Light-O-Rama Forums

Soldering kit gone wrong

dknahoolewa

dknahoolewa wrote:

what i mean is when i put the ohm meter on D1 & D2 the number continues to climb but D3 never registers anything. all my 220 resistors read .21.

i think i might be stuck sending it in.

If you're trying to test and measure resistances, or checking diodes in-circuit, you're going to get a variety of readings...none of which reliable for what you are trying to do as far as pinpointing a component issue.

I would give the board one more good look to see if you have anything installed wrong (the R17 advice very important..check that a second time..) but from all you describe, and as good as the forum members here are in helping to troubleshoot, I would suggest sending this one in.

But..that doesn't stop you from getting started on the second board. Take your time, and good luck!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dknahoolewa

• displaysinmotion_will

• David Rise

• texascop

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone. most of my first time project always have something go wrong. probably my fault but that never stopped me before.

Best advice....don't give up. Listen to the folks here.
I really did a number on my first board. Am going to end up sending it to LOR to see if they can fix it.

But the next 2 boards went very well and worked the first time out.

It's difficult to tell but, you may have the LED in backwards. I think the flat side is supposed to be on the left and you should see the white mark.

when you say flat side on the left. does that mean the part that looks like the triangle hooked to the lead?

The red LED case has a flat spot on the bottom edge. That side goes to the left I think. On the circuit board there is a heavy white line that marks it. I just finished building one last night and can't remember. I built four last year and just bought another. If the LED is backward, it won't light up. They do have polarity (+ and - leads). I can look at mine again tonight.

I used to live in Hurst by the way.

I just looked at the assembly instructions on line. The flat spot goes to the left. If you didn't know the red LED had to go in a certain way, you need to check it.

I would double check the orientation of the LED there is a flat spot on it that needs to be placed to the Left.

jldavis you are amazing.

we have a blinking LED...sweet now lets hope i didn't do anyother damage.

thank you to everyone...i had faith you all would figure it out.

So...were you able to connect and test via the hardware utility? Not 100% sure if a reversed LED shuts the unit down, or just doesn't give you a visual indication of status...would guess the latter, but not sure.

definitely take your time on the next kit...pay attention to each detail, component orientation, etc..

Goood catch Don!! I looked at the board pix and did -not- see the white outline either.. when it comes time for your eye test at the DMV, tell the agent at DMV I'd pass ya!

so i finally got the port set correctly. from my very limited knowledge and this being my first controller i'd say its working.
i opened the hardware utility and used the test button and attached lights to all 16 channels and they all work on/off, twinkle, shimmer.
i would have thought after what i put the processor through it wouldn't work. heck i even broke off one of the prongs and soldered it back on and it still works.

I have to give LOR a big thumbs up on this one.

dknahoolewa wrote:

so i finally got the port set correctly. from my very limited knowledge and this being my first controller i'd say its working.
i opened the hardware utility and used the test button and attached lights to all 16 channels and they all work on/off, twinkle, shimmer.
i would have thought after what i put the processor through it wouldn't work. heck i even broke off one of the prongs and soldered it back on and it still works.

I have to give LOR a big thumbs up on this one.

If you broke a pin off of the chip, soldered it back on, and you have a working board, man, you MUST be living right...:P:D

I'd suggest you retire that poor beaten processor chip to a nice PIC retirement home, and have LOR send you a new one...the last thing you want is for it to fail mid-show.

But more importantly, great to hear you got it working..congratulations!

Don't feel bad. This is my first year as well. I bought 5 units for a father and son learning experience, what an experience it has been. I actually soldered the microprocessor to the board as well, realized there was no way way to remove it without wrecking it, so I left it. Board works fine. 2 other boards, I had to send back to LOR last week......Just could not figure out what the problem was. All part of the learning experience. The problem is Christmas is getting closer and I am far from being ready

I have been getting Ramsey and similar kits for my daughter to build. We open the box and I take it all away except for the instructions. Read that I say, when your done we'll start.

Last year I built my first LOR. The scariest thing in the world is plugging that thing in for the first time. Held my breath, closed my eyes and pushed the plug in the outlet. No smoke, yay.

Congrats on the save.