• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• caniac

• Steven

• Mark Showalter

pikadroo wrote:

I was planning on making my tree 5 colors. Red, Green, Blue, and Orange will be in the spiral and white I wanted to make straight like a normal mega tree. My thought is I would do white along support lines and bind RGBO colors together to make 1 turn. These are all going to be LED and I guess my concern is weight... Those of you that have made a weber do you think the weight of all this would be too much?

Drew

Weight is relative to the strength of your mast and guy wires...

pikadroo wrote:

Weight is relative to the strength of your mast and guy wires...

Sigh... Then I need to find a antenna tower... LOL

I mean I've seen water pipe fittings fail under vertical load and never wana see it again. I am worried about that one moment I am not looking where what your saying comes true for just a brief moment and it all comes crashing down.
I didn't mean to suggest you need a antenna tower... I had 96 100 ct C6 strings on my 16' mega tree with a 2-1/2" aluminum mast...no problems...about 150lbs of lights.

Yes, it did fall over one year, but that was because of my 9 "streamers" pulling on it from one side...the rows of lights going from the top of my mini trees to the top of my Mega tree at the top of the roof...

Attached files 312793=17101-Christmas House.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to build a ~12' Webber Tree this year and would like your input. Why does everyone build a metal conduit pole in the middle supported by guy wires instead of building a tree out of PVC? The cost would be about the same for both options, but the PVC tree seems easier to maintain and set up if you do all of the preparation ahead of time.

I found this video on YouTube. You would not need to worry about the wind snapping your pole or the guy wires becoming loose with a PVC constructed tree.

Please send me your thoughts!

I would worry about a PVC pole bending and breaking...

How many strings are you gonna use?

Have you calculated the weight of those strings?
I had over 150lbs of strings/lights on my weber tree and used 2-1/2" Aluminum....

Wind loads, etc?

If you think the cost is the same...why not use metal?

Why do you think PVC is less maintenance?

Now that this has come back up on tips for a spiral tree I need help to make sure it works out for me. I did see the formula and it was greek to me. I am using a tower and my frame at the top will have 64 hooks for the regular mega tree. I will frame this with a 2X4. Since the tower is three sided it will be a 1'x1'x1'. The base of the tree is 96' circumference and 30' tall. The mega tree has 64 channels which are 16 channels of red,green,white,multi. I am adding the spiral tree over the top of the mega tree which will have 16 channels of C6 LED white. I can understand the spacing at the top and wanting to do at least 1.5 to 2 turns on the tree. I am sure I have enough lights to make this happen. Please let me know what the spacing should be as I go down the tree. I have the excel spread sheet that I downloaded off the forum that gave me the length and where it lands on the tree as I go around. Thanks, Jeff

CKSedg wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Arnoldc wrote:
Ok, I plan and want to do a weber tree in 12' . Here is my question, if you set the tree up like a mega tree, attaching the bottom lights to a ring (inner for one direction, outer for the other direction) filling the inner one first then simply rotate the hoop one way, repeat for the outer. Will this work?

others have tried this with not much luck...just remember, as you rotate the hoop, the strings will become shorter and the hoop will raise up your mast...may be very difficult to figure out the correct length that you will need for the light strings.

If it is only going to be 12' high, I would attach the strings to the top and "walk" them around your tree...

What about a 20+ foot tree?  How do you walk them around without a terrible tangled mess?

It does get into a very tangled mess when there is a wind and it took me about 4hr to sort and "walk" around 32 strands of lights.

For those who are interested I did a How To on my website on the Spiral-Mega Tree I did for 2011. I use a JUMP - Jack Up Mega Pole for my Mega Tree.

- Quick Video Here:

- Link to the How To: http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/mega-tree.html

Hope this helps