Light-O-Rama Forums

Weber Construction Tips

Mark Showalter

jimswinder wrote:

John Slade wrote: 
Jim, I must have watched this video 20 times. Very clever I must say, but how did you "pre wrap", or "twist" all of the lights and get to the simple part of just pulling them up the mega tree pole?? Is there a 25 min video for that? :P

welll...that would have been a VERY long video...as it took me most of the last summer to do it.

I just started with one string...wrapped it around the tree with the spiral I liked and tie wrapped it to the braided strings I had (16 strings from top to bottom)...did that for each of the 24 sets of light strings (4 strings of each red, green, blue and white).

Will try and find a picture of the platform I built to do it on.

That would be awesome!! I'd love to see it!!! It sure would be nice to get my new mega tree to that point!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• caniac

• Steven

• Mark Showalter

John Slade wrote:

Will try and find a picture of the platform I built to do it on.

That would be awesome!! I'd love to see it!!! It sure would be nice to get my new mega tree to that point!!

Well...couldn't find a picture...

But I actually started setting up my Mega Tree tonight to do a few repairs...will get a picture of that tomorrow as I used the same platform..

Steven wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
You could even put sand into the PVC to make it weighted...

The disadvantages are that the sandbags are bulky and tend to get wet.

I use sandbags in numerous areas of my display. I just wrap them in a 3 mil black construction grade garbage bag. Then duct tape them closed with Gorilla black tape. Works great and they don't get wet.

John Slade wrote:

Hey John...

Took a few pics this morning of my Weber Tree Platform I built to build my Weber Tree. Basically I removed a few of the beams in the Pagoda and built a floor on top to stand on (and put a ladder on to reach the top of the tree). Then as I mentioned, just started zip tying each set of light strings one by one to each of the 16 braided lines I had going vertically around the tree.

Hope this helps...

EDIT:

This is my Mega Tree pictured here...not my Weber.

Attached files 247694=13478-Mega Tree Platform.jpg

What about a 20+ foot tree?  How do you walk them around without a terrible tangled mess?

On my 20' Weber tree I had four guy wires to anchor the masthead. The guy wires can be seen in the photo I attached at the top of this thread. You can see they are out some distance from the tree. After all the lights were raised to the top I took each of the 32 strings of lights and stretched them out over the guy wire that was closest. That way I was able to make out which string of light I should walk around the tree next and had no LED entanglements. :P

Once each of the strings of light were wrapped almost twice around the tree (when I ran out of light string length) I anchored the ends to one of the 16 steaks used to secure the light support cables into the ground.

jimswinder wrote:

John Slade wrote:

Hey John...

Took a few pics this morning of my Weber Tree Platform I built to build my Weber Tree. Basically I removed a few of the beams in the Pagoda and built a floor on top to stand on (and put a ladder on to reach the top of the tree). Then as I mentioned, just started zip tying each set of light strings one by one to each of the 16 braided lines I had going vertically around the tree.

Hope this helps...

EDIT:

This is my Mega Tree pictured here...not my Weber.

WOW!!!! Ok, so I need to stop reading forums and START WORKING ON THE MEGA SPIRAL TREE!! :]

Jim, Thats awesome!! I can't believe this is built on top of your pagoda!!! I really like that! I kinda imagined wrapping the lights as Mark Showalter has done, but prewrapped sounds really nice!!! Too many choices.. so little time!!! :]

John Slade wrote:

Jim, Thats awesome!! I can't believe this is built on top of your pagoda!!! I really like that! I kinda imagined wrapping the lights as Mark Showalter has done, but prewrapped sounds really nice!!! Too many choices.. so little time!!! :]

Pre-wrapped may sound nice...but it was a pain to do. I would go with Marks' plan if at all possible...though you would have to do it each year.

As soon as I think I know what I'm going to do, I get just a little confused. So do all the strings of lights "twist" the same way? Someone mentioned the inside twist and the outside twist. Do you actually have opposite twists?
Thanks,

Kel

kellyhaglund wrote:

As soon as I think I know what I'm going to do, I get just a little confused. So do all the strings of lights "twist" the same way? Someone mentioned the inside twist and the outside twist. Do you actually have opposite twists?

I have seen both...single twists and double reversed twists...just depends on your time, money and what effects you want...

There is a video of the double twist..will try and find it.

Edit:

Here it is...double twist AND a Mega tree all in one:

• 5 months later...

I am new to this Spiral Tree looking at putting one up next year run out of time this year have a few questions that I do not understand.

my tree will be 16 chan. 15' tall led multi color

question 1 how many strings do you use for the width of each channel ? My mega tree has 3 strings per slice of the tree

question 2 do you spiral them all to the right or right left right left etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Ben

1. By reading your question I am going to assume that you are asking about different color strings. If that is so as many as you want.

2. you can go either direction just as long as they ALL go the same direction.

If your tree is going to be 16 ch. I would only use 1 color lights all wrapped the same direction.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Schulz wrote:

What is the formula for spacing the channels at base and top/:?:?:?

lsigma.gif (n = 1..inf.gif) 1/n(2k) = (-1)(k-1) PI(2k) 2(2k) B(2k) / ( 2(2k)!)

But seriously...

Depends....do you have one string per channel?

I would divide the circumference of your top and circumference of your base by the number of strings you plan on having...

jimswinder wrote:

Mike Schulz wrote:

Brilliant, absolutely Brilliant!!!

jimswinder wrote:

Mike Schulz wrote:

But seriously...

I would divide the circumference of your top and circumference of your base by the number of strings you plan on having...

But what if "k" is not determined? If so, do we assume "B" to be greater than (k-1) but less than "n"? Then the variable in this formula would only work for small shrubbery and firesticks.

Mwhite7097 wrote:

But what if "k" is not determined? If so, do we assume "B" to be greater than (k-1) but less than "n"?

Yes...

jimswinder wrote:

Mike Schulz wrote:

But seriously...

I think you have an extra period on this formula Mike (n = 1..inf.gif)

And if you want to figure out your circumference an easier way use this http://math.about.com/library/blcirclecalculator.htm and since everything comes out in 10ths use this to get a close inches http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/