Light-O-Rama Forums

daisy chaining controllers

Linda

jimswinder wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Don wrote:
Website is new. Specs in the documentation haven't' changed.

If it's me, I change the website.

actually, you posted what I was looking for!!! (about the networks)

"Up to 240 controllers (3,840 channels) in a network"

and can't LOR handle 16 networks? (not sure about that number though)

so, wouldn't that be over 3000 controllers?
found this post from Dan himself...

looks like a max of 4 networks (don't know where I came up with 16)

That is correct. With S2 you have 4 networks and each can have 240 controllers so you can have up to 15,360 channels. We have never tested this many channels. The most I know of in the real world is 1,300 channels with S2 and about 900 channels with LOR I. With S2 I think a real world display would be limited to about 4000 channels.

This is the thread the quote came from:

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=16237&forum_id=25&highlight=networks
Gezzz Jim i'm sure its been said before but you are definitely the man, Thanks for all your input its very helpful

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• Linda

• caniac

• Don

Top Posters In This Topic

Dale J wrote:

Gezzz Jim i'm sure its been said before but you are definitely the man, Thanks for all your input its very helpful

there are LOTS more people with a LOT more knowledge than I will ever have here on this forum...

I just seem to have more free time than others to search out the answers...

and SOMETIMES I actually find the right answer!!!

yes you do, and yes there is a lot of great help out there thanks again for being around

brian.t.lowery wrote:

3,840 controllers actually. But what kind of psychotic person would want that many.....oh, yeah...us
probably anyone and everyone on here if we had the deep pockets!!

I'm not so sure. I don't think even jim has that kind of time. Now if you got ten or so experienced guys with nothing else to work on all year.....

And how big of a display would that be? Could you imagine the light count?

brian.t.lowery wrote:

I'm not so sure. I don't think even jim has that kind of time. Now if you got ten or so experienced guys with nothing else to work on all year.....

And how big of a display would that be? Could you imagine the light count?
something tells me if you gave Jim all those controllers with 61,000 strands of LED's (50ft lengths) and said "Go forth young man and sequence" - I don't think he would disappoint and they would most like all get used.

jimswinder wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Don wrote:
Website is new. Specs in the documentation haven't' changed.

If it's me, I change the website.

actually, you posted what I was looking for!!!  (about the networks)

"Up to 240 controllers (3,840 channels) in a network"

and can't LOR handle 16 networks? (not sure about that number though)

so, wouldn't that be over 3000 controllers?
found this post from Dan himself...

looks like a max of 4 networks (don't know where I came up with 16)

That is correct. With S2 you have 4 networks and each can have 240 controllers so you can have up to 15,360 channels. We have never tested this many channels. The most I know of in the real world is 1,300 channels with S2 and about 900 channels with LOR I.   With S2 I think a real world display would be limited to about 4000 channels.

This is the thread the quote came from:

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=16237&forum_id=25&highlight=networks

You were right the first time Jim. Wow, that felt wrong to type...
:D
It may not be updated in the manual, but I can put up to 16 networks in my S2.

rstately wrote:

You were right the first time Jim. Wow, that felt wrong to type...
:D

LOL...I feel your "pain"... :D

As has been pointed out already, the number of networks is now 16. It was raised to 16 in the 2.9.x versions of software. (Which was released late in 2010.)

jimswinder wrote:

Don wrote:
According the specifications, about 240.
I found this on their website:

The Light-O-Rama ShowTime Pro or ShowTime PC controllers include special effects such as simple on/off, intensities, smooth fading, twinkling, shimmering. Up to 200 controllers (each handling 16 unique electrical circuits) can be daisy chained on the LOR network giving you the ability to control over 3,200 channels

I have got to ask! Who is the current official LOR user, with the most controllers to date?

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I have got to ask! Who is the current official LOR user, with the most controllers to date?

what makes one an "official LOR user"? LOL

I know I don't have the most, but I am up tp 35 controllers this year...and if/when the CCB's come out, probably 19 strings of those...so do we count the controllers on CCB's and CCR's too??

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Don wrote:
According the specifications, about 240.
I found this on their website:

The Light-O-Rama ShowTime Pro or ShowTime PC controllers include special effects such as simple on/off, intensities, smooth fading, twinkling, shimmering.  Up to 200 controllers (each handling 16 unique electrical circuits) can be daisy chained on the LOR network giving you the ability to control over 3,200 channels

I would think this guy?
http://www.LightORama.com/Videos/2009Category7LargeWinner.mov

rstately wrote:

he actually has 4 different locations...

http://www.shadrackchristmas.com/

His website says this location has over 1600 channels:

There are over sixteen hundred individual and unique channels simultaneously directing this orchestra of lights

Guest wbottomley

Pounce if you want... but the number channels are subjective. I think it's the number of controllers.

As far as RGB goes, a set standard has not been established by anyone vendor or person.

But... the typical person watching does not care. :]

Mountainwxman wrote:

.As far as RGB goes, a set standard has not been established by anyone vendor or person.

then let's you and I set the standard...each CCR and/or 50 Light CCB counts as a controller...

Mountainwxman wrote:

I believe RGB devices need to be set in their own category. Technically, it's not a controller but it is.

then what would you suggest?

jimswinder wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
.As far as RGB goes, a set standard has not been established by anyone vendor or person.

then let's you and I set the standard...each CCR and/or 50 Light CCB counts as a controller...

Then where does DMX fall into line?