Light-O-Rama Forums

S3 Firmware in OLDER controllers

Guest guest

JBullard wrote:

Nerve ? No. Didnt mean for it to sound harsh. Sorry. Yes the best advice is to test, since all LED strings are not equal.

Glad to hear they work well for you

John is a little 'nervey'. Just say'n..... :D

Dan,

Since Jeff isn't my "friend" anymore, I'll replace him with you.

I'll buy you a drink the next time I'm in New Jersey.

:(:D:D

JBullard wrote:

Dan,

Since Jeff isn't my "friend" anymore, I'll replace him with you.

I'll buy you a drink the next time I'm in New Jersey.

:(:D:D

Where's the LIKE button???

• 1 year later...

Question that will get this thread back on topic.

Do I need Gen3 controllers to take advantage of the dimming curves, or can I just upgrade the firmware in my older controllers to the latest version?

Question that will get this thread back on topic.

Do I need Gen3 controllers to take advantage of the dimming curves, or can I just upgrade the firmware in my older controllers to the latest version?

I'm pretty sure that dimming curves only work with the newest (Gen3) controllers.

Long ago, we were told of custom dimming curves as a firmware update to the gen2 controllers, but anyone holding their breath for it is no longer here.... And nobody has said anything official about the status of that project since the original announcement.

Currently if you need dimming curves, you need Gen3 controllers...

• 2 weeks later...

I would think at this time LOR would make some kind of statement about the firmware on gen 2 controllers. This has been going on for over a year. I would like to know what the hold up is and I am sure many others are wondering about it also. Is there a problem with the gen 2 controllers where they can't be updated.

In a different post, I believe it was Plasmadrive who posted that on a help desk call, they indicated that there was not enough CPU power available in the 2nd gen controllers. I'm not sure if this is final, or if the lack of public announcement is just an indication that they have not completely given up on more efficient code being possible eventually.

While I'd really love to see it, for now I'm planning for it to never be available.

Wonder if there was a way to put in a new chip for low cost. I have no problem spending a few bucks and soldering to update the controllers.