• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgardner518

• Redbirdruss

• CKSedg

• David Rise

Wow I am loving some of those professionally printed signs - gonna put it on my to-do list for next year.

I have a vinyl cutter (not printer) so I cut my design out on translucent red vinyl and applied to yellow coroplast and mounted on sign made out of 2x4's that is backlit with a strand of white rope light.

Attached files 287442=15907-Lights_2009_03.jpg

beeiilll wrote:

Mine is an LED scolling message sign that I picked up off eBay a couple of years ago. The display is 10" x 36".
I can adjust fonts and sizes so that I can run one line or up to 3 lines on it at a time in various formats and styles of scrolling, wiping, etc.
I use it more for a countdown to the day of show starting and for posting my frequency and the hours that the show runs.
I made a "hand made" frequency sign to mount above it as I shut it off while the show is running and also people seemt to be too impatient to wait for the frequency info to scroll through.
The case it is in is just 1x6 pine with a sheet of plexiglass set in a channel in the front and plywood in the back. One end of the case will unscrew and come off so I can take the unit and/or the plexi out to clean them.
It has worked great for the last 2 years so far!

If I may ask, could you possibly provide more information (manufacturer, etc) on your LED scrolling sign? I'm looking into the possibility of adding one to the display next year and like the way it looks.

This year, I just bought a sign from CLS and popped red and blue lights into it, but next year I want to go a step further and get an LED scrolling sign. Can anyone else (who has one) provide information on what you have? I don't want to spend a lot of money but it's something I'm interested in for next year.

My sign is made with two panels of engraved plexiglass with LEDs illuminating from the sides of the panels. Not sure how to get the photos uploaded correctly to the forum, so I posted links below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B3OE1NP0Ljum9DFC5kDhKYtYruxwoFiydJKoCMCEVko?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XnB2ptuqCb_T1l5rhDEE2ItYruxwoFiydJKoCMCEVko?feat=directlink

tlh/Terry

Attached files 287781=15924-Tune To Sign One.JPG

pstigerfan wrote:

If I may ask, could you possibly provide more information (manufacturer, etc) on your LED scrolling sign?  I'm looking into the possibility of adding one to the display next year and like the way it looks.

This year, I just bought a sign from CLS and popped red and blue lights into it, but next year I want to go a step further and get an LED scrolling sign.  Can anyone else (who has one) provide information on what you have?  I don't want to spend a lot of money but it's something I'm interested in for next year.

Well the sign is 10 x 36 display area and I can't remember who the actual manufacturer is and can't look at the sign now since it is in the enclosure.
The eBay seller that I got it from is no longer on there so that won't help either. But there are other eBay sellers of these types of signs that you can look at such as:
http://stores.ebay.com/Mega-Sign-Inc?_rdc=1

The only thing that I will warn you of right now is that you can spend a lot of money on one of these. You can find smaller ones that are 1 line models for approx. $100 of so, but if you want to get into the multi line type or color ones you better be prepared to spend some serious cash.
Also if you do get one, make sure that it is visible in daylight! The one I use now is not visible in full daylight. It only really works best at night or somewhat on very overcast days. That was my bad when I bought it (too quick with that "Buy it Now" button).

I have one that I drool over all the time that is 60" wide and 40" tall that is full color, outdoor rated, and can show video that I really want to get my hands on. It sells for $2800!! So that is not going to happen for a bit to say the least.
The bigger reason that I want this other one is that I have a chance to use it for other events and such and can recover some of the cost of it over a few years so that makes it more of an investment for me.

Now on the plus side, it really makes a conversation piece for my display for the lights. I do have people stopping and sitting there reading it. It helps me describe things and showtimes so that they know exactly what to expect and when from the display. I also have a trivia thing that keeps peoples attention for that extra minute or two while they check things out.
I have used the sign to announce things to people while the show is running as well as to say hello to some people I know when they come by for the display.
Hope that helps.
Bill

Thanks for the information beeiill, it was very useful. I've been browsing on Ebay for one and found one I like for around $400, which is 16x48 or something like that. Since I have budgeted about $2,000 for next year's display (which may include an electrical upgrade), I may look at going to one of the local LED sign shops to see what they can offer me.

Like you, I may make the investment for a nicer (and more expensive sign) since I can use it for other purposes. It might be worth it.

Terry Hight wrote:

My sign is made with two panels of engraved plexiglass with LEDs illuminating from the sides of the panels. Not sure how to get the photos uploaded correctly to the forum, so I posted links below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B3OE1NP0Ljum9DFC5kDhKYtYruxwoFiydJKoCMCEVko?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XnB2ptuqCb_T1l5rhDEE2ItYruxwoFiydJKoCMCEVko?feat=directlink

tlh/Terry

WOW! Were did you get yours made! I love it! Was it expensive? Looks it.

I went the vinyl banner route last year. Because of my yard layout and obstructions, I couldn't find an ideal spot to put a traditional sign in the yard. The best unused spot, viewable from just about any angle was my garage door. I use small bungee cords and 3M hangers so the door is fully functional. It is lit with two floods on a dimmer switch and timer that comes on about 5 minutes before the display and goes off a few minutes after show shutdown. Cost was a little steep @ $125, but there can be no doubt what station a viewer is to use.

Attached files 287841=15932-IMG_2394.JPG

I will end up redoing my sign for next year.. It looks great during the day, but the red and white just doesn't cover it. I will change it to black and white as of now..

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Terry Hight wrote:

tlh/Terry

WOW! Were did you get yours made! I love it! Was it expensive? Looks it.

Thanks. My dad and I built it over the course of two months. I engraved the plexiglass with a Dremel and dad hand built the case (he is the reason it looks professional). It took five hours to string it with lights, but it was worth it. I just hope the station does not have to change any time soon!

Attached files 287888=15937-Tune To 2.JPG

Terry Hight wrote

I just hope the station does not have to change any time soon!

Yet, I found out 4 days before mine went live, that someone bought my station in October. I had to get permission from the new owner, to use it! I lucked out because their radio station was not up and running yet, they gave me written permission for this year. But I have to make the changes for next year. I'm so pissed!

pstigerfan wrote:

Thanks for the information beeiill, it was very useful. I've been browsing on Ebay for one and found one I like for around $400, which is 16x48 or something like that. Since I have budgeted about $2,000 for next year's display (which may include an electrical upgrade), I may look at going to one of the local LED sign shops to see what they can offer me.

Like you, I may make the investment for a nicer (and more expensive sign) since I can use it for other purposes. It might be worth it.

Your very welcome.
Another thing I thought of today and might as well share with you and anyone else who is thinking of using an LED sign like this is that they tend to get flaky at distances from the computer. I have mine on the end of a 100 foot piece of Cat5E and I had to use a USB booster:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1521&sku=29341
to allow the signal to reach the sign (although a 75 foot piece of Cat5E would be enough). Any distance over about 25 to 35 feet and the booster was needed with the sign I have now. But with the booster it works fine with no problem.

Yea, I still want to get a better sign as I would use it for video during the show, during the day to advertize the show (and my business) and maybe for the town I live in to use for town events and such during the summer when the tourists are here. This town only has about 900 full time residents but we go to over 5500 in the summer.

WOW .. some of these signs are unbelieveable !!!

Mine is an old school sign, painted plex, letter stickers, paint again, pull stickers, mount in a box, light it and VIOLA!!! a sign ..

And mine has served me well since 2004... but suddenly a Class D FM Translator station has popped up on my freq still not sure I have to change... but ...

Anyway.. I wonder if I could incorporate a Holiday Coro style with one of the printed styles so that Freq can be changed .. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... (sorry .. that grinding noise you hear is the wheels in my head turning... )

This is my sign, except it has white lettering all around, thanks to some suggestions of members. I have the frame built and the sign in it, but I still need to put in on the posts in the front yard. I hope it will be tomorrow or the next day.

Attached files 289673=16028-smpRADIOSIGN2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

He's my sign, and my QR sign. I had to move the QR closer to the road so you could scan it from your car. The QR is about 30" X 30" and 5' off the road.

The radio sign is 15' from the road, 8' wide and 2' tall. Very low tech, it's rope light attached to a piece of privacy fence. I cut an 6 foot fence down to 4 feet. I used to have this sign about 100' back and people were still saying that they didn't know about the radio station or the music. So I moved it up and haven't heard anything about not seeing it this year.

The QR sign is getting a lot of use, about 80% of my web traffic this year has come from that sign. Plus my web traffic is up about 60%.

Attached files 297773=16453-IMG_20111229_182350.jpg

kcny wrote:

Here's my sign:

Real estate holder, white corrugated insert and 3" letters/numbers (all from Lowes).

Outlined with one string of minis and attached reflective markers on the side.  Also using a flood light to help illuminate.

Thats about all I have just a painted sign with tune to 99.1fm. I thought of spending money on a really nice sign. Then I thought what if a station moved in and I had to change. Plus people are not here to see the sign.