Light-O-Rama Forums

this is for the newbies

james campbell

Our first year was fun as well. Lots of visitors. Learned a lot.

Major changes for this year. Going from 64 channels to about 220. I have last years sequences translated into this year's channel layout, but no new capabilities or songs integrated yet. Got one new major prop built. 24 mini trees stripped of their incans in prep for 2-color LEDs this year. I feel like I'm behind the curve. Need to get to work, especially on sequencing. Only about 235 days til lights on. :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rise

• caniac

• james campbell

• jimswinder

Got all the c6's i need for my spiral/mega tree with 64 channels of mega and 16 channels of spiral. Finished the 4 Maggie Tree's. Newspaper caught us working and interviewed us already.. LOL We did not let the cat out the bag..

I've got 20 songs sequenced so I think I'm good there. Bought the extra controllers at the sale so will be up to 96 channels the first year out for me. I've not gotten into the RGB or CCR's yet. Waiting to see how this first year goes before spending any more money. I'll have a 15 foot megatree using 32 channels on it alone and its ready to put up now, two arches using 8 channels each which are built already. I've got 16 mini-trees but all are pre-lit ones for outdoor use of varying sizes that I bought at the after Christmas sales. Lots and lots of LED lights and very few incandecents but some. Waiting for the SPT wire, strobes, bethleham star and the sale controllers from LOR to arrive.

This will be my first year with LOR. All my Halloween sequences are done (11 total) and I am working on the driveway arch and mausoleum for the Halloween display. I need to start sketching out my Christmas display and working on those sequences. I might need to buy about 3000 more lights, 500 of 6 different colors.

Torqumada

Guest Don Gillespie

for all you newbies don't forget to post your picture in the coffee shop show your face thread so you know who you are talking to when asking questions

Had my neightbor the electrician put in a 125 amp sub panel in the garage with 4 dedicated breakers for my controllers, 2 8 channel arches built and ready to go, have a 21 foot 16 channel mega going to mirror it with a 10 footer on the other side of the yard. holdman star completed 3 channels, 10 mini trees, strobes, red blue green and white led floods and cases and cases of new LED lights.

Halloween is actually set up in my garage right now :D two 6 foot faces 8 channels each (going to build another to mirror off of one of them so a total of 3) tobmstones and pumpkins for the yard and A LOT of strobes, 2 red led floods and 2 green led floods. We just got done making all the extension cords and blew thru 1,000 feet like nothing! Had to use a few regular cords to get the show up and running and Halloween is only 32 channels! I don't even want to know how much I'll need for Christmas.

5 songs for Christmas and 5 for Halloween I seriously want to put these things up already the wait is going to KILL ME

I'm actually thinking of making a model of my house out of coro to play with during the off months :D

Don Gillespie wrote:

for all you newbies don't forget to post your picture in the coffee shop show your face thread so you know who you are talking to when asking questions

+ 1

Since I'm a newbie till at least my first show is complete later this year, I did make a mistake with ordering strobes. In my less than perfect wisdom, I assumed the LED Strobes would be less of a power requirement of course and work nearly the same as a zenon....error, malfunction of the brain... Glad I only bought 15 of them as that makes the hurt a bit less. I hooked them up and instantly saw them all turning on and off about once a second even though they were supposed to be 180 flashes per minute which is 3 times a second. Worse, they all flash together for a solid 10 seconds or so then become more random. What a waste of money. Anyone who wants them, I'll sell them right now. I just ordered the zenon ones from CLS.