Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor speakers

David Rise

LORi P wrote:

Caution: Install the loudspeakers in compliance with local building and electrical codes.

The technical data sheet includes this:

MODEL 32SE SPEAKER VERSIONS
Active equalization
> 70V (1W, 2W, 4W, 8W, 16W, 32W taps)
> 100V (1W, 2W, 4W, 8W, 16W, 32W taps)
Passive equalization
>6 Ω, 32W, no transformer

This says that these speakers have the same model number for the 3 different versions. The version is not specified in the eBay auction, so I sent a message to the seller.

The 70V or 100V versions of these speakers are used in a constant voltage speaker system, where dangerous voltages are present when audio is playing. Thus, the "CYA" caution about electrical codes.

Which reminds me: My home-brew speaker system I posted above uses transformers to change the impedance from 8Ω to 600Ω. If my amplifier is putting out full power (1.5 Watts per channel), the voltage can be calculated using V = sqrt(P * R) = 30V. This is safe.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Steven

• David Rise

• Jim Saul

Steven wrote:

the voltage can be calculated using V = sqrt(P * R) = 30V. This is safe.

I thought ANY voltage could be potentially fatal..depending on the circumstances...

or is this just another urban legend?

jimswinder wrote:

I thought ANY voltage could be potentially fatal..depending on the circumstances...

or is this just another urban legend?

It depends on many factors, including the resistance of human skin (which depends on moisture and salt levels), resistance of your internals, location of shock (very important!), and frequency. I have read that the general guideline is somewhere from 42V to 50V.

It's kind of like asking: "At what height is a fall fatal?" That depends on where you land. If you fall from your roof onto your driveway face down you'll be in bad shape, but if you fall from the same height while working on your mega tree onto your moist lawn on your back, you'll probably be OK.

Steven wrote:

but if you fall from the same height while working on your mega tree onto your moist lawn on your back, you'll probably be OK.

I'll be sure to remember to pee while I am up on the ladder then!! :P

jimswinder wrote:

Steven wrote:
but if you fall from the same height while working on your mega tree onto your moist lawn on your back, you'll probably be OK.

you mean empty your bag?? :):P

Arnoldc wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Steven wrote:

you mean empty your bag?? :):P

Attached files 258748=14290-ladder.JPG

Computer speakers found curb side. :P No weather protection - good 3 yrs running. Run a Y off my laptop - one end to the transmitter one end to the speakers. Also have an old radio on the other end of the yard. Since my power all goes out in the yard, no issues with the static.

I bought these Insignia Indoor/Outdoor speakers a couple years ago off an E-bay online store. Cost me $19.95 and worked great when used with an FM Radio receiver feeding them.

Attached files 259133=14320-Indoor-Outdoor_Speakers_by_Insignia.jpg

I purchased a pair of Yamaha aw-ns350's and they rock. They are outdoor proof speakers and have excellent sound quality and lots of nice bass which most speakers lack.:cool:

I dont use them for Christmas/Halloween but I have a pair of Rock speakers on the patio that is powered by a 100w amp. Tunes sound real good around the fire and a beer. But for the show unveil night, i have two 200w power PA speakers that i use. No that ROCKS!