Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Transmitter Questions

GalenInTn

texascop wrote:

I may be totally wrong about this but I think there is another restriction. You cannot transmit on a frequency that is in use in your area. In otherwords, if you are 100% in compliance with the output and distance requirements but knock a licensed station off the air in the 1-400 feet you transmit, it is a violation. I think there is a rule as to how far away the licensed is. If that station comes in from 1000 miles away on a skip, it is not a violation.

Anyone up on that or did I dream it?

Part 15 equipment (our low power FM transmitters among others) may not cause interference to any licensed station. Don't worry about out of region FM stations you may be hearing due to "skip", or even regional ones you don't receive except when there is ducting.

So yes, you need to pick a clear frequency to avoid interferring with a neighbor's reception of a licensed station.

If the neighbor should lodge a complaint with the FCC you will be instructed to cease broadcasting on that frequency (you could continue on another assuming your gear is part 15 compliant of course).

This really is not a difficult issue. Follow these few steps and you will be fine:

1) pick a clear frequency

2) don't broadcast obscenities, threats ,etc

3) don't use transmitters that exceed part 15 requirements. As a guide make sure the radio isn't rated for more than 25 milliwatts output, and avoid the use of high gain outside antennas. As a rough rule of thumb you will be safe with a signal that goes about 200 feet. Outside of people whose display sits back 500 feet from the road, etc that range should work well for folks watching your display.

That's about all there is to it!

Greg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max-Paul

• Greg Young

• GalenInTn

• dominic

2250Lights,

Why do you think anyone would be offended by you being happy with a WH2 transmitter? If it works for you great. I personally advise people to stay away. Why you might ask. Well if you read as many horror stories by people buying one and either have a good first year, but a crappy 2nd year using it. Or its a POS from the get go. So, it appear that you might become a member of the first group, cause your first year was good. But then too, you might be happy with it for a life time.

All I can say is great. I am happy that your experience has for filled all that you wanted from it and your happy. Thus I am happy for you. And if anyone has issues, tough.

Guest Don Gillespie

Max-Paul wrote:

2250Lights,

Why do you think anyone would be offended by you being happy with a WH2 transmitter? If it works for you great. I personally advise people to stay away. Why you might ask. Well if you read as many horror stories by people buying one and either have a good first year, but a crappy 2nd year using it. Or its a POS from the get go. So, it appear that you might become a member of the first group, cause your first year was good. But then too, you might be happy with it for a life time.

All I can say is great. I am happy that your experience has for filled all that you wanted from it and your happy. Thus I am happy for you. And if anyone has issues, tough.

I agree with you Max-Paul the first year went well with the WHT however this last year sucked couldn't get the volume right, will be investing in an EDM for this year

thanks for the feedback! I may have to do some regular tests with my WHT to make sure I am still happy with it throughout the year and will have enough time to find an alternative if I need one.

I sat with my radio and made sure that I didn't go over a regular radio station's signal/output. But no harm in making absolute sure.

There's probably other posts on here that have information on making signs for people to know which radio station to listen to. But if I made printed out a sign from my computer, made a wooden box, put a light in that box and then put the printed sheets behind some plexi-glass...would that suffice for a good sign?? Thanks again for the great advice :P

Clint

2250Lights wrote:

thanks for the feedback! I may have to do some regular tests with my WHT to make sure I am still happy with it throughout the year and will have enough time to find an alternative if I need one.

I sat with my radio and made sure that I didn't go over a regular radio station's signal/output. But no harm in making absolute sure.

There's probably other posts on here that have information on making signs for people to know which radio station to listen to. But if I made printed out a sign from my computer, made a wooden box, put a light in that box and then put the printed sheets behind some plexi-glass...would that suffice for a good sign?? Thanks again for the great advice :D

Clint

That would work. You could also use a piece of coro, and minilights to tell folks where they should listen.

Quite a few use the latter method.

Greg

Lucky you. My WH2 FM transmitter worked great when I got it but when I went to use it for my christmas display is wouldn't transmit completely. I figured out after taking it appart that the audio jack wat half broken off of the unit and I had only used it once! It might have been a defective unit but I think it was just poor quality parts. For this year I will purchase a MBB.