Light-O-Rama Forums

I think our town is anti-LOR... Grrrr!

BrownOut

This week I got a visit from the town building inspector with a warning that I will be fined $50 a day for each violation of lighting rules. I also found out my radio yard sign and projector screen are prohibited, even in the residential area I am in. The 4th of July star I had up seems to have upset many people this last week. I have 28,000 LEDs for this year- I can use some- but they can't flash.

Attached files 251909=13696-photo 1.JPG

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrownOut

• rescue_653

• Steve Constantino

• David Rise

They may be able to overlook some of the violations if approved- but it doesn't sound like for more than about a week during the holiday season.

Attached files 251910=13697-photo 2.JPG

What a bunch of BS. If it was me I would keep up the lights and just pay the fine for each day the display is on.

Steve

The CCRs I have are going to be much easier to sequence than I thought. Simply open the LOR hardware test utility and set a static brightness/color.

Hence why I will never live inside of the city limits! I will not answer to a group of corrupt egotistical politicians who think they can control everyone in the city.

that sucks, how big is the town? you should start a petition, see if you can get the local TV/ radio / new paper involved, then present the petition to the city council.

Steve Constantino wrote:

What a bunch of BS. If it was me I would keep up the lights and just pay the fine for each day the display is on.

Steve

Wow Steve, you must be made of money! Assuming that his lights would be on from Dec 1st to the 31st, he'd have $1550 to pay in fines, not including any court costs or fees. Too rich for my blood.

As for the laser prohibition, you already can't have outdoor laser displays without FDA and FAA permits.

Flashing lights prohibited? That's pretty draconian. I wonder if you have any legal recourse, as it violates your right to celebrate your religious holiday as you normally would...

Good luck.

D.T.

I will apply for a permit as requested by the planning board. We will see how it goes. I don't want to cause more problems if it can be avoided.

Rule #1 doesn't apply here unless you're using lasers.

Is this a business or are you in a HOA? Never heard any rules like this for a residential area.

Just pay a visit to town council and explain how many smiles you bring to the people each year. Then explain any charities you might support. Then ask for permission to do you show in December and explain how it'll be taken down after, etc.

If that doesn't work (suspect it will), then invite the news to come down ... and town would love being known as grinchville.

Just did a quick search for my city ordanances. Didn't find anything concerning lighting of any kind. WHEW!

DownTown wrote:

Steve Constantino wrote:

Steve

Wow Steve, you must be made of money! Assuming that his lights would be on from Dec 1st to the 31st, he'd have $1550 to pay in fines, not including any court costs or fees. Too rich for my blood.

Well it would not be the best use of money, but sometimes you need to do somthing like that just to make a point.

Steve

Thats amazing..i would have expected it from an HOA, but a town ordinance that says, essentially, any Christmas lights but must be "full on" all the time?

Does it explictly say it applies to residential dwellings? Sounds more like a set of rules they would throw at commercial establishments.

They about have it covered though..everything from "scintillate", to "intermittent electrical pulsation"...the city council/attorney who wrote that sound like some real fun people.

I agree with taybrnn..seems like news media would love this..especially if you are doing any kind of charitable donations with the display.

Worst case though, good to see Steve has offered to pay your fines if it comes down to that being your only choice...:P:D

DonFL wrote:

They about have it covered though..everything from "scintillate", to "intermittent electrical pulsation"...

Don't forget color changing. That must be new for the CCBs and CCFs.

I'm waiting for a call back from the town inspector. The lady I spoke to at planning and development dept seems to think that this does affect residential property. I could not find in the rule book where it states commercial vs residential. Just says in city limits.

They are having trouble understanding the rules of 103.02. I have spoke to them about the video screen and signs too. I should know soon.

Zone UR8. Sounds like my sign and video screen are going to be the only issue. There are limits to the amount of light pollution allowed in the county but they have has no reported problems. There are special rules for property signs verses services signs- physical size should be the only problem.

The purpose of this chapter is to develop procedures for the regulation and monitoring of outdoor lighting in those areas currently zoned C-1, C-2, C-3, I-1, I-2, ICD, O-I, TND and MU

If your zoning is close to what it is in Winston Salem these should be Commercial, Industrial, Multi Use but Im not sure what TND is. residential is usually listed as RS and that is not listed in there listing so I truley believe the inspector may be overstepping there boundaries.