Light-O-Rama Forums

Can I use Cat5 as an extension cord?

javerill

I would concur with Jeff. Just to make things more fun for me my wife runs a daycare on our property. Each year she has an annual state inspection with the whole white glove thing.

So all of my wiring and displays get an inspection and I have to take additional steps to ensure that my display is child proof from a state licensing prospective.

Being a safety inspector my self for the Federal Government it has been interesting when I have had one state inspector that starting telling that my wiring setup did not meet code. He did not know me or my background. I asked him what particular code was I violating that he was going to cite me for. All of my extension cords plug into twist lock covers so if a cord is removed the plug in point is automatically covered. He tried to take issue with so I went and pulled out a copy my NEMA code book and asked him to show me where I was in violation. The guy was on a power trip and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find some violation to write me or my wife for. He went away disappointed because he could not find anything wrong.

I do take safety very seriously and yes it does add to my setup time and take down time. And sometimes it limits what I can do as far as my displays because of safety concerns. Do I regret any of that. NO WAY! When it is all done and up and going and there are so many that come and enjoy the lights year after year that is what makes it so much fun and rewarding. It also does not hurt that I get a little bit of advertising out of it for wives's daycare. :P

toddmoon wrote:

The guy was on a power trip and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find some violation to write me or my wife for.

I haven't met an inspector yet that wasn't on a power trip (except the federal ones like yourself of course!! LOL).

But unfortunately, they do have the power to stop a building project REAL fast, so I just bite my tongue and say "Yes Sir" a lot and try to get on their good side...

No sense making waves whether they are right or wrong..what bugs me is when you have one inspector tell you that you need to do it "this" way...and then a different inspector comes out and says you have to do it "that" way.

So glad there is no "different interpretation" to codes... :)

I have a whole set of 12V RGB LED floods (Big Clive design) running on CAT5.

http://www.d-light.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1811

This is low current, low voltage.

Someone mentioned POE (Power over Ethernet). Cisco does it and has UL approval for it, so does HP.

Some of you who don't really understand the relationship between current, voltage, insulation, ampacity, etc... need to just stay out of the conversations.

JonB256 wrote:

Some of you who don't really understand the relationship between current, voltage, insulation, ampacity, etc... need to just stay out of the conversations.

Did you have someone specific in mind, or are you simply referring to the vast majority of us who don't match your level of technical prowess? Last I heard, this was a place where people came to ask questions and learn things. And pardon my bluntness, but are you always such a pompous ass? Or are we just catching you on a bad day?

The OP didn't ask how many low-voltage LED spots YOU use, sir. He asked if HE could use cat5 as a replacement for extension cords that power existing light sets on HIS windows. If you're looking to impress, how about adding something useful to that discussion?

DON'T use Cat5 wire in my opinion. Keep your eyes open @ local super stores. Can usually find great deals at one of them every couple of months when they are changing there stock in the electrical section. Two months ago, I picked a 500' spools of 18g wire for 80% off.

I'm a member of several different sites and about every 3 or 4 months someone will ask if it's OK to run line power through CAT5 network cable.

I've been tempted to video a controlled demo to show the catastrophic results. Then my sanity returns and I decide the danger is too high to even attempt.:shock: