Light-O-Rama Forums

Large snowflakes

captainron19

evan.a wrote:

Dan C wrote:
I have a feeling that long of an arm with that many lights on them might bend a little on you. Have you thought of any ways to keep that from happening?

yes, I did. filling the tubes with spray foam.

MikeH wrote:
evan.a wrote:
here's what i've built.

12x12 steel plate. with 3/16 steel pieces as walls. than 1 1/2 female coupler. all shaped in an octagon shape. there is 4 hole drilled in it. top 2 are for hoisting and the bottom 2 are for the legs.

the pvc arms has a 1 1/2 male connector. each pvc arms stands about 15' tall with 1,000 m5 white. with 5 channels for the motions. the arms are built, but not with the lights yet.

octagon = 8 sides

pentagon = 5 sides

MikeH

wife blurted the shape. she said octagon. your right Mike, pentagon.

Oh ya---blame her!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• evan.a

• captainron19

• TJ Hvasta

I have been trying to find a snowflake solution as well... Unfortunately we don't have access to as many commercially available (holiday lighting) products here in Australia as in the US, although holiday lighting is getting bigger every year...

I looked at getting the kit from Holiday Coro, but would be too expensive to ship, and I wasn't sure if they worked with International buyers, so I made my own. First one was tedious, but after working through the first one others have been easy, and they look great IMO :P
Just played with different shapes until I was happy, all made from corflute and one only 70 ct LED bright white string.... Looks great lit up, but for some silly reason I don't have that pic...
Trebs

Attached files 261155=14483-IMG_0479.JPG

I built several of these out of 1x2 stock. They go on my roof. Half laped the joints - about 3' high. Very easy, inespensive project.

Attached files 261163=14485-Snowflake 012.jpg

I looked at the coro flakes.... abit pricey even with the ones with no lights but they also look like a lot of work and you actually have to use a partion of the shipping container to assemble the snow flakes.

I think I am going to take the PVC route. For those of you using PVC what diameter did you use? and any tips on securing to roof? I am going to lay them flat on a peaked roof

as for securing them, I use fishing line and a binder clip attached to a shingle. Works great when laying the prop flat on the roof.

Dan Ancona wrote:

as for securing them, I use fishing line and a binder clip attached to a shingle. Works great when laying the prop flat on the roof.

I like that idea.... did you run a line of fishing wire down the entire roof or do each one individually?

Fishing line is the one thing I wont have to go buy because I fish almost every day LOL

I drew this one up real quick with the thought of making it out of PVC but not sure if they make a 3-way adapter that i will need gonna check Home Depot today. I like the graphic Mark posted but that will take a ton of adapters and I plan on making 8 of these.

Attached files 261425=14495-snowflake.JPG

looks like you could might use one of these and just not use the top opening:

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-4-ways-side-outlet-Wyes

EDIT:

Then again...looks like you would need a fourth opening on the same plane as the other three for your short piece on the end..

Attached files 261431=14496-423-007FAB.jpg

Trebs wrote:

I have been trying to find a snowflake solution as well... Unfortunately we don't have access to as many commercially available (holiday lighting) products here in Australia as in the US, although holiday lighting is getting bigger every year...

I looked at getting the kit from Holiday Coro, but would be too expensive to ship, and I wasn't sure if they worked with International buyers, so I made my own. First one was tedious, but after working through the first one others have been easy, and they look great IMO :(
Just played with different shapes until I was happy, all made from corflute and one only 70 ct LED bright white string.... Looks great lit up, but for some silly reason I don't have that pic...
Trebs

Trebs I like the look of your coroflute ones.... I do signs and vinyl lettering on the side so i may have to look into that..... how did you secure lights to it?

captainron19 wrote:

I love these that I found but $179.00 .... REALLY !!????

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3360223

are you looking for a 4 foot snowflake?!?!?! :shock:

they did have some for $45

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3359129&prodFindSrc=prodCrossSell

If you have not already found what you need, and have access to a welder, we can create you a template with our sign plotter. I have made dolphins, seagulls, and other schulptures using this method. I typically used steel rebar for my schulptures. I have made a 10 foot 3D angel out of the same material. This is very strong, and yet fairly cheap. My wife has a sign shop and I have found using the plotter saves a lot of time and guess work. Our latest is going to be a 2 foot by 16 foot sign for the roof of the house. It is going to be made of Black Coroplastic, with the lights stuck in from the back side. I am going to be running 5 channels for the sign. It will say "Merry Christmas" and overlayed on that will say "keep Christ in Christmas". Anyway if we can help you plaese let us know. Email address is stellasdesigns@bellsouth.net if you need to send artwork. Thanks

How big of a snowflake are you talking?

I think you should do some more research on CORO. This year I have added 26 coro snowflakes. I have also built swags for my house out of Coro and a Christmas village out of Coro. By the time Christmas comes around I hope to have a toy factory, gingerbread men and elves.
If you buy 2x4 sheets of coro - the price is not bad at all. I can get them for your or like I said do some Googling.

If you want a 36 inch snowflake, lay the two pieces of coro on a table. Draw your snowflake and cut it out with a carpet knife. Two pass with the knife!!! One cut on your pencil mark, the other to cut through both sides. Putting the light holes in the core is even easier, simple use a drill bit that has a starter point. Once you have your snowflake completed screw the Coro to a pvc frame for support.

I used some 1 inch pvc to make a frame and mount my snowflakes to plastic netting mounted to the frame. Now I can just hoist and mount all 16 snowflakes and plug in the channels and I am good to go. I secure it with some conduit clips to the edge of the roof.

Ken's coro products are really fantastic and he's a great vendor.

As for the fishing line - just from the top of the element to a clip attached to a shingle.

I made mine from 2 tomato cages..

cut each ring at the midpoint, bend each leg flat/straight, butt the leg together, zip-tie(or weld), bend accordingly to get 6-sided flake, wrap with white garland, then wrap with 1-2 sets of minis or leds, hang from eaves, makes abt 6' snowflake..

Attached files 262695=14549-TomateCageSnowFlake1.jpg