• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surfing4Dough

• JBullard

• Gregg Hess

• rwertz

JBullard wrote:

Try the EDM transmitter
And forget about using any external antenna. Not needed, unless you want to take your chances of upsetting a few of your neighbors by washing out their favorite radio station with yours.

EDM ! Buy it once, and move on. I farted around with ccrane and others. I read the forum, spent the money and have not had to think about a FM transmitter since. Other than more controllers, the best money I've spent ! ! !

which EDM model?

I live in LA, so there are no true "vacant" frequencies. 89.5 is my freq, which got bleed over from KPBS-FM in San Diego, which I am sure is an okay frequency to use (no LA licensed stations at that freq)

well use what you want but edm is the way i went and from my testing im not sorry with my choice alto i do use an external ant im in the country with plenty of open fm feqs and from my testing i found no bleed over at 100 feet so my neighbors will be fine altho the glare from my display might keep them awake lol.

I started with a Ramsey FM10C. It worked fine at first but started to drift off frequency and would need to be readjusted, unacceptable to me.
Next I tried the CZH-05A. This thing had plenty of power (too much actually) and would reach over a mile with the little rubber antenna. Plus for some reason there were quite a few car radios that could not tune to the station? No idea why. Then it started changing frequency when power was turned off and back on, it's supposed to stay on the set frequency.

Finally I coughed up the money for a EDM-LCD-RDS-EP. It took a while to get here, almost 3 weeks. It absolutely sounds clearer than the rest, turns on to the frequency I set every time, and I haven't found a radio that can't pick it up yet. Plus RDS is pretty neat, had more people comment on it than I thought would.

To sum it up, go with the EDM the first time and never look back. You'll be happy you did.

I just ordered the EDM-LCD-CS-EP, after reading extensive praise from the 'big boys' on this forum.... I'll let you know how it turns out, if you like (but I'm hoping it's positive!).

ryanblazer wrote:

which EDM model?

I live in LA, so there are no true "vacant" frequencies. 89.5 is my freq, which got bleed over from KPBS-FM in San Diego, which I am sure is an okay frequency to use (no LA licensed stations at that freq)

EDM-LCD-CS-EP is probably the most economical model (most bang for the buck, quality vs. price)

EDM-TX-LCD-EP and EDM-LCD-RDS-EP are their best transmitters--only difference between the 2 is one has RDS, one doesn't. I love my RDS model--sound quality is incredible and RDS is a fun luxury.

Here is more info on the CS model:
EDMLCDCS1.jpg

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

I soldered my EDM last night and tested tonight. With the test antenna just hanging off the desk in the office of my home I was able to pick up a very clear signal a half a block away in any direction. Much better than the Whole House Transmitter I used last year.

I have my EDM on order, should be here any day. After reading all the praise, plus I want the RDS function.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

ryanblazer wrote:
which EDM model?

EDM-LCD-CS-EP is probably the most economical model (most bang for the buck, quality vs. price)

EDM-TX-LCD-EP and EDM-LCD-RDS-EP are their best transmitters--only difference between the 2 is one has RDS, one doesn't. I love my RDS model--sound quality is incredible and RDS is a fun luxury.

Here is more info on the CS model:
EDMLCDCS1.jpg

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

How long of a message can you send out on the rds?I have been thinking of buying the EDM-LCD-RDS-EP .

I currently use a Ramsey FM25B. Obviously everyone here swears by EDM. Are they really that much better than what I'm currently using to warrant the cost? What makes the EDM better?

Just curious.

wallleyes wrote:

How long of a message can you send out on the rds?

Most RDS-capable FM receivers will show the "PS" (programme service) field from the RDS stream.

Some FM receivers, such as ones that integrate with the MFD (Multi-Function Display) in modern automobiles, will also display the RT (radio text) field.

The PS field is limited to 8 characters. To get around this limitation, the EDM, and most other RDS encoders, will implement "dynamic PS", which cycles a different 8 characters every couple of seconds. Even commercial FM stations do this.

The RT field is capable of up to 64 characters.

You also set the PTY (program type) field to your choice of 8 (soft rock), 12 (soft), 14 (jazz), 15 (classical), 19 (religious music), or something else. Unfortunately, there is no value that means "Christmas music" or "display music".

Dan C wrote:

I currently use a Ramsey FM25B. Obviously everyone here swears by EDM. Are they really that much better than what I'm currently using to warrant the cost? What makes the EDM better?

Just curious.

Several things readily come to mind:

Ruggednes - the EDM is designed for and used as the village radio station all over the world, designed to withstand a swr of 25:1 without damaging the output stages

Sound quality, stereo separation, frequency stability, 2nd and 3rd harmonic supression, etc

It is a low cost serious radio transmitter!

forgot to mention warranty, and they have a warranty repair station here in the US.

JBullard wrote:

Dan C wrote:

Just curious.

Several things readily come to mind:

Ruggednes - the EDM is designed for and used as the village radio station all over the world, designed to withstand a swr of 25:1 without damaging the output stages

Sound quality, stereo separation, frequency stability, 2nd and 3rd harmonic supression, etc

It is a low cost serious radio transmitter!

forgot to mention warranty, and they have a warranty repair station here in the US.

Thanks Steven

I just made my purchase on an edm-lcd-rds-ep.Now i will sell my mbb 4,000.

As far as RDS, it is pretty slick. Our Van radio went out, so I bought a new one and it had RDS, I had no clue.

It is cool to see the station and the song information, then I got a new home Stereo, and of course, the receiver has it too.

It is going to be cool pulling up in a car, and seeing "Frosty the Snowman - Perry Como" on the radio.... or "Cascade Christmas Radio 100.9" during the between songs voice over. Geeky, but cool.

I don't know... I have and run a Ramsey FM25B and have had no problems with it. In fact, It worked while submursed under water last year for about three hours till I found my mount had failed and allowed rain water to run directly down the antenna into the water tight box.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is new the Newbies section I am going to ask. The EDM has a very limited website with very cryptic info for those people like myself who are new at this. Its sold as a kit so my question is how much soldering is involved. Based on the limited amount of info on the website I am a tad worried about the instructions that will come with one of these units. I am picturing IKEA instruction manual.

ShaggySS wrote:

Since this is new the Newbies section I am going to ask. The EDM has a very limited website with very cryptic info for those people like myself who are new at this. Its sold as a kit so my question is how much soldering is involved. Based on the limited amount of info on the website I am a tad worried about the instructions that will come with one of these units. I am picturing IKEA instruction manual.

Only 3 solder points, takes 5 min including waiting for the solder iron to heat up.

Here is the assembly and manual for mine.

Attached files EDM-TX-LCD.pdf