Light-O-Rama Forums

Enttec

bestone

I've been struggling to get my Enttec Pro to work with S3 and a few Rainbow Extremes. Would someone that has a similar setup on XP be willing to send me a screen shot of the what the device should look like in Device Manager once installed correctly? I'm leaning towards it being a driver error. I plan to reach out to Enttec tomorrow as well but figured someone on here walked this road before me.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdeditch

• Tracy West

• Donny M. Carter

• geronc

I don't have XP, but here's something that you should do if you haven't already:

In the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences dialog, make sure that you're using "ENTTECT DMX USB Pro" protocol for this adapter rather than "Raw DMX" protocol.

bob wrote:

In the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences dialog, make sure that you're using "ENTTECT DMX USB Pro" protocol for this adapter rather than "Raw DMX" protocol.

In addition if your enttec is showing up under LOR and not under DMX in the network preferences, you need to change the comm port that the enttec is using under the LOR section to delete/none. then close out of the sequence editor, reopen go back to network preferences and add the enttec to the dmx section. As well as ensuring you change the drop down to pro.

Did I see a post earlier from a beta tester saying that I need to have at least one USB485 installed or S3 will not playback and control the DMX lights? This PC is a new install and I haven't setup any of my LOR controllers on it yet.

I only have two USB485B adapters but from the testing I have done, a LOR network has to be setup before a DMX network will output DMX. Also, the LOR comm listener must be running which I think starts when the LOR control panel is started.

Jeff makes a very big point here. A lot of people are forgetting to ensure that you open the Control Panel so that the Comm Listener is running. Without it running, controlling your DMX devices via the Sequence Editor will not work.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and feedback. I think I have everything setup correctly except for adding my LOR USB adaptors. I will try and get them loaded up tonight and test again.

Please post how it all works out. I have a similar setup for this year. Just waiting for my dmx pro to arrive. Can't wait to see how adding dmx this year opens some things up. Now if I could only get out of this cast, broke a bone in my foot a few weeks ago helping the sidelines of a youth football game. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I have output working DMX with only a single ENTTEC Open dongle attached. I don't even own an LOR USB/RS485 dongle, so that can't be a requirement.

Having the Control Panel open first - that certainly is a requirement.

Also, if you ever change DMX Network settings, a very good practice is to:

Save the sequence(s)
Close the sequencer
Unload LOR (killing the Control Panel completely)
Re-open the Control Panel
Open the sequencer.

Personal experience ;)

It's true that a LOR adapter does not have to be hooked up, but I think one has to be defined in the network settings. I noticed this whiles testing last night that the DMX was working and the LOR adapter was unplugged.

More testing to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

The issue ended up being the dongle that combines DMX and power to the Rainbow floods. Greg quickly sent a new one and the problem is fixed. Thanks everyone for the feedback and input. The Enttec and Rainbows work great with S3.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I setup a LOR RS485 in the Network. I'm having problems with getting data out through the enttec open DMX controller. I can't get anything to my boards.

The other question that I need to ask is has anybody gotten S3 to communicate with Renard boards?

Do you mean using an LOR USB485 (or USB485-B or USB485-ISO) as a DMX adapter?

If so, select the adapter as a DMX universe's adapter in the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences screen, and set its protocol to "Raw DMX". A couple things to note:

(1) The dropdown list of available adapters for a DMX universe only shows those adapters that are not in use. So if your adapter is already set up to be a port for an LOR network, you may have to unassign it from the LOR network, then stop and start the Sequence Editor, before it will be listed in the dropdown box.

(2) You may have to do some custom wiring in order to connect the adapter's output to your DMX device's input. I'm not a hardware guy, so I can't tell you exactly how to do that, but I think if you ask on these forums someone will probably be able to tell you. Or you could open up a ticket on our help desk about it, and someone more knowledgeable than me about such things will help you out with it.

I have 1 LOR adapter, and 1 Enttec Open DMX - fed my settings into network preferences, and opened the control panel, everything worked fine.

Now I just have t0 figure out how to sequence a couple hundred channels really quick

Looks like bestone issue was resolved, so wanted to ask question about the Enttec....

Is this th Enttec USB Pro you are using? $150 a pop? http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products∏=70304&show=description

Or the $60 one? http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70303&show=description&name=opendmxusb

In S3, does the number of intelligent channels apply like in S2? 128?

Diferences between the open and pro :

Pro has an input.
Pro has a chip to handel processing the comamnds

Open only has an output (5pin XLR)
Open make use of host cpu for processing.

At the present time s3 is only coded for basic support so even though pro has the better chip, its not being used (but they say it will be in future releases)

As for inteligent channel limits, (I think your refering to license limit) it doesnt apply because you must purchase an Advanced license to use DMX dongle support, so your channel count is unlimited.

I think someone said the pro may use 3 pin xlr, not sure, I have the open one. 60 bucks.

If showtime is ever able to accept an input triggerr via DMX, I would probably upgrade to the pro, but running even a low end dual core CPU with only S3 leaves plenty of leftover cpu cycles to support the open-dmx unit.

gizmomkr wrote:

< snip>

At the present time s3 is only coded for basic support so even though pro has the better chip, its not being used (but they say it will be in future releases)
< snip>

The future release arrived last Nov 8, with the release of S3 3.1.2

The "on board" processing power of the pro is supported, off loading from the computer CPU.

JBullard wrote:

gizmomkr wrote:
< snip>

< snip>

The future release arrived last Nov 8, with the release of S3 3.1.2

The "on board" processing power of the pro is supported, off loading from the computer CPU.

Correction, full Entec pro support was added in S3 release 3.1.o released Nov 7

Cracker wrote:

In S3, does the number of intelligent channels apply like in S2? 128?

Perhaps you were thinking of the iDMX1000 processor , it had an intelligent channel limit of 128 in use at any given time.

With the release of S3, direct DMX is supported.

You don't even need to spend $ 60 for the Entec open, the regular LOR $ 29 USB-RS485 dongle does the same thing.