Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor speakers

David Rise

Ok everyone. Let's see what you use for outdoor speakers. Pictures if you got them. I was looking at rock speakers, a set of wireless, or outdoor ceiling speakers that I could mount on a piece of plywood. Even thought about a cheap little radio and place it in a wood box.

Just need to get a good idea of what would be best before I spend more money and then have to return them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Steven

• David Rise

• Jim Saul

I use a pair of Polk Atrium 4 speakers...about $150 for a pair...even cheaper on eBay, which is where I got mine.

tested them side by side with some BOSE speakers..and there was no comparison...in sound AND in price...

very easy to mount as they come with mounts

don't have pics of them in my display, but this is what they look like...

also come in white...

I have almost as many people walk-up to the display as drive by (which is a LOT), so I felt I needed some good speakers...

Attached files 257568=14181-polk.jpg

On the weekends I pull out the dewalt radio / charger and put it on, but no one ever hears it. Avg temp in December is 12.8 so to try and blast over the running motor and heater in the car has never worked for me. Before I had the FM transmitter no one knew that there was music.

I use a pair of house stereo speakers i bought at a garage sale for $5.I just put them in a garbage bag.They were buried in the snow a few times last year and still look and work great.

I use tow old computer speakers in a garbage bag. They are white and the need there own power supply, the are not not the best but work pretty good for my Halloween show and at Christmas I use a radio transmitter.

I use these:
http://wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=60

P-BICRTRV442W-Medium.jpg

They mount nicely to the underside of my porch ceiling. However, they do require an amplifier, which I have sitting in my basement next to the ShowTime Director DC-MP3.

I take them down when I take my lights down, but leave the brackets up (they're white, my porch is white, can hardly notice them)

DonFL wrote:

I'm looking at using wireless speakers, looking at a couple pairs on ebay, both in the 100-150 dollar range...still shopping around, haven't made a decision...

If I am not mistaken, even with most wireless speakers you need to run power to them....

just a thought if you were not wanting to run speaker cable...

Guest Don Gillespie

I use the Bose speakers mounted under my soffit line close to the house protected against the wheather, tried cheaper ones said what the hay might as well get good ones.

I use them a lot in the summer as we sit on our deck, that way instead of carying on a conversation with my wife I can pretend to be listening to her but actually I am listening to the music :D LOL

jimswinder wrote:

If you buy a speaker with a built-in transformer (search for "speaker transformer" on Google or eBay), and put transformers on your receiver/amplifier, then you can run the speaker audio signal over one of the unused pairs of the Cat5 cable that's used for your LOR network.

I've been doing it this way for 4 years and it works great. The trees where the speakers are mounted are 50 feet from the garage where the show computer is located. I have controllers on these same trees. The Cat5 cable that goes from the garage to the trees carries both the LOR network and the speaker audio.

You could hook up the 8Ω speaker directly to the Cat5 cable, but there will be much signal lost, and if you turn the volume up high enough, it will interfere with the LOR network.

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:
I'm looking at using wireless speakers, looking at a couple pairs on ebay, both in the 100-150 dollar range...still shopping around, haven't made a decision...

If I am not mistaken, even with most wireless speakers you need to run power to them....

Yea, thats correct. I've looked at some battery powered wireless speakers (not crazy about that, obvious reasons), and thats one of the decision points driven by placement, etc. I may still go with a wired pair..tbd.

DonFL wrote:

Yea, thats correct. I've looked at some battery powered wireless speakers (not crazy about that, obvious reasons), and thats one of the decision points driven by placement, etc. I may still go with a wired pair..tbd.

speaker cable is pretty cheap....

Last year I bought the cheapest set of powered computer speakers I could fine. I think they were $8.00 so I didn't care if they were stolen although I'd have a video recording of the theft. Cheap audio cable connected them to the show PC.

Since they were going to sit at the edge of my property and a public sidewalk, the wattage just needed to be high enough to be heard but low enough to not cause my neighbors headaches. I use a FM transmitter so the sound was just for people out of their cars or walking by.

Hearing the music all night long during the shows wasn't desired so I used a lamp socket AC outlet convertor connected to an inexpensive outdoor motion activated lamp holder mounted to some scrap wood. The timer was set to 5 minutes. When someone walked by, the music would come on and continued as long as they stayed around. Once they left, the music stopped.

I covered the whole contraption with a white trash bag which it really didn't need since it was under a bush, behind my picket fence.

Collectively, I think I spent less than $30 on the whole setup.

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:

speaker cable is pretty cheap....
Not a cost issue...

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

I covered the whole contraption with a white trash bag which it really didn't need since it was under a bush, behind my picket fence.

I would have thought the trash bag was needed to keep moisture out of the speaker and electronics?

Since I'm broadcasting on FM anyway, I put two cheap boom boxes on either side of my yard hidden in the bushes. It's not great quality, but I only play it loud enough for people on the side walk to hear. Low enough that the neighbors can't hear it.

One thing I learned last year (my first year) is that I have to put the boom boxes on a timer to shut off before the show ends. Otherwise the radios blar out static, which at that volume *IS* loud enough for the neighbors to hear.