Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Transmitter Questions

GalenInTn

GalenInTn wrote:

I came home on the 26th and my radio transmitter wasn't working. After alot of attempts to get it working and even more cussing, I realized it was dead. So, it's time for a replacement. I've been looking at the Mobile Black Box and the EDM. But, I want to know about the value, quality, pluses and drawbacks of each. If there are other transmitters out there worth looking at, do tell.

I use one from ebay. No name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-5W-500mW-Fm-PLL-Stereo-Transmitter-broadcast-station-/300460113070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4d17cae

Ask BrianC, how he likes his? He has the same thing as me, and its by far been well worth the money. I have had my for 2 years, with no issues. EVER!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max-Paul

• Greg Young

• GalenInTn

• dominic

What about the various EDM models? Is there any difference between the LED and the LCD other than the display?

With all the complaints on the WHT, I'd think that we as a group (or at least all those disgruntled WHT users) petition Dan to find some other make / model / supplier for a radio that he can stand behind (and not for cover either), for newbies or not.. There are just too many good models out there.. type-accepted, that have superior performance to the WHT 1 or 2 that we are already using that he can pick with or without having to buy to test out..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

With all the complaints on the WHT, I'd think that we as a group (or at least all those disgruntled WHT users) petition Dan to find some other make / model / supplier for a radio that he can stand behind (and not for cover either), for newbies or not.. There are just too many good models out there.. type-accepted, that have superior performance to the WHT 1 or 2 that we are already using that he can pick with or without having to buy to test out..

Yes, but keep in mind. The WHT, is one of the only ones that's FCC part15 complaint. I would guess at least 75% of the ones used my the LOR community are NOT FCC part15 complaint, like mine, bought from eBay.

If LOR did decide to go with one that was not, and a customer did get into trouble, than they may have a case to sue, because LOR sold it to them. See! Thats why I believe they only sell FCC part15 complaint ones.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Yes, but keep in mind. The WHT, is one of the only ones that's FCC part15 complaint. I would guess at least 75% of the ones used my the LOR community are NOT FCC part15 complaint, like mine, bought from eBay.

If LOR did decide to go with one that was not, and a customer did get into trouble, than they may have a case to sue, because LOR sold it to them. See! Thats why I believe they only sell FCC part15 complaint ones.

and they want to avoid potential trouble with the FCC, such as companies like Ramsey (and others) ran into from selling products in the US that were not type accepted....

Greg

i use a HLLY 20 watt fm transmitter. transmitted about 2 miles with ant. on the ground. if i would have put it on the roof, i think it would have transmitted at least 4 miles. look on Ebay

dominic wrote:

i use a HLLY 20 watt fm transmitter. transmitted about 2 miles with ant. on the ground. if i would have put it on the roof, i think it would have transmitted at least 4 miles. look on Ebay

Something tells me that's not legal.:shock:

Plus, I don't want that kind of range, just a quarter mile at the most.

HLLY makes a smaller unit. 5watt that will go 1/4 mile. i was very impressed with sound quality of HLLY. i had a lot of good comments from 2009 to 2010 on my fm transmitter.

Dominic

dominic wrote:

You are joking, right?:?

A 20 watt transmitter with an outside antenna is more powerful than many of the legally licensed low power FM stations (which start with licensing to stations as low as 1 watt).

Your unit would go way beyond 4 miles! Heck, a 0.5 (1/2) watt transmitter with a good outside antenna, and few obstacles would easily go 4 or 5 miles.

If you get caught running that type of power, I can assure you that you will be on the receiving end of a signficant fine, not just a NAL!:shock:

Greg

dominic wrote:

HLLY makes a smaller unit. 5watt that will go 1/4 mile. i was very impressed with sound quality of HLLY. i had a lot of good comments from 2009 to 2010 on my fm transmitter.

Dominic

Its people like you who will give the rest of us a bad name. And send the FCC out to check out a good number of displays. Remember, they can say that because a good number of us are breaking the rules that they need to hire more people. Got to remember, in the government, its all about building kingdoms. And there is no better way to increase their funding than via fines. Ever notice how some small cities are know to be radar traps? Shoot they can really real in the funds with speed traps. Same holds true for government departments like the FCC.

So, please spewing out bad info. Notice how I tell people how to reduce their signal when buying the MBB E4000 to something of a reasonable level. Beside Greg is closer to the truth about propagation distances. Shoot with 25 watts in the 144Mhz band I could go at least 15 miles maybe more at times.

wow, did this conversation go the wrong way or what. all i was suggestion was check out HLLY fm transmitters. giving us a bad name...what are you talking about huh...i thought i was part of this group, trying to help just like everyone else.

i don't know watts and how far, but i know that my signal went a little over a mile.

i do know that i had a cheeper tansmitter that sounded like crap, so i bought a nicer one.

sorry i was just trying to help.

maybe you shouldn't attack people before you know. my family and i spend countless hours(well over 100 hours this year) putting together a show for people to enjoy and to give is the lesson.

the transmitter is only one part of the show, my main focus was collecting food for the Mid Ohio Food Bank witch we collected over 500 items this year.

happy new year!!

Dominic

dominic,

You have been a member here for over 3 yrs now. Dont tell me you have not seen the threads about FCC Part 15. How unlic FM band transmitters are not suppose to go much further than 200 - 300 feet. And yet you talk freely about transmitting much further than that. Now if you had really read my previous post. You would understand I was talking about FCC will start to realize that they have a lot of people out there around Christmas time violating Part 15 and feel the need to crack down on our displays. Even ones that might be slightly out of specs, but have not been causing any problems.

Its one thing to be slightly over the line. It's another thing to thumb your nose at a government agency and run power that is 100 times higher than is recognized as legal. And as I have mentioned, I actually tell people how to make their transmitters that are to powerful to lower their power out to their antennas. BTW I have also beat the drum telling people to stay away from a transmitter that has a proven track record to not work well.

So, yes. If you promote a transmitter that is clearly illegal in the configuration that it comes in. State how you can hear your transmitter miles away. Then yes, I am going to give you a hard time about it. Some of these new people do not even have a clue about Part 15 as of yet. So, I suppose you and I are doing them a service and teaching them the difference between legal and illegal.

Just reread your last post. I see it now! You have been called on your wrong doings and so you go on the defense and counter attack and play dumb. I see what you are doing and will not sit idly by and let your redirect the issue.

you are correct i have been a member for over three years, but your assumption is wrong. i have never read anything about fcc part 15.

i have spent my time trying to make my show better.

i also mentioned that HILLY makes a smaller unit that might work just fine. since you are so up to date on transmitters maybe you should look in to HLLY as an option.

so lets not worry about my wrong doings, i will take responsibility for my actions.

again you have taken this way to far.....my only intent was to try and help.

so anyone reading this don't use the transmitter that i use, you might look at a smaller HILLY unit

Dominic

There was a long discussion about this last autumn. The following link should take you to the posts: http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=23667&forum_id=81

The FCC Part 15 regulations limit the power of an approved transmitter to 0.01 watts, which should give a range of about 200 feet. Note that the antenna used also has to be approved for the radio it is connected to.

Regards,

Alan.

Ok, so a lot of great information on here :) So thank you all who have contributed. Just finished my first year with LOR and the Whole House Transmitter 2 (sorry if that offends anyone :P I somewhat wish I would have read much more about everything on here before I jumped, but just a couple of things.

A lot of the photos on here that I've seen, according to their signs, show that people run rather high frequencies. Is there any difference in the fequency you run your signals? Like does it make the sound better or something or is it just safer and easier to broadcast in such a high frequency as to almost guarentee that there will be no interference from other commercial stations?

Second, I haven't really had any problems with my unit. Keep in mind that it is only it's first year running. But I am pretty happy with mine, I put it right next to the window and I did several tests with my own car and it reaches 4 houses down to the end of my street. I live on the end of a culdesac (and I am definately lucky with that location!). Just my input on that. Something that might make me switch to Mobile Black Box would definately be cost, but I don't want to mess with all the little 'tweaks' to ensure that I don't do anything illegal.

Thanks again for all of the input and information on here!

2250Lights wrote:

Ok, so a lot of great information on here :) So thank you all who have contributed. Just finished my first year with LOR and the Whole House Transmitter 2 (sorry if that offends anyone :) I somewhat wish I would have read much more about everything on here before I jumped, but just a couple of things.

A lot of the photos on here that I've seen, according to their signs, show that people run rather high frequencies. Is there any difference in the fequency you run your signals? Like does it make the sound better or something or is it just safer and easier to broadcast in such a high frequency as to almost guarentee that there will be no interference from other commercial stations?

Second, I haven't really had any problems with my unit. Keep in mind that it is only it's first year running. But I am pretty happy with mine, I put it right next to the window and I did several tests with my own car and it reaches 4 houses down to the end of my street. I live on the end of a culdesac (and I am definately lucky with that location!). Just my input on that. Something that might make me switch to Mobile Black Box would definately be cost, but I don't want to mess with all the little 'tweaks' to ensure that I don't do anything illegal.

Thanks again for all of the input and information on here!

Frequencies are usually chosen based on what is available in the location you are operating from. There should be essentially no difference in performance between high and low frequencies with the units available today. Audio wise there will certainly be no difference based on frequency selection.

It sounds like your range is more than adequate to meet your needs, so if you are pleased with the audio quality I would recommend you keep what you have, and spend the $$ you would have used for other display elements.

Greg

I may be totally wrong about this but I think there is another restriction. You cannot transmit on a frequency that is in use in your area. In otherwords, if you are 100% in compliance with the output and distance requirements but knock a licensed station off the air in the 1-400 feet you transmit, it is a violation. I think there is a rule as to how far away the licensed is. If that station comes in from 1000 miles away on a skip, it is not a violation.

Anyone up on that or did I dream it?