• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitanBry77

• Dave Boros

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

I've cut down many LED strings in half. Most 50 light LED strings are TWO seperate strings of 25 LED's each. I would NOT cut them less than 1/2 of the string count though, that's asking for more trouble than it's worth.

But yes, you can add a female end to the 25 count string that was cut down. It's not difficult, but you have to be sure the string CAN be cut, some can not and then you'd just create another potential problem if you tried to.

If the string can be cut down, look at the wires between the 25th and 26th LED, if it's only TWO wires, it can be cut, if not, DON'T CUT IT. Once cut, you splice on a male connector on the string that has the female end. Now you have a 25 LED Light string. The remaining two wires from the other string that you cut gets the female connector and now you have 2 strings of 25 LED's each.

Hope that helps, but again, be sure the LED string has ONLY TWO wires between LED 25 and LED 26 to make this cut and convert 1 string into two.

Good Luck!

As for securing my lights, I use an assortment of cable clamps (white plastic) that has a single screw hole in both pieces, as you screw the clamp down it tightens on the wire and holds it in place.

Have used them now for well over 10+ years with no issues. I usually use them every 3rd or 4th bulb on a string. Never had any droops all season from the time I put them up 'til I took them down,

I also use them around windows if the window has an area I can screw the clamp down onto. If not, a frame would need to be built to fit the window and secure the light strings to the frame.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Any good tutorials on getting started? I am feeling super overwhelmed with the software. I understand the channels and how to turn lights on/off etc.

I don't see how you know what each effect is and what it does, and how can you visualize what it's doing other than just seeing the channel indicator light up letting you know its on?

I'm thinking of starting another thread with a picture of the front of my house to get suggestions etc.

TitanBry77 wrote:

Any good tutorials on getting started? I am feeling super overwhelmed with the software. I understand the channels and how to turn lights on/off etc.

I don't see how you know what each effect is and what it does, and how can you visualize what it's doing other than just seeing the channel indicator light up letting you know its on?

I'm thinking of starting another thread with a picture of the front of my house to get suggestions etc.

Some of these guys have links that show their displays. Watch them and it can give you some ideas. Did you load your house on the visualizer and draw your lights on it. If not, do that and play around a little. Probably the best way to learn. I know one of the guys site is

www.christmasonyorkdale.com

TitanBry77 wrote:

Here are some good tutorials to start with (I would make sure watch them all):
http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html#Training_Presentations

And here is a link to videos of the new features in S3:
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum95/28633.html

Thanks for the info guys. I have not loaded my house in the visualizer, wasn't so sure how to do that. I didn't know if I have to sketch or load an actual picture. I think I tried loading a picture at one point and it said it was too big, not sure, it was late lol

TitanBry77 wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. I have not loaded my house in the visualizer, wasn't so sure how to do that. I didn't know if I have to sketch or load an actual picture. I think I tried loading a picture at one point and it said it was too big, not sure, it was late lol
Photo is best so you can see what it will actually look like (unless you are a VERY good sketch artist).

TitanBry77 wrote:

Ok, maybe the picture has to be a certain size? It closes when I try to load a picture of my house, I just went outside and took the pics on a DSLR, it's 12 megapixels.

Good luck, and just have fun with it!

TitanBry77 wrote:

Ok, maybe the picture has to be a certain size? It closes when I try to load a picture of my house, I just went outside and took the pics on a DSLR, it's 12 megapixels.

Do you know how to reduce the size in a photo editor? It probably doesn't need to be much more than 1200x1200 or something similar.

Dave Boros wrote:

TitanBry77 wrote:

Good luck, and just have fun with it!

Hard to have fun with it if he can't load it! :?:P