Light-O-Rama Forums

I think our town is anti-LOR... Grrrr!

BrownOut

I think I favor Dave's approach regarding resisting their attempt to regulate how you celebrate a religious holiday. I'm going to have the exact same type of issue in my sleepy little City this year (via their Special Events Ordinance that was enacted a couple months ago) and that's the approach I'm going to use. I respect your decision how to proceed Brownie, but I'm guessing the odrinance you cite was designed to control business lighting and was never intended to affect residential holiday displays. In my case I'm not even going to apply for a permit because that acknowledges their right to control my religious celebration.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrownOut

• rescue_653

• Steve Constantino

• David Rise

evan.a wrote:

think you need to jump to 103.20

The problem is this code was not written for residential use. The closest to residential use in this code is the restrictions of street lighting when designing a new subdivision.

I have some of the info needed. My star downtown is not allowed. My star at my house and flashing lights is allowed. My radio sign can be changed slightly to fit residential rules, but unless there is a problem, don't worry about it. My projector screen is too big IF considered a sign. She is checking further on video displays. They are not listed as a sign that she could find so far. I think when I spoke to the town this morning and went back an forth about my house vs the downtown area where some of were, things got confused.

I didn't mean to cause a problem and get everyone looking for rules in the town book. I should have just waited for calls back and not started a thread. Our town can be very picky on some things like dead cars in your yard and when your trash can should be moved on trash day. I think I was just upset about answers I was given and it most likely me not asking correctly.

evan.a wrote:

if it wasn't for residential use. than why the visit???

Well Brownout kind of answered that question and I see where some of the issue stemed from. But if this had been his house instead of downtown sometimes some of the inspectors can get a little over zealous and step over there jurisdiction. I have seen this on other things not related to lights and you have to correct them.I even had this problem when building my house and the inspector tried preaching fire safety to me on how a code was written on a fire place mantel wrong answer. But glad this seems to have been straightened out.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end...the sign is so visitors can listen on radio instead of blaring speaker to drive neighbors crazy? I mean...how many times can you listen to Wizards of Winter without breaking?? :)

Show them a video...say "It's for the Children!" ;)

Guest Don Gillespie

Jeff Millard wrote:

Logan,

Build a donation box. Pick a charity. Collect money for that Charity. Call the news media and tell them the planning board has shut down your attempt to support that Charity by interfering with your Christmas Display. Sit back, and watch the fireworks.

Jeff

And on top of what Jeff said invite the mayor and the city councillors over for the inagural light up let the mayor and the person involved with the charity be the ones to start the show,

I have spoke to the neighbors around me and they all seem to like the idea. I need to think and research more before I post. Is it time for winter lights yet??

good god i just looked at the pdf of black mountains codes somebody did their home work i need to call my realtor and stop that purchase of my summer placeTemporary outdoor lighting - the specific illumination of an outdoor area of an object by any manmade device located outdoors that produces light by any means for a period of less than 7 days, with at least 180 days passing before being used again.

103.34 Prohibitions
1. Laser Source Light – The use of laser source light or any similar high intensity light for outdoor advertising or entertainment is prohibited.
2. Searchlights – The operation of searchlights for advertising purposes is prohibited.
3. Building Facade Lighting – Floodlights, spotlights, or any other similar lighting shall not be used to illuminate buildings or other site features unless approved as an integral architectural element on the development plan. On-site lighting may be used to accent architectural elements but not used to illuminate entire portions of building(s) or sign(s). Where accent lighting is used, the maximum illumination on any vertical surface or angular roof surface shall not exceed 5.0 average maintained footcandles. Building façade and accent lighting will not be approved unless the light fixtures are carefully selected, located, aimed, and shielded so that light is directed only onto the building facade and spillover light is minimized.
4. Awning and Canopy Lighting - Awnings and canopies used for building accents over doors, windows, etc. shall not be internally lit (i.e., from underneath or behind).
5. Flashing Lights - Lights that flash, move, revolve, rotate, scintillate, blink, flicker, vary in intensity or color, or use intermittent electrical pulsation are prohibited.

Guest wbottomley

I would do what Jeff Millard said. Set all of it up and call The Asheville Citizen Times, WLOS, & WYFF. Or better than that... call the Charlotte Observer, WSOC, WBTV, & WCNC. Then we can get the feed at my station in Winston-Salem and run it there.

The city is looking at a PR nightmare.

Guest Don Gillespie

Jeff Millard wrote:

PS

Don Gillespie wrote:
Millard you should recieve a prize for the best avatars every other day I kill myself from laughing so hard, however this latest avatar is one of your classics keep them coming buddy

Thanks... New one for ya. Had to copy this from the George Thread Dan locked...:X

LOL ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :):D

BrownOut wrote:

..... The 4th of July star I had up seems to have upset many people this last week.....

Just how big was your star? Got any pictures?

BrownOut wrote:

The CCRs I have are going to be much easier to sequence than I thought. Simply open the LOR hardware test utility and set a static brightness/color.

An additional approach is to bring up how static lights utilize more electricity than blinking/scintillating/pulsating (etc.) lights. This is promoting a non-environmentally friendly practice.

Could also just take a Holdman approach and put a Grinch inflatable in the yard with a sign (that meets regulations) indicating why the display is no longer animated.

Any idea on who tipped them off? Seems that somebody would had to have complained for them to make a big deal about it? Might want to make sure you win the favor of that individual or else they will just continue to complain and the city will be "forced" to be strict about the rules.

rodman1369 wrote:

I mean...how many times can you listen to Wizards of Winter without breaking?? :)

One hundred and seventy three point five times. That's it!:)

Steve Constantino wrote:

DownTown wrote:
Steve Constantino wrote:
What a bunch of BS. If it was me I would keep up the lights and just pay the fine for each day the display is on.

Steve

Wow Steve,  you must be made of money! Assuming that his lights would be on from Dec 1st to the 31st, he'd have $1550 to pay in fines, not including any court costs or fees. Too rich for my blood.

Well it would not be the best use of money, but sometimes you need to do somthing like that just to make a point.

Steve

The point would be: You would be giving your hard earned money to idiots....

However I give my hard earned money to idiots every year I pay my taxes.:P

[Part 96.02-
(B) Gong or Siren. The use of any gong or siren upon any vehicle other than police, fire, ambulance or other emergency vehicles.]

What?!?! I just added a 36" gong to my Corolla.

wbottomley wrote:

I would do what Jeff Millard said. Set all of it up and call The Asheville Citizen Times, WLOS, & WYFF. Or better than that... call the Charlotte Observer, WSOC, WBTV, & WCNC. Then we can get the feed at my station in Winston-Salem and run it there.

The city is looking at a PR nightmare.

William is The Man here - "never work so hard as to get you PR contacts involved in your challenge - they can do more for you in a 30 second spot than you can do in a month"!

BrownOut wrote:

Zone UR8. Sounds like my sign and video screen are going to be the only issue. There are limits to the amount of light pollution allowed in the county but they have has no reported problems. There are special rules for property signs verses services signs- physical size should be the only problem.

If your zoned UR8 then I don't believe that this section applies to you at all as zone UR8 is not listed anywhere in section 103.

If it was me I'd go to the city planing department and ask them point blank:

1) How this section covers you when Zone UR8 is not listed, take a copy with your, and that their reply has to be in writing and signed by the city attorney. Make this request in writing even if you hand it to them but make them sign your copy as proof of delivery. If you don't want to confront them then send it via certified mail.

2) Inform them that if they can't provide you with a legal document that shows this applies to Zone UR8 then they should leave you alone and if they don't they'll be hearing from your attorney.

I think once they see that your not going to take this lying down and they they can't show it applies to Zone UR8 they will leave you alone.