Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter

ryanblazer

I have a serious disability, that is, anything I solder instantly stops working. So how one so impaired get my hands on an EDM transmitter?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• JBullard

• Gregg Hess

• rwertz

jstorms wrote:

I have a serious disability, that is, anything I solder instantly stops working. So how one so impaired get my hands on an EDM transmitter?

My 7 year old could have soldered the EDM (3 large easy parts--basically rest the soldering iron on it and let the solder fill the large hole). I don't solder either, but even I could do this. Don't let this stop you.

See page 6 for photos:
http://www.edmdesign.com/docs/EDM-TX-RDS.pdf

Okay I'm man-ing up and going to give this a go. I want to get a good backup for my 1/2 watt Eclipse 4000 and I want RDS, and the LED, and and and....

Which EDM should I get?

I sit on top of a hill in a valley and get reception from stations from far far away. Need a little juice to overcome some of these on a good day. I do have the ideal frequency picked.

jstorms wrote:

Okay I'm man-ing up and going to give this a go. I want to get a good backup for my 1/2 watt Eclipse 4000 and I want RDS, and the LED, and and and....

Which EDM should I get?

I sit on top of a hill in a valley and get reception from stations from far far away. Need a little juice to overcome some of these on a good day. I do have the ideal frequency picked.

If you are wanting RDS, then there is only one to choose:
EDM-LCD-RDS-EP

That is what I have and it is great.

jstorms wrote:

Tell ya what I'm going to do... YOU can buy two (2) EDM transmitters and have them shipped to my house. I will solder them both up and test them out to make sure they work really well. Then I will send one (1) to you. Deal? Sounds good to me...

I just received my EDM-LCD-RDS-EP this week.I have very good sound 4 blocks one direction and a block the other.Just have to have the time to figure out how to make the rds work with my dc-mp3 director.I can`t tell which is better,my mbb 4,000 or the edm.

wallleyes wrote:

I just received my EDM-LCD-RDS-EP this week.I have very good sound 4 blocks one direction and a block the other.Just have to have the time to figure out how to make the rds work with my dc-mp3 director.I can`t tell which is better,my mbb 4,000 or the edm.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, it won't. RDS requires a BAT (batch) file to process the RDS info you place in it.

Since the MP3 directors only read the lcs compressed files and don't read BAT files, RDS can't be used with them. You have to use a computer to use the RDS feature. Sorry.

That's why I was e-mailing EDM with a host of questions and reading the RDS pdf files they have on-line, I use a DC-MP3 player and wanted to use the RDS feature, but since the MP3 unit isn't a "computer", it doesn't have the ability to read or decipher BATch files, which is what that particular EDM model uses to send the information from.

I'm still going to buy an EDM unit, but not one with RDS since I don't use a computer myself to run my shows.

Sometimes it really pays to do a lot of research and e-mail the company asking questions before making costly purchases!

Orville wrote:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, it won't. RDS requires a BAT (batch) file to process the RDS info you place in it.

Since the MP3 directors only read the lcs compressed files and don't read BAT files, RDS can't be used with them. You have to use a computer to use the RDS feature. Sorry.

Orville wrote:
That's why I was e-mailing EDM with a host of questions and reading the RDS pdf files they have on-line, I use a DC-MP3 player and wanted to use the RDS feature, but since the MP3 unit isn't a "computer", it doesn't have the ability to read or decipher BATch files, which is what that particular EDM model uses to send the information from.

I'm still going to buy an EDM unit, but not one with RDS since I don't use a computer myself to run my shows.

Sometimes it really pays to do a lot of research and e-mail the company asking questions before making costly purchases!

Sorry Orville that you aren't entirely correct. It depends what you want to use RDS to do. You are correct if you are wanting the RDS to broadcast the name of each song as it plays, that that feature requires the use of a computer to output a batch file. However, you can have program the transmitter to do a rotating scrolling text throughout the show instead--no computer needed. The transmitter saves the text, and just keeps scrolling it through the show. I use a mini-director, and have my transmitter just scroll something along the lines of "Christmas On Yorkdale...Merry Xmas! 93.5FM KNB Radio" (which is [show name], [greeting], and [station ID], which KNB has family significance). I think it is still pretty cool and guests agree, and gives me the option if I want to do it off my computer in the future instead.

Here is the support info for the RDS software that the EDM uses:
http://www.pira.cz/rds/show.asp?art=rds_encoder_support

http://www.pira.cz/forum/index.php

Hmmm, interesting surfing. Guess I must have missed that part, but most want to usually display the song and possibly artist name, if that's what they want to do, that just isn't possible via the director units. And my questions to EDM were more of the song title/artist RDS information, which, again, the director units absolutely can not process or display.

Would be nice if the directors could read the BATch file and process the info, I'd be more interested in one, but just to scroll my name or message, just not worth the extra $$$ to do that. At least that's my opinion of that option, just not practical enough for what I'd want to really use it for.

But no matter what, the EDM RDS option still requires a computer to program the RDS message no matter what you're displaying on the end users RDS equipped radio and that's pretty much what I was going by.

Orville wrote:

But no matter what, the EDM RDS option still requires a computer to program the RDS message no matter what you're displaying on the end users RDS equipped radio and that's pretty much what I was going by.

I would venture to say that most LOR users probably have a computer to do this on considering they sequenced on a PC in the first place. :(

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Orville wrote:

I would venture to say that most LOR users probably have a computer to do this on considering they sequenced on a PC in the first place. :P

Have you seen some of the newer computers? Most laptops DO NOT even have an DB9 connector on them, many new desktops are now mostly USB and don't have the DB9 connector that the RDS requires to be programmed.

So yes, it's true, we sequence on a computer, but if that computer doesn't have a DB9 Serial Port connector, then what? How you going to program the RDS without one?

My current system doesn't have a parallel or DB9 Port on it and it's almost 2 years old now, it only has USB ports. So I wouldn't even be able to program the RDS at all with my current systems I'm using. I do have an old desktop that I could pull out and use if I had too since it does have those ports.

Is there any way to convert a USB signal into the RS-232 Serial port type of signal required to run/program RDS? I'm thinking not at this time, but I've been mistaken before.:shock:

Orville wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Orville wrote:

I would venture to say that most LOR users probably have a computer to do this on considering they sequenced on a PC in the first place. :P

Have you seen some of the newer computers? Most laptops DO NOT even have an DB9 connector on them, many new desktops are now mostly USB and don't have the DB9 connector that the RDS requires to be programmed.

So yes, it's true, we sequence on a computer, but if that computer doesn't have a DB9 Serial Port connector, then what? How you going to program the RDS without one?

My current system doesn't have a parallel or DB9 Port on it and it's almost 2 years old now, it only has USB ports. So I wouldn't even be able to program the RDS at all with my current systems I'm using. I do have an old desktop that I could pull out and use if I had too since it does have those ports.

Is there any way to convert a USB signal into the RS-232 Serial port type of signal required to run/program RDS? I'm thinking not at this time, but I've been mistaken before.:shock:

Last half of the last sentence is correct. :P

In the EDM forums, it has been stated that there are several adapters that work just fine, such as this one: http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=10262122&sellerid=31064376
10262122.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful info surfin....really helped me make up my mind for a transmitter. For the price and what the EDM can do, not to mention the clarity...thats what I'm going with.

Yes, THANK YOU Surfing! I really had no idea they made such an adapter. I asked a couple computer shops near me about such a thing, got idiotic looks like no, and comments of you can't do DB9 from a USB port, and is why I was thinking there was nothing available, yet. Just know I won't be going back to those particular computer "repair" centers where I was considering having my laptop fixed!

Now that I see there is such a beast, I may reconsider the RDS option, still not sure if I really need or want it though, but be nice to have if I ever did I guess.

Plus I could pull out some old DB9 serial equipment and play with it to see if any of that stuff still works from my "scrap box". I was going to dissect them for parts.

Now I'm going to have to think if I want to really spend the extra $$ on the RDS option. Before I knew some of this it was a no-brainer, get the standard NON-RDS unit, which I may still go with. Dang, surf, you've put me in a conondry(sp?)! :P;):shock: