Light-O-Rama Forums

Need A Little Help Soldering

Ralph A

I use a desktop lighted magnifying glass on a bendable stand that I got from Hobby Lobby. I love it because it focuses light right where you need it and the magnification is great. And the light fits in my soldering hand bag along with my soldering station and supplies.

Attached files 268148=14861-hobbymagnifierlighted3_5x.jpg

And you can never have enough braided Solder Remover (solder Wick). This stuff will save your butt when you need to remove stuff that is soldered to a board.

Just lay the wick down over the soldered area, apply heat to the wick, and watch the magic.

Sometimes you need to do it several times, and move to a fresh piece of wick.

then once you remove the component, you might need to do the hole also. Just repeat over the hole to remove the solder covering the hole on the board..

It helps to tin (put a little solder) on the tip before using the wick, it seems to suck up the solder better.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=solder+wick

While were at it...

Don't forget the solder flux. Solder has flux in it (which helps it transfer heat and flow easier) and once heated up, the flux burns off. So a little flux on the side goes a long way when desoldering and resoldering.

Wikipedia - In soldering of metals, flux serves a threefold purpose: it removes oxidation from the surfaces to be soldered, it seals out air thus preventing further oxidation, and by facilitating amalgamation improves wetting characteristics of the liquid solder. In high-temperature metal joining processes (welding, brazing and soldering), the primary purpose of flux is to prevent oxidation of the base and filler materials. Tin-lead solder (e.g.) attaches very well to copper, but poorly to the various oxides of copper, which form quickly at soldering temperatures. Flux is a substance which is nearly inert at room temperature, but which becomes strongly reducing at elevated temperatures, preventing the formation of metal oxides. Additionally, flux allows solder to flow easily on the working piece rather than forming beads as it would otherwise.