Light-O-Rama Forums

this is for the newbies

james campbell

Well, today is may 30, 2011. I'll be running my spiral tree ALL NIGHT! It may not be much, but the Wife likes, and I'm kinda happy with it too. It's not perfect, just tied in at the top and bottom, for testing. The neatest thing is I can tip the whole thing over to attach the lights! You can see it here at testraub.us Yard Cameras. Backyard cam, user and password are "guest". Let me know what you think :P

Tom Straub

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rise

• caniac

• james campbell

• jimswinder

Nice Tom. Hey does TrendNet charge anything for linking your cameras through them? And how easy is it to link any type of webcam to their site?

I have an old webcam I need to find that I could possibly set up to do something like that(only it's fixed, doesn't move).

Gonna have to come back during daylight hours to catch a glimpse of your magnificent pond! From the main page, looks very nice. Just can't see it too well after dark, even with nightmode on. I tried. LOL

Interesting the way you can also move the camera around at various angles to get a view of everything. Very interesting and I'd like to know more how you did all that with the cameras and web linking.

testraub wrote:

You can see it here at testraub.us Yard Cameras. Backyard cam, user and password are "guest". Let me know what you think :)

Tom Straub

Haha, I feel like that creepy neighbor peering over/through the fence because I'm nosy
and have nothing better to do with my day but spy on my neighbors. ;)

I love the tree, the blue/red go better together than I expected, how tall is it?

Orville wrote:

Nice Tom.    Hey does TrendNet charge anything for linking your cameras through them?    And how easy is it to link any type of webcam to their site?

Nope, the cam is on my home network and has a IP address on it that is linked thru DynDNS.org. There is a link to the cam I have on the Yard Cams page.

I have an old webcam I need to find that I could possibly set up to do something like that(only it's fixed, doesn't move).

WebcamXP software may help get that old cam on-line http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx

Gonna have to come back during daylight hours to catch a glimpse of your magnificent pond!  From the main page, looks very nice.  Just can't see it too well after dark, even with nightmode on.  I tried. LOL

The "Nightmode" isn't very good ;)

Interesting the way you can also move the camera around at various angles to get a view of everything.   Very interesting and I'd like to know more how you did all that with the cameras and web linking.

Bought the cam a couple years ago from provantage. Had them up and running in a few hours after installing them. Trendnet tech support was very helpful.

If you want more info, feel free to call me 571-238-8056

omathys2 wrote:

testraub wrote: 
You can see it here at testraub.us Yard Cameras. Backyard cam, user and password are "guest". Let me know what you think :)

Tom Straub

Haha, I feel like that creepy neighbor peering over/through the fence because I'm nosy
and have nothing better to do with my day but spy on my neighbors. ;)

Yeah, the Wife has a peice of duct tape on the cam housing so no one can watch her on the deck. :)

I love the tree, the blue/red go better together than I expected, how tall is it?

15 foot tall, 6 foot base. Thinking of adding a set of green when it goes up for the show.

• 2 weeks later...

2 sequences complete.

In between working on my sequences. I'm placing color zip ties the end of my light strings, so I can keep them all straight. Then tieing the colors together in sections. There's plenty of lights, so it's time consuming.

The RV outlet is being installed tomorrow, along with 2 other 15amp outlets. Then I get to test my portable sub panel....YIPPEE!

Another 1st year "newb" here too, here is my story.

I've had static dislpays for 20+ years with about 7,000 lights until this past year when I used 2 The Light and Sounds of Christmas and was not overly happy with the outcome as I could not controll the sequences and needed alot more outputs. During my research I ran across LOR and after reading through this forum and how helpful the members are, I decided LOR is it for me.

I explained my new found interest to my wife and she said, sure looks nice, go for it :D

So with the green light, I planned on starting small with just 6 controllers doing 8 mini trees, a mega tree and other house lights in just 2 colors. This quickly changed when I mentioned and showed her some vidoes from the site......I should have not done that as she then watched more videos and said "I want that for Christmas" :D

This all occurred last November, so I've had plenty of time to plan out my display and of course what new stuff I need to order and was well on my way until the 1st week of May, when she asked what display I was doing for the 4th and for Halloween :shock:

For sequences and time considerations, I'm using some from WowLights and others that have been shared, so a big thank you to all for sharing. Just tweaking these a bit to meet my needs and will call it good for this year's shows as I learn sequencing.

Well, so much for starting small, now need 13 controllers for 4 colors, although I'm not complaining at all :)

Greg Blauert wrote:

Well, so much for starting small, now need 13 controllers for 4 colors, although I'm not complaining at all :D

Welcome to the fray!!!

Guess I won't be the only one in the greater Seattle area any more!!!

I grew up in the Shoreline area (before it was Shoreline) all my school years...went to Shorecrest (GO SCOTS!!)

Can't wait to see the "competition"!!!

Welcome Greg! My first year also.
I just made another major purchase of lights. Thanks to the great folks at Christmas Designers.
All I need now are green, blue, red icicle lights.

Sequencing is coming along. As I was showing one sequence to a friend, I noticed an error...pretty big one at that.
He didn't notice, but I sure did.

ARGH!!!!!!!!

purchased a laptop transfered all documents ,kinda a pain but not to bad. now our pc will be free to use during the holidays

welcome greg your wife sounds like our kind of woman does she have any sisters lol just joking

t purser wrote:

welcome greg your wife sounds like our kind of woman does she have any sisters lol just joking

Speak for yourself!
So really, does she? Lol welcome to the madness!

Arnoldc wrote:

t purser wrote:

Speak for yourself!
So really, does she? Lol welcome to the madness!

Thanks guys and sorry but she does not have any sisters :X

Just finished my first controller and it worked great!!! i have one more to go!!! i have all my sequences done (six of them) i have the (7) window frames built out of pvc pipe...three tomato cages done for mini trees but still have a long way to go. this being my first year doing LOR i started early and want to be ready by nov 24th

later:)

Just got a quote to install the power outlets needed in my garage... :shock: $880! Seems a bit steep to me. $400 of it is labor. Yikes!

Nurples wrote:

Just got a quote to install the power outlets needed in my garage... :shock: $880! Seems a bit steep to me. $400 of it is labor. Yikes!
that is pretty much the going rate, had two dedicated put on the right side of my house plus two on the left. the left required running conduit to where I wanted the outlets. each side has it's own breaker. with all the power i was pulling last Christmas I didn't trip a breaker once so for me it was worth it. Also everything my guy does is up to code, got cheaper quotes but I have always liked this guy's attention to detail on other things he has done for us. Where is your breaker box located?

Well, he will be installing a 100amp sub panel will be in the garage with outlets on a portable stand (stand = panel that is attached to the wall). He quoted $173.60 me on 56 feet ($3.10 per foot) for the 100 Amp 4 wire grounded service wire from the main box to the sub box. Then another $112 to install the wire. :shock:

Then, $160 to build the panel that attaches to the wall in the garage.... This must be one hell of a panel. I think he's planning on building a framed wall so that everything will be flush mounted, not sure. Going to get clarification on that. $160 seems a bit much when all I really want is everything screwed to a sheet of ply wood. :)

I wanted the panel to be removable because I don't currently own the house I'm living in. I might own it someday, but being military makes it hard to buy a house. :)

Guest Don Gillespie

Nurples wrote:

Well, he will be installing a 100amp sub panel will be in the garage with outlets on a portable stand (stand = panel that is attached to the wall). He quoted $173.60 me on 56 feet ($3.10 per foot) for the 100 Amp 4 wire grounded service wire from the main box to the sub box. Then another $112 to install the wire. :shock:

Then, $160 to build the panel that attaches to the wall in the garage.... This must be one hell of a panel. I think he's planning on building a framed wall so that everything will be flush mounted, not sure. Going to get clarification on that. $160 seems a bit much when all I really want is everything screwed to a sheet of ply wood. :) Make sure you ask him what he is building you, a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood is around 30 bucks

I wanted the panel to be removable because I don't currently own the house I'm living in. I might own it someday, but being military makes it hard to buy a house. :)this is a good idea

$548 for an 50amp RV outlet to run my portable panel and then 2 extra dedicated 15amp outlets.

David Rise wrote:

$548 for an 50amp RV outlet to run my portable panel and then 2 extra dedicated 15amp outlets.

But did your price include the panel and outlets? Mine includes the panel and 7 dedicated 20amp outlets... Guess it's a decent price... :)