up just for your address as spam. Ignore it and report them to Dan. Maybe he can send them a message regarding trolling, and then suspend their account or something.

Cracker,

Yes, there will be many things to deal with, however, it all becomes worthwhile when you realize the joy it brings to others. Also, the exposure of others to our hobby is a fantastic thing for LOR and good for everyone. In fact, I have to give you a big thank you for what your display being out there has done for me personally. You see, 'I' am in part of your display and without what you have done, I wouldn't be feeling the pride that I am right now. So it touches people in ways that you don't even know.

Keep up the good work and no, you're not being too harsh :)

Craig

I would reply here, but I don't want to Kevin to call me a troll!:):D

Seriously, you have an awesome display and you just do whatever it takes to make you and yours safe and happy. We all thank you for your advice and wisdom.

I would reply here, but I don't want to Kevin to call me a troll!:D:D

Seriously, you have an awesome display and you just do whatever it takes to make you and yours safe and happy. We all thank you for your advice and wisdom.

Thanks All,

I did respond to those who were "legit" members. I may have accidently deleted a couple that I shouldn’t have...too many, sorry. If you didn’t get a response from me and you don’t fit in the “troll” category, PM me again and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks, Kevin

Don't worry over it Kevin - you are not being harsh. I think if I were in your shoes, I would be doing the same thing.

I do it all for me - so I have no website, I do not have a youtube channel, etc. I get quite a bit of traffic (not huge, but just enough). But I also get enjoyment and take pride when others in the LOR community do well (like you). That should be enough. If anyone is hitting you up for info on lighting then let them learn through the LOR community. After all, that is what it is here for - not to hand out personal addresses/info just to go watch in person.

We all like to help and to learn (and this group is great at it) but you do not owe anyone anything. Please don't feel like those particular PMs are anything other than SPAM.

OK - so is that harsh? LOL.

The resourcefulness of people really amazes me at time (when they are not too busy playing dumb). Don't worry about the forum. If we find any trolls we'll just feed them to Jeff and William :D

Go try to enjoy the chaos.

No apoligies needed Kevin. Maybe a subject of "Don't Advertise" would give folks some advice :-)

In the last couple of years, we don't list our show with any of the local "Christmas Watch" or "Christmas Lights" web sites. We just keep our own private one. In fact we stopped the shows last year mainly due to a popularity reason. Especially with a nice display like yours, people will come out of the woodwork anyway to see it.

As tempting as it is to get broad attention, we have found that is definitely has more downsides than good.

Kevin,

I'm one of those who PM'd you, and I thank you for your response. :D I saw your video, as well as lots of other people and loved it. Since you only live a short distance from me, I thought it would be cool to see it in person.

You are a big help to this community, and I appreciate it as well: I just couldn't figure out anyway to find out where your display was.

Thanks again, I know we all have another life outside of LOR, right?

Your display has even had exposure in the Australian media. A very nice and impressive display that sure warrants the hype it has.

Ive learnt that media exposure will only bring the hoards. last year i kept the media exposure to a minimal and word of mouth is what really got the crowds in, i was getting 250-300 cars in a 1.5 hour period mainly by word of mouth. I will have to see how this year goes, if it gets a lot more traffic than last year then ill consider missing a year just to give the poor neighbours a reprieve.

Cracker wrote:

If you are new (just signed up within the past few days) and have 0 post and sending me PMs for my address...I will not answer you. If you just signed up just to get my address, then you’re at the wrong place.

Kevin

If you get more PMs fitting your description above just tell them it isn't you and direct them to PC.:D;) LOL

No, just kidding.

You do an awesome job and are a asset to the community. Thank you for all that you have shared with us.

I hope things calm down for you so you can actually enjoy your work!!

You know you've made the big time when your California display makes the local news in Florida, yep just saw it on the 4:30 news. Don't know whether to say congrat's or not, but awesome display none the less.

Cracker,

Your display is fantastic and you are a master sequencer.

And Thanks for sharing your 2008 sequences they are running every night in NJ on my pumpkin face.

Please only respond to PM you want to, when you become a celebrity, you are entitled to also remain private.

Those of us in this light community will understand if you do not respond. When your video appeared on GMA and yahoo I was honored to say that I had seen them already and that I knew of you thru this great hobby.

Enjoy your success!