Light-O-Rama Forums

sale??

bryan wilson

I never admidted my answer "wasn't so hot" and I am pretty sure you have my sentence confused with someone else’s because you totally miss-quoted my message. And by-the-way, I never take offence, even if it is intended.

I also don't consider it "beating a dead hourse." I think it is more like poking it with a stick. Also, it was an easy question and I gave him an easy answer.

As for searching, I did a quick search and came up with:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21957&forum_id=81

and

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21826&forum_id=72

and

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21626&forum_id=25

and I'm not even trying hard.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garyfunk

• rabeebe

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

Top Posters In This Topic

garyfunk wrote:

Thank you for proving my point. I would think that a newbie that has questions about the LOR sale would search for "sale" or maybe even "LOR sale" which turns up nothing. (When looking up old stuff I have visited, I rarely rely on the LOR search function since it is so weak, but rather rely on my browser memory--if I type "LOR sale" in my address bar, it pulls up about 8 threads on the sale that I previously visited, including the ones I shared in my answer to the OP.) That is maybe why he needed the wisdom and experience of a forum veteran such as yourself to help find the answer since you might know the other ways or lingo used to describe the topic better and make a better search. Heck, it looks like you possibly could have even found the answers with one hand tied behind your back. :P

And BTW, here are your own words:
garyfunk wrote:
Yes, I should have given him a better answer,...

OK, so if you want to continue to poke this horse with your stick :shock: then go ahead, but I don't think I want to participate.

DonFL wrote:

Hang around..don't judge the entire forum or the people on it by this one thread....

I'm sure I will. Just making a point of some hiding behind a keyboard.

I have been lurking for almost a year. Bought 2 controllers during the Clearance Sale last year, and plan on at least one more this year. Didn't have the opportunity to sequence this year, so I'm starting now for next.

BTW, I spent most of my time on here reading, and filtering. Just as the Newbie Forum Guidelines state, there are no dumb questions.

Buy extension cords? Why?

Get a roll of SPT wire and connectors, make your own, much more economical and more flexible.

It's been almost 3 years since I've bought an extension cord and I add more controllers and lights every year.

JBullard wrote:

Get a roll of SPT wire and connectors, make your own, much more economical and more flexible.

It's been almost 3 years since I've bought an extension cord and I add more controllers and lights every year.

You are correct!! I bought a roll this year and wish I would have bought 3 instead. Got my ends from Home Depot on line for like $30.00 for 100.

JBullard wrote:

Have more than enough extensions cords to run to controllers. Plan on using SPT from controllers to the display items/lights. My main problem will be power. I live in a new home (3 yrs old), and we put a pool in right away. The two empty breaker slots I had, went for use on the sub-panel for the pool (70 Amp). Since it is a new community, the power company will not run another service to our home (HOA thing). I think I can replace the 70 AMP breaker with a 100, and run it to a 100 Amp sub-panel, then run the pool sub-panel off it. I never pull more than 20 Amps off the pool sub-panel during the winter. It's too cold to run the Heat pump which draws the most.

Any thoughts of running a Sub panel off another?

Hey everyone! I am also researching for next year. I am so happy to see that not all threads are a messed up as this one. I have been able to get most of my answers by browsing the topics, but I agree the search function of this forum is all but broken.

I do have a few questions, but I will start a new thread so that the topic will make it easier for other newbies to browse for answers.

Have a Happy New Year,

Ryan

shfr26 wrote:

JBullard wrote:

You are correct!! I bought a roll this year and wish I would have bought 3 instead. Got my ends from Home Depot on line for like $30.00 for 100.

Alrighty! Someone from my neck of the woods, IE: Goose Creek :P

We can put our heads together and create a display from Summerville to you! LOL

Welcome :)

rabeebe wrote:

Have more than enough extensions cords to run to controllers. Plan on using SPT from controllers to the display items/lights. My main problem will be power. I live in a new home (3 yrs old), and we put a pool in right away. The two empty breaker slots I had, went for use on the sub-panel for the pool (70 Amp). Since it is a new community, the power company will not run another service to our home (HOA thing). I think I can replace the 70 AMP breaker with a 100, and run it to a 100 Amp sub-panel, then run the pool sub-panel off it. I never pull more than 20 Amps off the pool sub-panel during the winter. It's too cold to run the Heat pump which draws the most.

Another advantage of using LED lights. Don't have to pay $$ for electrical upgrades.

I use two 15 amp outlets for 480 channels and over 40,000 LED lights

Bob Wingert wrote:

Alrighty! Someone from my neck of the woods, IE: Goose Creek :P

We can put our heads together and create a display from Summerville to you! LOL

Welcome :)

Thanks Bob. I have seen your display and exchanged emails with you. Looking forward to the New year.

Great display BTW.

JBullard wrote:

rabeebe wrote:

Another advantage of using LED lights. Don't have to pay $$ for electrical upgrades.

Thanks J. I will run mostly LEDs. Just picked up 38 more boxes of 100ct on the 24th from HD. The only incadescent lights I have are 9 strings of Icicles and some blow ups. And the rest of my lights are all LEDs. Started changing over for just this reason. Of course the blow ups won't be controlled. I do have two open slots on my pool sub-panel, so that may be enough. Need to get a Kill-o-watt meter and check it out.

JBullard wrote:

John,

What do you consider a good surce for the best connectors? I've bought several in the past and none of them seem to be of great quaility.

I've never experienced quality issues with mine, lucky I guess.

I usually order some from CDI when I order my lights on the presale.

I also order from Novelty lights and for the past two years have gotten in on the Home Depot deals.

I probably have several hundred M & F in inventory now for SPT 1 wire as well as about 50 each for SPT 2 wire. I don't use much SPT 2. Mainly for if I cut up an extension cord.

JBullard wrote:

That makes me feel a whole lot better about expanding! I ran 48CH and 15K LED's off of 1 20A breaker. Was concerned when I started to expand? Guess I'll be ok.

garyfunk wrote:

JBullard wrote:

John,

What do you consider a good surce for the best connectors? I've bought several in the past and none of them seem to be of great quaility.

I got my spt and connectors from CDI...100% satisfied. Even when there were instances where I probably had an extension cord I could have used, I just made a custom cord anyway.

I bought 3000 feet and a bazillion plugs and sockets, way overestimated on what I would need....

DonFL wrote:

I bought 3000 feet and a bazillion plugs and sockets, way overestimated on what I would need....

Don't worry, they won't go to waste. You will use them, and one of the reasons I like to keep inventory on hand, is I have what I need when I need it.