Light-O-Rama Forums

Enclosure wiring question

Chris A

Max - Either I misunderstood the original question or I failed at understanding your response. Assuming the original question referred to labeling the dongles hanging down outside the box, how will labeling them inside the box be of benefit to helping someone know which dongle is which when they go to connect lights to the controller?

NY Yankee - What I use is a white-colored paint pen. At first I was concerned that the white color would show but I've since learned that no one even thinks of looking with hundreds of channels dazzling them with light. The white is easy to see up close in the dark for troubleshooting and such. I don't know how long the paint will last, but my first controllers from 2008 still look fine.

Hi George,
Well if you actually look back at the first post in this thread. It was about wiring receptacles. Then it morphed into dongles. And I morphed it about marking wires going to quick connects. If you look at the post before mine, you will see wires that have markers on wire ends. So, your reply is not addressing the original question either.
Looks like we both are off topic along with several others. But that is how some post go I suppose. It morphs and before long it is no longer addressing the OPs post or issue.

So, do you feel a reason to call me out about my post? If so, I suppose I should have issues with your post. I am sorry that you should feel the need to dump. And I am sorry that my little post got you irked enough to say something.

George Simmons wrote:

Max - Either I misunderstood the original question or I failed at understanding your response. Assuming the original question referred to labeling the dongles hanging down outside the box, how will labeling them inside the box be of benefit to helping someone know which dongle is which when they go to connect lights to the controller?

NY Yankee - What I use is a white-colored paint pen. At first I was concerned that the white color would show but I've since learned that no one even thinks of looking with hundreds of channels dazzling them with light. The white is easy to see up close in the dark for troubleshooting and such. I don't know how long the paint will last, but my first controllers from 2008 still look fine.

Max-Paul wrote:
Hi George,
Well if you actually look back at the first post in this thread. It was about wiring receptacles. Then it morphed into dongles. And I morphed it about marking wires going to quick connects. If you look at the post before mine, you will see wires that have markers on wire ends. So, your reply is not addressing the original question either.
Looks like we both are off topic along with several others. But that is how some post go I suppose. It morphs and before long it is no longer addressing the OPs post or issue.

So, do you feel a reason to call me out about my post? If so, I suppose I should have issues with your post. I am sorry that you should feel the need to dump. And I am sorry that my little post got you irked enough to say something.

Gentlemen...if it helps at all, I label mine both places (since I label them all before I connect them, or even insert them through the hole in the enclosure). That way I know for sure that what I am connecting to the board for ch1 is also what I am connecting to the lights for ch1. Once the cables are installed on the board, then the inside labels serve me no purpose any longer. :D

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Once the cables are installed on the board, then the inside labels serve me no purpose any longer. :D

Actually, that's not entirely true... although I agree with labeling both ends and I do it that way myself.:D It's possible though that you'll one day encounter a board in need of service. Been there - it saves a lot of time to have the inside ends labeled. Opening the case to re-install the board and seeing all those connectors bunched up like 4 obscene flower bouquets could really be a disappointing sight without labels.

And I'm sorry Max. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But sometimes you say goofy things and I can't always stop myself from wondering out load what you meant...

Oh well George,
You see me as goofy. And yet I have had a few that thanked me for my tid bits.
I suppose I cant be helpful to everyone.
Shalom.
No I am not Jewish. But I have fallen in love with the word. This one word has so many meanings and brings them all together in one simple word.

Max-Paul wrote:

This one word has so many meanings and brings them all together in one simple word.

Okay - I'll bite...

How is the one to whom such a word is being spoken (who might not know any of the word's meanings in the first place) supposed to know exactly which meaning is intended?

PS - I didn't say you were goofy, Max. I don't know you well enough for that. What I said was that you sometimes say goofy things.

Thanks Jim - now I understand...

Good one! I can see I'm quickly losing my crown as resident wit. Or is that half-wit? :shock:

George Simmons wrote:

Good one! I can see I'm quickly losing my crown as resident wit. Or is that half-wit? :shock:

for me it's nit-wit

I was going to comment on Georges goofy statements but I figured I better not - "Better to be quiet and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" - I think George knows me well enough - you all can call me goofy any old time, in fact Goofy Old Man fits well too... LOL

Steve - thanks for clearing up the screw connections issue - as a Safety Trainer I always said - when in doubt contact the licensed electrician. Folks, its always - "Safety First" with our shows. So many ignore the GFCI wiring and fire it up without - - wire it safely - wire it right - keep things simple and youll have a good night... (Poet now - how goofy). With just over 240 channels in our show, I have learned lots over the years on keeping the show running, there are 10 GFCI's in my power system. If one trips I still have most of my show running. If 4 trip I shut the show down. They will come back another night.

For simplicity I use zip cord coming from my controllers and I don't label a thing - just plug it in and see what happens - no just kidding - I mark the ends wether they be small or extension cord ends I write the number on the plug with a sharpie - works good now for 6 years.

Hang loose, and have a fun season - remember its about those smiles and giggles .

Happy Trails...

George,

google is my friend.

Strong's Concordance 7965 - Hebrew Shalom ..... A word study in the New King James version for SHALOM says: Completeness, wholeness, health, peace, welfare, safety soundness, tranquility, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, the absence of agitation or discord

Oh and almost forgot to address your question. Well George, I meant all of the meanings, not just one or two, but all of them. Otherwise I would have only spoken those one or two and not have used Shalom.

jimswinder wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

for me it's nit-wit

And just to clarify...I was calling ME a nit-wit, not you George!!!

jimswinder wrote:

And just to clarify...I was calling ME a nit-wit, not you George!!!

Hey - I spent 7 years in the Army and the past 40 years in the presence of women. I can assure you that I've been called worse on many, many occasions.

We label our dongles as 'Controller #-Channel #', when using long 10' dongles is can get confusing as to what controller, and channel you have in your hand.

Tails.JPG

On the interior we do not label the wires, since I modify a metal enclosure and tap and gromit my own holes, the wire sequence is all the same on all the enclosures.

Overview.JPG

It's just what we do, it works for us.

Rick,

You also must have been a Boy Scout (this is a good thing). I see you have taped a spare fuse to the lid. Great idea and think that I will do the same when I pull my controllers out of storage and get them ready to be installed this fall.

Yes, in the early days, I did blow quite a few fuses, especially when the reporters wanted to take still photos with all-on, nothing worse than looking for a quick blow fuse when you need it now!

• 3 weeks later...

Never have used these, but they might interest somebody for labeling cords, especially since the price is right.

Color Numeric Coded Cable Cord Organization Markers, from Number "0" to Number "9", 100pcs Markers
(Item#253-813-002)

2 packs (normally $3.58)
$0.99 w/Code: MLCK253813083072NL1 For First 1000 Orders
Free Shipping

http://www.meritline.com/color-numeric-coded-cable-markers-813---p-36149.aspx

253-813_2_.jpg253-813_1_.jpg
253-813.jpg